Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

3racing F109

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

those of you that are running 104 wheels what are you doing about the extreme offset difference between the front and rear? its .75"!! i made some .125 hex spacers but thats all you can get because of the short threads on the left side.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boultspeed
my first run with my f1-09 is on Sunday at the British Indoor Winter Series

running rubber tyres as the flooring is a rubberised running track surface and foams dont work well there

any set up advice on running rubber would be very welcome

hope the snow doesnt cause it to be cancelled

Paul
What rubber tires did you end up using on the rubberized track?
I am looking at Ride tires but don't know which ones to use.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
those of you that are running 104 wheels what are you doing about the extreme offset difference between the front and rear? its .75"!! i made some .125 hex spacers but thats all you can get because of the short threads on the left side.
Some of the guys have said the Ride 104 rims for rubber have some more offset, so it's not so bad. I don't know what you would do with foam.

If you are making things, make a hex that threads onto the axle, and then thread a grub screw into the hex to lock it. The hex would have to be threaded all the way through. The grub screw will lock the hex on and serve as the axle to mount the wheel. You would only be able to do this with a 104 style diff though.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
Some of the guys have said the Ride 104 rims for rubber have some more offset, so it's not so bad. I don't know what you would do with foam.

If you are making things, make a hex that threads onto the axle, and then thread a grub screw into the hex to lock it. The hex would have to be threaded all the way through. The grub screw will lock the hex on and serve as the axle to mount the wheel. You would only be able to do this with a 104 style diff though.
there is not enough space for all of that !! right now the rear is 3/4" more narrow than the front???? are you guys running them this way? i see that Inzanes car has the same wheels but i cant tell by the pix if the width is the same or even closer.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Regular

I use the 3Racing Out Tuned Diff ( absolutely the best F1-diff IMHO). With a F103/F1-09 diff axle you can cut it as long as you like and then use spacers to increase the rear width.

That said I'm running the front about 15mm wider than the rear. This makes the car feel more stable and it gives a little less front end bite - I've found this ideal for most outdoor tracks.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
there is not enough space for all of that !! right now the rear is 3/4" more narrow than the front???? are you guys running them this way? i see that Inzanes car has the same wheels but i cant tell by the pix if the width is the same or even closer.
Inzane's idea is better.

There is enough space for that, but I may not be describing it clearly.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InZane
I use the 3Racing Out Tuned Diff ( absolutely the best F1-diff IMHO). With a F103/F1-09 diff axle you can cut it as long as you like and then use spacers to increase the rear width.

That said I'm running the front about 15mm wider than the rear. This makes the car feel more stable and it gives a little less front end bite - I've found this ideal for most outdoor tracks.

Hmmm if your running 15mm wider in front than my 3mm hex spacers are perfect! if i use my spacers it leaves the front 12.7mm wider. it just seems/looks like alot. who has the 3r diff in stock?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AGNO
I used the 3Racing servo tray for F104 (# F104-03/LB)

You must build two columns and use longer screws

I appreciate the info and definitely the pics and I purchased one form RC Mart already.

Thanks again, Mike
Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Initiate

If anyone needs Ride tires or rims for the F103, F104, and F1-09 I found a place in California that sells them.

tqrcracing.com/shop/product_list.asp?s_maker_id=46

Ordered a couple sets of Ride rims and one set of Ride soft compound front and rear tires from them last week and the package was delivered today. The rears are really soft and have only a thin foam insert in them. I can't wait till Thursday afternoon so I can go out to the Plant City indoor track to try them out. Now if I could only find a place in the U.S. that sells the Shimizu F-1 slick tires. The Ride grooved tires just don't look right on my old F-1 bodied Tamiya.

On another note if anyone is looking for cheap play tires for parking lot use on an F103 or F1-09 the tires from the Duratrax Delphi F-1 car will fit the Ride rims. Still waiting for my order of stock Tamiya rims for rubber tires to come in to see if the Duratrax tires will fit the Tamiya F103 rims or not. Tower Hobbies is where I got the Delphi tires from. I think it was about $15 for the full set of 4 tires. They are about 5mm larger then the stock tires.

Ruppster
Old 09-14-2010, 03:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I jsut got mine, fitted to the car. How in the world are you supposed to tighten and loosen it though? I follow the instructions and put a piece of steel in the hole on the "nut" (my .5mm driver doesnt fint into the hole) and then i turn the rear wheel, and its frikkin hard to make it tight and loose. I think the carbon shaft has too much flex in it to work as its supposed to. It's easier just to take the wheel off and tighten as you would a normal f104 diff.

Also... the instructions dont say to put in the disc springs like on all the other diffs.... is the one o-ring on the "nut" all the spring you need for it? Or are people throwing in some disk springs as well?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LordAnubis

Also... the instructions dont say to put in the disc springs like on all the other diffs.... is the one o-ring on the "nut" all the spring you need for it? Or are people throwing in some disk springs as well?
I've replaced the ballbearing with a thrust bearing and two disc springs.
Check that you don't put the hex driver too deep into the hole - this can obstruct the movement of the ring.

more info>>
Old 09-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah cheers, i got the instructions with it... and yes i noted the inserting too deep thing while i was inspecting the mechanism before installing it. It's just not exactly easy to do thats all... i'll probably end up jsut removing the wheel and tightening diff the f104 way. Either way, the diff assembly was about a third of the price of the f104 diff so can't really go wrong i think.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default What steering servo are you using?

My F109 is on its way and I need to sort out a good steering servo for it.

I don't want some crazy expensive servo, just something that will work well and not break the bank. Maybe $30 to $50. These cars are so light that high torque servos aren't needed.

What are you guys using?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FrankB
My F109 is on its way and I need to sort out a good steering servo for it.

I don't want some crazy expensive servo, just something that will work well and not break the bank. Maybe $30 to $50. These cars are so light that high torque servos aren't needed.

What are you guys using?

BlueBird BMS-761DD , $18
Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

Hey InZane, what is the height of that battery you have in your car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.