Community
Wiki Posts
Search

losi drama

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Default losi drama

hey all! im new to this site and new 2 the sport. have a basher but wanted 2 get into racing so i bought myself a losi 8ight T2.0 rtr. was just running it in using heat cycle method and i noticed is was incredibly rich! fuel dripping out of exhaust. so after doing 3 cycles at 3mins with sock on head to get it up 2 temp i decided i shud check the needles. hsp was 5 out lsp was 3 and idle was 3 2/12. i thought this was odd considering the manual states (afta break-in)if tuning goes wrong reset both hsp and lsp to 2.5 turns out. so i thought, considering the fuel it was chewing and wouldn't keep temp if i took the sock off, i should make adjustments to the hsp to which i changed to 3.5 turns out, and lsp i screwed in to get exact amount of turns it was to write down. and screwed it back out. then when i went to start her up again on the box i gav it a little blip of throttle and the thing started reving like crazy!! so i hit the breaks and it slowed the revs down. it was just idling on the box and with no throttle movement at all from my transmitter or servo it revved like crazy again! i didn't know wtf i had done wrong!!! then i thought mayb something was stuck so i tried again 2 give it a few blips to clear anything out but then again revved like crazy with no throttle movement. i have no idea what could be wrong. if it was interference on my 2.4 dx3s then wouldn't my servo move? i neva touched the idle screw either and piston was always returned to bdc. any help would be appreciated. im only new to the sport and don't know what would cause this.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 AM
Tech Adept

Sounds like you may have screwed the LS needle in too far and shoved the throttle slide out, meaning that the throttle is part open all the time. Wind the LSN out again and see if it helps?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The initial settings you changed were for break in. You leaned out both needles but did not drop the idle also. I recommend you set them back and continue breaking in the motor. Fuel coming out of the exhaust is normal during break in and is what you want. Adjustments should be made in small increments. How much fuel do you have through it? Break in should take anywhere from 3/4 to 1-1/2 gallons.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

You should read the Bibles at the top of the thread....
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

In addition to what they have said, make sure the throttle servo is going all the way back to the idle position with the trigger at neutral. Sounds like your trim could be off.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
Please click me before continuing.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...eak-bible.html
Old 09-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Or just open the instruction manual (shudder) and read the break in procedure.

Better yet, have your wife or girlfriend open the manual and read it to you, this way you keep your man card and don't ruin the engine in the process
Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

You said you have the idle screw out 3 and 2/12 turns? That sounds like a lot and I believe the only reason it wasn't wanting to take off before was it was getting so much fuel it couldn't rev up and attempt to take off. Since you only ran 3 or so tanks through it I would set it back really rich where its blowing a nice stream of smoke out and even a tiny bit of gas and let it idle for another 3-5 tanks, do what you think is enough.

After the idling is done I would reset your lsn, hsn back to your factory setting. Then take your finger and push on the carb so it has pressure on it to close and while you do that start screwing your idle screw to the LEFT until there is no gap in the carb. After that keep the pressure on it and screw it ever so slightly to the RIGHT until you see a tiny sliver of space in there or until its just enough for the engine to remain idling.

TIP: Never ever ever use your throttle adjustment on your remote to adjust the idle. This will just end up causing you problems in the long run with your throttle/brake control.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Beddo
Sounds like you may have screwed the LS needle in too far and shoved the throttle slide out, meaning that the throttle is part open all the time. Wind the LSN out again and see if it helps?
This gets my vote. My Kyosho motor was like this; the LSN is in the carb slide, and if you screw it in too far it starts pushing the slide open, just like you're turning up the idle. If your carb is like this too, then note that "all the way in" doesn't mean screw it in until it won't screw farther; it actually means screw it in until the carb slide starts to move. Remove the air filter and you can see when this happens.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Tech Rookie

the lsn always had a great resistance to it. i thought it was screwed close to being all the way in! but then i tested it and it was 3 turns out. and afta i felt that resistance i didn't screw in anymore. if it was the slide what is that? never heard that term.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:17 AM
Tech Rookie

i have ran bout half a litre through. which is 500mls.. bout 4 tanks. well its closer to 4 in my calculations. but i was doin heat cycle break in. the needles seemed 2 far out so i had 2 check them. i know it should be super rich when breakin but that rich? i neva leaned it out intentionally. i juz thought it was 2 rich coz i cudn't even get temp from it!!!!! even when revs did get higher!!!! i juz screwed em in 2 check but once it reached resistance i stopped. lsn was always harder than hsn. is that norm? i treat this thing like a baby.. i dun wanna mess it up nor hav 2 take it back. i juz thought resettin back 2 factory default wud b smarter than what it came as.. which was rich enough to loosen up an old engine! idle was 3.5 turns out.. doesn't seem norm thats massive.. but im only kinda rookie..
Old 09-10-2010, 03:21 AM
Tech Rookie

and i did read bibles!!! i just thought it came from factory wrong... my lhs said it was a cheaper car... i was like wtf? yeah its bit cheaper, but im juz startin! surely settings wud b correct? i had a cheaper thing from ebay n it was all over the shop. hsn n lsn completely outtas whack
Old 09-10-2010, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I am not sure what 3 and 2/12 is but sounds like alot...
Old 09-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
+1
Old 09-10-2010, 06:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

In addition, something to watch for; the throttle servo was absolute crap on my Losi 8T 2.0 RTR! It went out when I was breaking the engine in. I bought a hi torque for the steering and moved the steering back to the throttle until I could change it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.