Old 03-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok how about batteries???
rechargeable ???
Old 03-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Definitely rechargeable. There are many brands, MAH ratings, and costs. Unless you are using the vehicle for all out competition I would start out with any NIMH rechargeable batteries in the 900-1000 MAH range. Anything higher gives long run times without much power. The lower the rating the more punch is available at the cost of run time. More important than the specific battery is the battery charger. You will want a 4 port charger with a 1000MAH max charge rate. There are several different models available on the bay from $30 -$100 or more. The units from Accu-Power are very good for the money. my recommendation would be to get two and four sets of batteries. With NIMH batteries you will get two good charges in a 24 hour period from each set. The first charge is good and the second one better but then it goes down hill. No reason that I ever have been able to figure out for it but it happens all the same. In preparation for the next use you install the batteries in the charger and set it to discharge. When the batteries have dropped to .9V each the charger will switch over and begin to charge them. Just prior to use put the batteries back in the charger and hit them at the max 1000MAH until done. We call this bumping and it adds additional oomph to the performance. Have also found that having a fan blow air across the batteries while charging helps with a proper "peak" charge. Most of the better chargers have a temperature cut off that will stop the process at 128* whether the battery is actually full or not. This is battery and charging 101.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for your help.
Is there any brand that seems to work better??
Old 03-20-2017, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

How they perform long term depends mostly on care and feeding. For the first couple of years I used 1000MAH Duracells. You can find bulk buys on Eneloops through Amazon. Peaks through Tiny RC along with R-1 Wurks and some others as well. RC Kenon Has there own branded units that are OK and they carry TRP batteries as well which are my choice for racing. As I mentioned before, don't go crazy on batteries until you get your feet wet with care and feeding.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:49 AM
Tech Adept

I use R1 Wurks 990mAh AAA for my cars.
Charge them at something between 1.7 - 2.5A.
I only use 2 sets, since I don't often get to run my cars anymore.
You should break in the batteries as well if you race with them.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanks guys I ordered off amazon
EBL
16 of them plus charger
they get decent ratings so we will see how they work.
The wife and I killed a set of batteries last night laughing and running them around with our 1 cat chasing them around.
Has anyone had issues with the stock radio and centering for the throttle.
Also is the up grade transmitter worth it??
Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

The radio is the single best tuning tool in the box. What you plan to do with the car is the determining factor. If chasing or being chased by the cat is the goal then I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. If there is competition in your future then it's a different story. Let your conscience be your guide.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60
The radio is the single best tuning tool in the box. What you plan to do with the car is the determining factor. If chasing or being chased by the cat is the goal then I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. If there is competition in your future then it's a different story. Let your conscience be your guide.
What are some good radio options? I bought a Sport and the radio sucks.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Currently there are two. One from Kyosho, the 432P and one from Flysky the It-4. ironically they are the same platform and do exactly the same things very well. I don't know for sure but I believe that Flysky manufactures the radio branded by Kyosho. The Kyosho model is quite a bit more expensive(about $100) but does convert for left handed use while the Flysky does not. Both are lipo equipped. Both are quite easy to use. Both can be purchased with additional receivers for use on other scales. Personally I like the Kyosho better just for the sake of US based warranty if needed.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mleemor60
OR, just for sh1ts and giggles, open the transmitter and see if it might be possible to use a better rubber band or spring to give the steering a more firm return to center. (SNIP)
I did so and weakened the spring. Be carefull, to reach it you need to desolder the steering pot. Not hard, but not something that everybody likes to do.

BTW, I changed to an ASF car after not getting the Sports to behave. I am not the first nor the last person to do so.... For racing I think ASF is a must, looking for instance at my club championship rankings and what they use.

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

its interesting that these little cars cost what they do and there is no trim for the throttle.
Over all I am impressed.
time will tell how they hold up
Old 03-25-2017, 11:40 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah I think it was not a good decision to star making Sport or Sport 2.
I get that it's a bit cheaper, but many of those who start out with this, get a lot of small problems and then just put in on the shelf.

And for those who actually like racing and have an opportunity to go to a track, the ASF / MHS is a much better choice. Due to faster response on steering and more FETs that can handle faster motors. Not that you need faster motors always, but if you want to try something faster you might blow your FET's on a Sport / Sport2.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Race Report From Yesterday

For any locals to L.A. who maybe interested Race Report HERE (post 1462 on down) from yesterday's 1st tri-annual series at PN Racing Facility.

looking forward to seeing more local mini-z enthusiasts joining the program. Practice 1st Sunday of each month and racing every fourth Month.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

Default Grand Re-Opening Race April 8th, 2017

Hello Mini-Z racers,

We have found a new location and we are ready for some great racing. Please come on down and join us for this celebration. Doors to open at 12pm and racing to start at 5pm sharp. We are also doing a birthday party promotion this day, $145 off a birthday party package. We are also doing FREE rentals from 12pm to 6pm for anyone wanting to try a Mini-Z. We have a rental dedicated track for this.

We also have a new attraction, FPV Mini-Z driving experience. There will be a few cars set-up with googles and a few set up with a steering wheel, monitor and pedals. FREE to test drive this day also.

Please pass this along to anyone who you may feel would be interested.

For more experienced drivers, anyone is welcome to drive my modified car.

We promote a fun and family friendly experience. Come on down and play for FREE. Then stay and watch some great racing action.

Hope to see you at the track,
Binh

Inside Line Racing
95 Phelan Avenue #4
San Jose, CA 95112
408-297-4050
mugler likes this.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Congratulation Binh, new place very far from the old one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.