Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:36 AM
Tech Regular

Default '78 Pontiac Firebird wheels?

This might have been asked an answered before but I couldn't find it....but does anyone know the part number of the wheels HPI have on their '78 Pontiac Firebird? By the looks of it they aren't VTA suitable rims?
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-107201_002m.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Probably this...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM953&P=7

Painted gold.

There are a few different offsets of the mesh wheel, I usually went with the zero offset for RCGT.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
What's this I see? Is that a new VTA? It's only there for a few seconds. See it appear on the track 30 seconds into the video...
So is that why Mike has the "All dogs must be leashed" track rule?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
It's fun to cut the tire apart. You can see how much you really had left before it exploded!
when you see foam the tires are just getting good.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey Ive got a guy that has a Xray T1 and looking to run some US VTA...can anybody help with a baseline setup for this chassis
Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Im pretty new to on road racing and I am putting together a VTA car as a 2nd class. Looks like a ton of fun. Alot of the bodies are very different than each other. Is there one body that stands out as the one to get from a pure performance/handling standpoint? The looks part is basically personal preference, but there has to be some of these bodies that work better than others and there also has to be some to avoid all together. Any advice on what any of you have found to be a good handling body and/or poor handling body?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. I did a quick thread search but didn't really find anything.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
when you see foam the tires are just getting good.
Are well-worn VTA tires the way to go on carpet or smooth, high traction asphalt? Just wondering.... From what I've experienced they weren't that great when brand new on high traction (sealed) asphalt when brand new. I actually trued a set down slightly and they worked better it seemed. However on another track I run (med grip, less than perfect parking lot) the tires seem to work better when they have a decent amount of tread left. Wondering if others find that to be the case also.

Been trying tire tweek, then a thin layer of SXT 3.0 for traction. I've run just tweek, but it seems like a thin layer of 3.0 before the run has more hook than without in the first 2-3 laps..... then it runs the same as the race goes carries on.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz
Im pretty new to on road racing and I am putting together a VTA car as a 2nd class. Looks like a ton of fun. Alot of the bodies are very different than each other. Is there one body that stands out as the one to get from a pure performance/handling standpoint? The looks part is basically personal preference, but there has to be some of these bodies that work better than others and there also has to be some to avoid all together. Any advice on what any of you have found to be a good handling body and/or poor handling body?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. I did a quick thread search but didn't really find anything.
This has been debated plenty in the old thread. It comes down mostly to personal preference. The most popular bodies seem to be the HPI 68 Camaro followed by the Protoform J71. I have both of these. The Camaro seems more durable and can be made to sit very low on the chassis for less drag. The Protoform handles extremely well and is very light. If it takes a hit on one of the front corners though, it can buckle easily.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz

At my track it's pretty much all HPI camaros.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

all are very good...Ive ran most and the HPI 65 Mustang is my favorite...it handles just as good as any other...the Cuda/Challenger/Camaros are very similar handling
Old 05-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

Hey Robk ygpm
Old 05-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Are well-worn VTA tires the way to go on carpet or smooth, high traction asphalt? Just wondering.... From what I've experienced they weren't that great when brand new on high traction (sealed) asphalt when brand new. I actually trued a set down slightly and they worked better it seemed. However on another track I run (med grip, less than perfect parking lot) the tires seem to work better when they have a decent amount of tread left. Wondering if others find that to be the case also.

Been trying tire tweek, then a thin layer of SXT 3.0 for traction. I've run just tweek, but it seems like a thin layer of 3.0 before the run has more hook than without in the first 2-3 laps..... then it runs the same as the race goes carries on.
I have found that 3/4 down to almost bald work best on all surfaces but there needs to be some tread left. FYI cutting and truing the tires is against the rules. Give new tires a quick five minute hard run on asphalt or concrete to break them in.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
all are very good...Ive ran most and the HPI 65 Mustang is my favorite...it handles just as good as any other...the Cuda/Challenger/Camaros are very similar handling
Take a look at this online poll to see what people have voted to be their favorite VTA body. Personally I love the HPI 1968 Chevy Camaro (part no. 7494) simply because it is made with thicker plastic than any of the other VTA bodies. Plus it is a one-piece mold which means that you don't have to attach on a front or rear bumper which usually comes as a separate piece. The '68 Camaro is all one piece except for the trunk spoiler.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

you are right...its very popular...and thats why I perfer running different bodies...its US VTA...not IROC...lol
Old 05-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Ill be running the J71 from Protoform/Proline for the next 6 months at least...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.