Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why "blip" the throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scoobie1
I think blipping/rolling the throttle are two technique's that both have their place. They both have pro's and con's. But to say one way is right, and the other is wrong...thats pretty narrow minded.

Blipping on a dry blown out track is not the fastest way around the track, just like rolling on the gas on a track with high traction is'nt the fastest...try both styles and see for yourself what suits you better.

How can you say that rolling on the the throttle on a high traction surface isnt the fastest way? Not an argument, just a question. For me, high traction just means I can roll on the power alot more while still being efficient.

I do agree with trying both styles to see which suits you. Thats exactly what I did. But let me say again, being smoother on the throttle helped me with having more fun and being a better competitor at my local track.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NCWC
How can you say that rolling on the the throttle on a high traction surface isnt the fastest way? Not an argument, just a question. For me, high traction just means I can roll on the power alot more while still being efficient.

I do agree with trying both styles to see which suits you. Thats exactly what I did. But let me say again, being smoother on the throttle helped me with having more fun and being a better competitor at my local track.
i would say, if you are hooking up on a high traction surface bliping/instant full throttle is the fastest because it takes full advantage of the huge amount of traction that you have. best way to try this out would be a good old fasion drag race. get yourself and a buddy, two equal cars/buggies/truggies/whatever you have two of and race down a straight. one can roll on the throttle, and one can pin it the whole way. which is faster? on a high traction track, the one who pins it will win. there is nothing wrong with a little wheel spin
Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by heeltoedrver
i am not entirely sure how to put my description of bliping into words, but i will try. i think that there is a distinct difference between blipping and being on the throttle as long as possible. that is, if you are entering a tight series of corners that look like this, _/\_ you "blip" the throttle only because anything longer than a blip and youll be into the pipes and anything less than a blip and you will not be fast enough to keep up with other drivers. when entering a sweeper which empties into a long straight you are much faster to get on the throttle early in the sweeper and hit full throttle in the last quarter of the turn, that is, ease on the throttle and be smooth to keep you tight and keep traction. bliping will always have a place in racing so long as tight technical corners and jumps are built, but i think it is important to recognize bursts of throttle in a small space and blipping are different. just my .02

Thats a good point of view. When I think of "blipping", I see short stabs at the throttle in quick sucsession, and hear engines going "rap" "rap" "rap". Not a light touch of the throttle or two around corners, much like what Hara was doing in the video.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

But this is nothing at all like drag racing.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I blip because I have a $700 in my car and like to hear it....
Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Adept

But this is nothing at all like drag racing.
well, yes it is, sorta. you want to put down max power while keeping traction. the idea is to move forward as fast as possible right? take out all the driver elements (cornering angles, early, mid, late apex, ect.) and get down to the basics. what moves the car forward faster? rolling the throttle, or mashing it? run two equal buggies side by side from a stand still and get a real world comparison. you made a comment about rolling on the throttle when running a high traction track, this comparison will show you that pinning it will take full advantage of the available traction while rolling will only use some of the available traction. now, take pinning it down a straight on a high traction surface and apply it to blipping the throttle when in tight technical track features with high traction - taking full advantage of available traction will mean giving it 100% throttle for short amounts of time (as long as the corner length will allow)

Last edited by heeltoedrver; 01-26-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: clarification.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

I understand your reasoning. A track is a series of drag races seperated by corners.
Yes, but no.
There are bumps and jumps thrown into the mix. It doesnt matter how much traction you have avalible, if your car is exiting a corner and there are 6 jumps (3 doubles) after it, and you peg it to go as fast as it can into the jumps, 9 times out of 10 the guy who was behind you, who rolled on the throttle and double, double, doubled through the section is going to pass your car while the marshall is flipping it on its wheels. This racing is about patience, skill, and being there when it counts. Not who has the fastest average top speed.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I think you two should settle this with a race, or Two!

Just to make it fair we will have 1 drag race, and 1 race around the track..

to make it more fair, we will have 1 race with wet high traction, and 1 with dusty dry loomy conditions!

