Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric? >

Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's totally ludicrous to suggest that people switch from nitro to electric because they can't tune an engine. It's not like it's difficult to tune an engine, it's really easy actually.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

My comments on these Nitro engines is because i believe they are not proper engines.

4 cilinders and up deserves my attention.

I'm only interested when i see camshafts, turbos, intercoolers, ECU's, ...

And comments about spelling are low-shot on a international forum, you do know not all people speak english native dont you?

i never even learned english in school. i dont think many off you dudes can write a language you learned by just reading it. HA!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abramsM1
It's totally ludicrous to suggest that people switch from nitro to electric because they can't tune an engine. It's not like it's difficult to tune an engine, it's really easy actually.
Agreed
Its cool people like electric but I wouldnt be in the hobby if it wasnt for nitro.
Electric just doesnt do it for me
Old 05-15-2009, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MadRussian
Agreed
Its cool people like electric but I wouldnt be in the hobby if it wasnt for nitro.
Electric just doesnt do it for me
+1 to that.

To me racing electric because its easy is just lazy, if you like electric cars fine. Ill agree they can be much faster, and have more torque and need less maintenance but to me part of this hobby is wrenching on it. I dont think 1/8E will ever over take nitro just maybe become another full class, maybe replace the MT class (its disapearing where I race).

To each their own but I would much rather hear a nitro breathing offroad missle coming down the track then a Lipo powered flashlight.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
My comments on these Nitro engines is because i believe they are not proper engines.

4 cilinders and up deserves my attention.

I'm only interested when i see camshafts, turbos, intercoolers, ECU's, ...

And comments about spelling are low-shot on a international forum, you do know not all people speak english native dont you?

i never even learned english in school. i dont think many off you dudes can write a language you learned by just reading it. HA!
Wasn't directed at you. Just thought nitro might do that to someone.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

ive got nothing against both types,
IMO
1/8 off road should stay nitro and only nitro 1/10 off road should be electric, 1/8 on road should be nitro, 1/10 on road should be electric, anything smaller than 1/10 should be electric.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

On the comment of " in my area most electric racers came to nitro" i wish to ask:

Is it because they want nitro or because they want the bigger 1/8th cars?

Because i think lots of people dont care about the nitro vs electric thing.

i'm all electric when it comes down to RC. it has good grounded reasons for me.

But i see ALOT of people that like both just the same.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

A few months back there were issues with getting nitromethane so it was becoming increasingly difficult for the rc industry to get it from China. That coupled with the rising gas prices caused the price to go up. When fuel is $35-45 per gallon, all of the sudden, electric doesn't look so expensive. That had an effect overall, but now that things have sort of stabilized, that might not be as much of an issue.

Otherwise, it could be a combination of things. One for sure is that the electric guys with no nitro experiance can jump into 1/8 and be competitive and be in their "own realm". That might be part of it (class growing) and of course, virtually anyone can plug in a battery and go out on the track.

Advantages of electric, less mess, less potential problems, ease of use, etc....

And everyone can debate that the electrics are faster than their nitro counterparts and of course, this can be proven to be both true and false. Once again, it is cubic dollars at work. Take the best nitro setup vs a middle of the road electric setup and you win and vice versa.

My opinion is that with electric, you can very easily run 2 classes and not worry about spending as much wrench time in the pits.

The downside of electric...no noise, sort of lose the "racing" factors, etc..
The upside of electric...you can run indoors all year round and you can drive it at your home without a noise complaint from the neighbors.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:26 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Noise is a huge problem for some tracks so in order to stay open many guys switch to electric. I know 2 tracks in are area already had this problem and one is now closed and the 2nd one if they don't go to electric will be closed down by the township authority. If you don't have many tracks to choose from switching and running electric is better than racing nothing if you want your track to stay open.

Not everyone wants to hear the noise and one person is all it takes to close places down or cause huge problems for track owners.

Just run what you like and have a good time doing it.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Here in Belgium there where 3 or 4 huge nitro on-road tracks, all dead or bleeding out because of the noise.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used to be all about Nitro and never interested in the least about 1/8 electric. Till I drove one that is..... I am a motorcycle technician for a living and love motors and is the reason I got into RC (nitro motors). I loved the sound and tuning and the fact it was a real motor. Well now my thoughts have changed. I have 2 1/8 electrics and will be making the full switch very soon. So much easier to drive, no pitman, no stalling, no flaming out, no dead starter boxes etc. and the power . Yes I will miss the smell and sound of nitro but for all the rest of the benefits of electric, I will be just fine
Old 05-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vnmsgt
I used to be all about Nitro and never interested in the least about 1/8 electric. Till I drove one that is..... I am a motorcycle technician for a living and love motors and is the reason I got into RC (nitro motors). I loved the sound and tuning and the fact it was a real motor. Well now my thoughts have changed. I have 2 1/8 electrics and will be making the full switch very soon. So much easier to drive, no pitman, no stalling, no flaming out, no dead starter boxes etc. and the power . Yes I will miss the smell and sound of nitro but for all the rest of the benefits of electric, I will be just fine
Well said! When I let someone drive my electric 1/8 scale their eyes light up and they talk about how they must have one!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Ask me a few years ago, I would say nitro all the way... But lipos and brushless technology have came a long way. A track opened up not too long ago near me and they race electric offroad. If they allowed nitro, I'm sure thats what I would have been running, particularly 1/8th nitro buggy. But instead, I got into 1/8th electric buggies and I love it. So much more faster than my old nitro buggy and my setup was actually cheaper.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

How many of you guys saying "no electric for me" have actually ever raced electric? And as far as it not being as good of racing, BS. If you have a 5 minute race to get your job done, there is a LOT more pressure not to bobble, you don't have 30 minutes to dick around and make up time, if a 5 minute main for an electric class is competetive, then one bobble can put you from first to last, now that's a race in my opinion.

P.S. I run nitro all the time, but electric will always be better in my book
Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The thing I like about nitro is that to run well you have to be good at so many things you can't just know how to drive well you have to know how to tune the motor and your car, know when to come in for fuel , know when to take a chance on going that extra lap and not running out of fuel, there always a chance your pit guy is having a bad day and cost you a race, fliping your car and have it flame out. there is so many things that can happen that even the slow guy can when a race every now and then and hopefully that slow guy is me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.