Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree138Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck
I use the I don't remember what I'm running setup.
Dude that is totally the same set up I run, funny it is not the greatest but changes are made constantly well I think they are changes because I really don't know what weight shock oil I had before
Old 01-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Having my mind set on a B5M FL for the upcoming season (starting here around april ) I was bored so I read tests about the XRAY and Yokomo 2wd's. Damn now I am thinking especially the Yokomo might be a good choice.
What would speak for the B5M instead of trying a new brand ?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by man1ac
Having my mind set on a B5M FL for the upcoming season (starting here around april ) I was bored so I read tests about the XRAY and Yokomo 2wd's. Damn now I am thinking especially the Yokomo might be a good choice.
What would speak for the B5M instead of trying a new brand ?
I had a bmax4 and I didnt care for it. The plastics are soft and the ballstud/cups were soft also. I replaced the studs and cups with TLR and that was better, but the car's plastics were soft and clapped out fast. I will stick with AE over Yokomo
Old 01-11-2016, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The top brands are all good cars and completely podium capable (XRAY, YOKOMO, ASSOCIATED, LOSI, KYOSHO, SERPENT ETC.).

XRAY parts will be much higher priced than AE. If you race, local hobby shops are much more likely to have more AE parts on the shelf than any other manufacturer. Setup support is probably far greater for the AE platform. But you got to get what makes you happy.

I'm currently running a LOSI 22 3.0... but not sure it will replace my Serpent SRX2. I have a B5M FL NIB to put together to try in 17.5, but again not sure it will replace the Serpent. I have the XB2 Dirt Edition on pre-order... I enjoy the build part of the hobby as much as anything and just going to try them all LOL
Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by slakr
The top brands are all good cars and completely podium capable (XRAY, YOKOMO, ASSOCIATED, LOSI, KYOSHO, SERPENT ETC.).

XRAY parts will be much higher priced than AE. If you race, local hobby shops are much more likely to have more AE parts on the shelf than any other manufacturer. Setup support is probably far greater for the AE platform. But you got to get what makes you happy.

I'm currently running a LOSI 22 3.0... but not sure it will replace my Serpent SRX2. I have a B5M FL NIB to put together to try in 17.5, but again not sure it will replace the Serpent. I have the XB2 Dirt Edition on pre-order... I enjoy the build part of the hobby as much as anything and just going to try them all LOL
trying them all is definitely fun. I try to do that less and less these days. So far, I have liked the B5m better than any other car I owned.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I had the B5M (both rear and mid) when they first came out. I much prefer my Serpents (currently have two MM and one RM). Had a couple of BMAX-2's, still have a BMAX-4 (shelf queen now, replaced by the Serpent SRX4). Have the YZ4 (about half assembled). Had numerous others (original 22, B4.2, TeamC Etc.). So far I keep going back to the Serpents, but the 22 3.0 is very good; but my last race I had a ball cup pop off in the first minute of the main (and that has NEVER happened with my Serpents).
Old 01-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by slakr
I had the B5M (both rear and mid) when they first came out. I much prefer my Serpents (currently have two MM and one RM). Had a couple of BMAX-2's, still have a BMAX-4 (shelf queen now, replaced by the Serpent SRX4). Have the YZ4 (about half assembled). Had numerous others (original 22, B4.2, TeamC Etc.). So far I keep going back to the Serpents, but the 22 3.0 is very good; but my last race I had a ball cup pop off in the first minute of the main (and that has NEVER happened with my Serpents).
I was going to try the serpent, but honeslty they looked terrible at cactus last year. Since that is my home track, I took a pass. The B5m is a very good car. I really dont see any reason to switch.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Since my B5MFL is just out of the box, I can say the build and quality have been the best of any 1/10 I've had in 30 years. That being subjective of course, but having bought and now assembled a FL, it is worth the investment.

Out of the box the only issue has been a leaking shock oil bottle (Not shocking to discover this since they all seem to leak, by law.) and the binding CVA cups which was almost a joke at how easy it was to resolve the friction point with a drill. The shell did not have any oil on it.

Get your FL and race 17.5 stock and Primes. Buy some green slime for the shocks.

It's a steal for $230 or less at Tower using code/$20 factory rebate/free shipping.....No brainer.

Last edited by DeadstickDuck; 01-11-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I will post my pics of the FL as it looks assembled per instructions. Get her running on the cheap and get some stick time on the best 2wd practice machine for the buck.

$68 Trackstar 17.5T and 80A ESC combo
$34 Trackstar TS-920 Brushless HV Ti-MG
$34 A-spec Nanotech 2s4600 65/130C
$6 HK 3ch Rx
Old 01-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Front End Slop

Picked up a used roller - from a track employee, with nice upgrades, schelle hubs, ceramic bearings, etc...

The front shock mounts have a few millimeters of vertical gap/play and the front end is pretty sloppy in general. guessing the answer is aftermarket - schelle or avid here.

play coming from the steering bellcrank through to the steering blocks. typical? A lot more than my centro c4.2 has.

other than that, i have the car setup pretty dialed. right away, noticed the car lands so well and feels "smoother" than the centro, laps are a bit more consistent as well. - getting back to the track lately - i realize the centro is "old news"

thanks.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hsp-sandiego
Picked up a used roller - from a track employee, with nice upgrades, schelle hubs, ceramic bearings, etc...

The front shock mounts have a few millimeters of vertical gap/play and the front end is pretty sloppy in general. guessing the answer is aftermarket - schelle or avid here.

play coming from the steering bellcrank through to the steering blocks. typical? A lot more than my centro c4.2 has.

other than that, i have the car setup pretty dialed. right away, noticed the car lands so well and feels "smoother" than the centro, laps are a bit more consistent as well. - getting back to the track lately - i realize the centro is "old news"

thanks.
As far as the shocks, the play seems to generate in the composite cap itself. In regards to the steering, take the front off and check the screws that hold the steering bellcranks on. make sure they're tight but not binding. Give all screws a once over.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
As far as the shocks, the play seems to generate in the composite cap itself. In regards to the steering, take the front off and check the screws that hold the steering bellcranks on. make sure they're tight but not binding. Give all screws a once over.
yeah, thats a good idea - to go through all screws in the steering. i don't think i have ever had composite caps - may have to spring for the aluminum ones.
guy pitted next to me on Saturday was running kyosho shocks on his b5 - everything was tight - they looked good too.

thanks.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:23 PM
Tech Prophet

With the gear diff for this buggy would I need to get a gearbox for the diff or a different motor plate ? I have the updated v2 gear boxes .
Old 01-11-2016, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
With the gear diff for this buggy would I need to get a gearbox for the diff or a different motor plate ? I have the updated v2 gear boxes .
Just the gear diff. Build it and slap it in.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Been running the associated for a year or so on indoor carpet track.
Was doing well, til the new breed of high bite cars started showing up.

Held my own for a week or so,but just can't get that sort of corner speed/rotation without traction rolling..

Figured I'd try a laydown tranny.. works very well, but 3d printed stuff just not as strong as molded oem plastic.. plus tolerances are off, creating a less than good spinning tranny.

Our local track, hard to find a b5m in mod or stock buggy , mostly yokomo, new xray or schumacher. . A few b5m with laydown ..
For high grip ya can't go wrong with the yokomo!! (Sorry associated, I defected).

Ya listening associated? I'd really love to go back to b5m and support American company!! But no interest in supporting the carpet crowd???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.