I think you are both right, and we all need to drive the way thats the most fun, and best suits our style...I am a point and shoot driver..WOT or brake, no in between, and that my friends is why I suck at racing
Old 01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

i think alot of people doit just becouse they are new and cant use the power. some people are super annoying with it. i dont think what hara and them boys at the airtronics race are bliping like this post was made about? but maybe im wrong??
but i feel like i get just a touch harder hit out of the corner with a few blips. kinda like someone else said with riding a 125. keeping it on the pipe a little better.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

I understand your reasoning. A track is a series of drag races seperated by corners.
Yes, but no.
There are bumps and jumps thrown into the mix. It doesnt matter how much traction you have avalible, if your car is exiting a corner and there are 6 jumps (3 doubles) after it, and you peg it to go as fast as it can into the jumps, 9 times out of 10 the guy who was behind you, who rolled on the throttle and double, double, doubled through the section is going to pass your car while the marshall is flipping it on its wheels. This racing is about patience, skill, and being there when it counts. Not who has the fastest average top speed.
i agree, but if i am flipping by doing two successive tripples its because i cant build enough speed to clear them consistantly in which case i would double double double giving short bursts of throttle inbetween each set (blipping the throttle). this is why i like racing, there are 1000 ways to get around a track, i understand your point of view - there was a time when i was a carpet racer so i know all about smooth power application. i just think that i would rather give slightly too much power causing wheel spin than not give enough to get the wheels spinning and risk not using all available traction. your example highlights something i, and alot of other people were not taking into account, and that is driving lines. generally speaking being on the ground is faster than being in the air, more time on the ground equals more throttle application. your right, but i think i am too

Last edited by heeltoedrver; 01-26-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Before anymore theorys get thrown around how bout we decide what blipping is? I would consider what was displayed in the above Hara vid more throttle whacking & death revs than what I consider blipping.What I heard & saw him do at the worlds race is what I concider blipping.Just barly getting the car to jerk/react is what I think of as blipping.Breaking all 4 tires loose for like 2 seconds I consider a lot more than blipping. If whacking the throttle is what we're talking about here I change my mind ,I aint a blipper.

OK I just went back & watched the above Hara vid again & he seemed to go back & forth from light taps(blips) to heavy stabs.Split about 50-50. I can only wonder if thats a old vid made while he was getting used to the D8 cuz those heavy stabs aint how he drove at the worlds. Maybe I am a blipper,OH crap what am I gonna do at the races saturday.

Last edited by butch man; 01-26-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Adept

heeltoedriver: I agree to disagree
Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Adept

I like to think of it like this........... no lie! And this is a good question to ask yourself.

If you were an 1/8 scale human driving a buggy/truggy, how would you drive it?

I would lay down as much constant power as I could given the circumstances.
On a low traction track I would be light with the throttle, laying down as much power as the tires can handle without losing foward or steering grip. You cant use your total amount of traction for both steering and accelerating, one or the other has to give some up. When given a higher traction surface, I certainly would be more aggresive with the throttle, but again only as much as the tires warrant.

You have to understand one can control the rate at which they "roll on" the throttle. A lower rate for bad traction, and a higher rate when traction is better. If you go around a sweeper stabbing the throttle, the car is going to be unpredictable because its weight is transfering back and forth and/or the tires are shocking loose, losing steering when your on throttle, but killing foward momentim when you are off. But if you are rolling on the throttle, at whatever rate is suitable for the traction avalible, then you are splitting the traction avalible between steering and acceleration. If you lose traction in either area, you back off the throttle or steering until the comprimise is met again.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

I like to think of it like this........... no lie! And this is a good question to ask yourself.

If you were an 1/8 scale human driving a buggy/truggy, how would you drive it?

I would lay down as much constant power as I could given the circumstances.
On a low traction track I would be light with the throttle, laying down as much power as the tires can handle without losing foward or steering grip. You cant use your total amount of traction for both steering and accelerating, one or the other has to give some up. When given a higher traction surface, I certainly would be more aggresive with the throttle, but again only as much as the tires warrant.

You have to understand one can control the rate at which they "roll on" the throttle. A lower rate for bad traction, and a higher rate when traction is better. If you go around a sweeper stabbing the throttle, the car is going to be unpredictable because its weight is transfering back and forth and/or the tires are shocking loose, losing steering when your on throttle, but killing foward momentim when you are off. But if you are rolling on the throttle, at whatever rate is suitable for the traction avalible, then you are splitting the traction avalible between steering and acceleration. If you lose traction in either area, you back off the throttle or steering until the comprimise is met again.
i understand what you are saying, and at this point think it comes down to where do you draw the line between rolling on the throttle quickly and stabbing at it. it comes down to traction, if i have the traction to give it 100% right away, i am going to and everyone else is too. if i need to roll on the throttle because i need a specific rhythm through whoops or a set of jumps then thats what i do. i never suggested that i would stab through a sweeper, i said just the opposite.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

I didnt mean YOU specifically. I shoud have said, when A PERSON or when ONE stabs the throttle around a sweeper. sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.