Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 09:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

RacerTex- I replaced all of my wheel bearings recently. I had the same problem. I don't know what caused it but after replacing them it hasn't happend again.

Tony- Good luck in Vegas. I can't go but some of my fellow racer's from Speedworld will be there.
Old 09-18-2001, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

ROBK.....you said something about"the center shaft will work well in stock" is there a center shaft one way and if so, who makes it???thanks......I'm a better "diff"driver than one-way.Is the center a good compromise between the two???if there is a center 1-way????
Old 09-19-2001, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A couple companies make the center drive one-way. I think one of them might be GPM. My experiences with it were that it gave a hint of the one-way diff. It wasn't as aggressive, and it certainly didn't add the steering that the diff gives. IMO, it did actually smooth the car out a bit. Personally, though, I like alot of steering, and this just didn't give me enough.

We did try it with both the diff and the shaft, but we didn't feel that much of a difference. But that's just me. It might work differently for others.
Old 09-19-2001, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

Default hey tony....

i just received some wheels and tires from speedtech. i got the 138g and 139g2 combos. there seems to be an excessive amount of air gap between the tires and the inserts. have you noticed the same with yok tires and inserts you have gotten b4? assuming you have had them b4. will this hinder performance? i've only had hpi tires w/ yok inserts and didn't notice much of a gap w/ those.
Old 09-19-2001, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Supposedly, in Japan, that is the hot ticket. When I ran the G's they did have a noticeable air gap. I felt like this provided a little more forward traction (sort of like the wrinkle-wall effect in drag racing). Only problem I felt was making sure you had the same amount of gap in ALL the tires...i.e., too much air gap in the left rear than the right might give more traction on the left side, causing handling problems.

If you get a chance, try the Sorex tires. They don't have any gap and last ALOT longer.... Sort of sux to say AFTER you bought the G's....heh heh, sorry!
Old 09-19-2001, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

yeah, the wrinkle wall is the first plus i thought about, but then at the same time the wrinkle walls are only good for straight-line traction. guess i'll assemble them all first and check the gaps b4 gluing them. i remember you mentioning the sorex tires. i think someone else said that the traction performance falls off far b4 the tire wears out though. dunno. speedtech didn't have a sorex combo and i'm on a pretty tight budget right now. i plan to try them next set. what ones are equiv. to the 138 and which the 139? should i still use yok inserts?
thanks.
Old 09-19-2001, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

The 36R's are the Sorex tires you want.

As for the air gap, there is one thing you can do the take away a little of the gap. Getcher hands on some relatively thin width strapping tape. On the wheel, wrap the tape around a couple times and test fit the tire and insert. You can cut down on the size of the gap. Just remember how much you wrapped so you can do this evenly to all 4 wheels.
Old 09-19-2001, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tphalen - what insert are you using with your 36-R's?

I'm currently using a set with HPi blues and there is a definite air gap. However, they still seem to hook up great with nearly 50+ runs on them in Mod. Should I fill the air gap with strapping tape the next time I glue up a set?
Old 09-19-2001, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

You can try it!!! The tire is less likely to squirm going in and coming out of the corners....

We usually run HPI Green inserts or Pit Shimitzu inserts. Pits seem to work a little better, but harder to getcher hands on...
Old 09-19-2001, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

people are also using the Yok Med and Firm inserts with the Yok tires.

Regarding the air gap, wouldnt this be eliminated if you put a hole in the rim? I alway drill 2 holes in my rim before i put the tire on. There is an article on the proline website.

This bvirus really sucks!!!! No internet at work and my computer is hosed
Old 09-19-2001, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

There are 2 reasons for the air gap....one is air in the tire and the other is the insert being a little too small for the tire. The air-in-the-tire gap can be eliminated by the drilling of holes in the wheel, as Matt has said. The small-insert gap is best filled by lining the wheel with tape.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

should i line the wheel with tape untill there is no gap? even if it takes stretching the insert to match the tire and eliminate the gap? or should i just leave it alone?
Old 09-20-2001, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

You could put tape between the insert and the tire, but you might take away some of the traction. The best place is taping up the wheel and stretching the tire and insert over it....
Old 09-20-2001, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

so i should tape the wheel until the gap is completely gone?
Old 09-20-2001, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Yes. It shouldn't require more than 2 or 3 turns around...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.