Wiki Posts
Search

ceramic bearings vs regular?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default ceramic bearings vs regular?

Well im getting new bearings for my car. Do you thing that i should get ceramic bearings or just stay with the stock ones on my d8. What are so good about ceramic bearings? Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Well

The ceramic engine bearings are great, and so are the drivetrain ones, however, with the need to replace bearings frequently in offroad I use Avid revolutions. they are a buck a piece and you won't have to clean them, just replace them every 6 races or practice days, maybe longer depending on the sizes your buggy uses. Now if you just gotta have the best and don't mind spending the extra cash the ceramics are really smooth, and lighter, thus spooling up faster.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
The ceramic engine bearings are great, and so are the drivetrain ones, however, with the need to replace bearings frequently in offroad I use Avid revolutions. they are a buck a piece and you won't have to clean them, just replace them every 6 races or practice days, maybe longer depending on the sizes your buggy uses. Now if you just gotta have the best and don't mind spending the extra cash the ceramics are really smooth, and lighter, thus spooling up faster.
+1 on that.

Avid supplies great bearings as does TKO.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Default yes

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
+1 on that.

Avid supplies great bearings as does TKO.
I put the ceramic TKO bearings in my p5, wow what a difference. You were right Jimmy, thanks for the advice back when......
Old 06-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by merdith6
I put the ceramic TKO bearings in my p5, wow what a difference. You were right Jimmy, thanks for the advice back when......
Ya im just thinking for the diffs and the clutch.
Edit: im just gonna buy avid bearings. But for my clutch bell im gonna run the ceramics. I can get 6 tkos for like 7.50. Not too bad
Old 06-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Default Sure

Originally Posted by rcdude236
Ya im just thinking for the diffs and the clutch.
Edit: im just gonna buy avid bearings. But for my clutch bell im gonna run the ceramics. I can get 6 tkos for like 7.50. Not too bad
That sounds like a great Idea. Avid revolutions with ceramic clutch bearings.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

my diffs are running the 8x16x5 and my clutch 5x11x4. How often would you replace them?
Old 06-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default well

If you race on dirt and not clay or indoor tracks then every 5-6 racedays for the diff bearings, and every 3-5 racedays on the clutch bearings.

If you race on clay without too much loose dirt or sand then a few races more. When you replace them check the old ones and if they are loose and or gritty then that's about the right time, if they still feel smooth then you could get a little more time on the next set, but replace them anyway, usually I replace them when I do the diffs and do a major car cleaning. Why not if you have the whole car apart put new bearings in it. Keep an eye on the clutch bearings you never know with those. they are so small and take lots of heat and stress. Make sure and shim the bell good with just the smallest ammount of play for the best reliability I like to use those 3mm cap head washers on the screw that holds the clutch bell on. Kyosho makes some in blue, and racers edge too. It looks like a cone and the screw head fits down inside it. Glad to help out..

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Washer-Blue-6
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have a ful set of Boca Orange Seal ceramics... the best money can buy. Yes, they are very smooth, and very reliable. Did i need them? No. I bought them because my friend was switching cars, and had a brand new set in the package that i got cheap.

I wouldnt spend $300 on ceramics, but i do like how well these feel after a weekend of racing compared to the stock steel bearings
Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dlewis4
I have a ful set of Boca Orange Seal ceramics... the best money can buy. Yes, they are very smooth, and very reliable. Did i need them? No. I bought them because my friend was switching cars, and had a brand new set in the package that i got cheap.

I wouldnt spend $300 on ceramics, but i do like how well these feel after a weekend of racing compared to the stock steel bearings
How long do they last
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

It hard to say " How long ? " me = same life as normal bearings.

Maybe longer if you maintain them, ( minus = too much work. )

Ceramics is good for on road cars but not for offroad. The constant banging and jumping of buggies makes C/B too fragile. And it is expensive.

Normal bearing is good and cheap to replace. I change them frequently. Regarding avid/boca...........or many out there............there's no significant difference between them. just rollers. i find the cheapest available.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Have a buddy with a set of them in his losi 2.0... he races twice a week. THey have been in his buggy for 2 years, No problems.

Mine i just got. Have about a month on them, and havent had to touch a single one.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You don't need to change bearings that often on the car, just when they feel gritty! clutch bell I do every gallon or so. Go regular for offroad except when you replacing engine bearings go ceramic
Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE
You don't need to change bearings that often on the car, just when they feel gritty! clutch bell I do every gallon or so. Go regular for offroad except when you replacing engine bearings go ceramic
yep i have a new engine thats getting shipped out tommorrow. i plan on changing to ceramics around 2 gallons. Ive heard you get better performance with them.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude236
yep i have a new engine thats getting shipped out tommorrow. i plan on changing to ceramics around 2 gallons. Ive heard you get better performance with them.
What engine? And yes you get a little more RPM's on ceramics for the engine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.