Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree138Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Finally ran my car for the first time yesterday. Our track is pretty big and medium grip.

I started with Kody's OCRC setup, but didn't have 35 wt oil so I started with 32.5 fr. I ran the SMC Square pack. Car weighed 1665 grams.

Started out on Clay Typos all the way around. Car was really good but had too much steering. WAY too much. I switched to Handlebar fronts and went to 1mm front ball stud washers and it was much easier to drive. I'll leave it here now and play with tires and cleaning up my line.

To put it into a numbers perspective:
Old fast lap - 23.4
New fast lap - 22.9
Old Fast time 15 6:18
New Fast time 15 6:06 (had 2 bad laps on the start. Probably would have been close to that 16 lap mark)

TQ yesterday was 16 6:18, so I was about 9 to 10 sec off. Pretty happy with the first day
Old 03-24-2014, 05:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
To put it into a numbers perspective:
Old fast lap - 23.4
New fast lap - 22.9
Old Fast time 15 6:18
New Fast time 15 6:06 (had 2 bad laps on the start. Probably would have been close to that 16 lap mark)

TQ yesterday was 16 6:18, so I was about 9 to 10 sec off. Pretty happy with the first day

Arguing about flippin turnbuckles on rctech..... PRICELESS

Fixed That For You!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for your help guys the manual is a little vague at times but get there in the end.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beyondthepack
"That's strange that so many of you have had issues with your Reedy packs - I've had my shorty for 2 years & picked up a lightly used saddle pack for my B5 and have always found Reedy packs to be strong packs, albeit, at the top of the battery pricing scale - so far for me, they've been well worth it."

Same here, I've spent the extra coin on the Reedys cause the cheaper ones crap out on me. Had Reedys for 4 years in all my cars. No issues what so ever.

the reedy packs are quality packs...they are durable, are not prone to puffing....however, the ir on the packs is a bit high.....i race multiple classes, dirt oval, and offroad, and i could not get my oval cars fast...so i started digging, and the ir on my reedy pack was 3 times that of some of the other packs.....

now, for mod buggy this isnt a problem...it very well may be better to not have the punch....
Old 03-24-2014, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

So..I'm debating on getting rid of my B5M, I ran it quite a bit about a week ago at ocrc and it was nowhere near as good as my rear motor B5. I tried multiple setups / changes and it just felt like I had to baby it around the track compared to my B5. I have some stuff to try out this weekend so I may just give it another shot and see. I was excited at first after reading how everyone liked theirs but dissapointed after running it.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
who said the car was bad? Ir was simply an observation of the build. I have not driven it yet, so I have not commented on it track ability.
Wildcat1971,that was not directed toward you what-so ever. Just a general statement that most guys who rush thru a build are the guys that are always
questioning why "their cars" dont perform like they "expected" out the box.
As you know by expierience most will take that time to hand fit, polish hinge pins and build the shocks until everything matches side to side. Those who do have a car that usually performs up to their expectations! or at least something they car work with!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Just finished my build last night! Its a was a really nice kit to build. No missing parts either The centro chassis protector fit really well with only minimal trimming.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
If you use carbide should replace them .
They flat spot if the diff slipped.

Replace with ceramic balls, they will never flat spot and can be used over & over saving you money ...
I thought with ceramic, if it barked once the diff was completely done.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrman41
Putting MIP puck system in my B5rm, Looking to upgrade my diff balls. Ceramic or Tungstan Carbide? I heard Ceramic won't flat spot if you spin diffs and you can reuse them........Looking for opinions
What MIP system are you putting in?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oldgearhead
Wildcat1971,that was not directed toward you what-so ever. Just a general statement that most guys who rush thru a build are the guys that are always
questioning why "their cars" dont perform like they "expected" out the box.
As you know by expierience most will take that time to hand fit, polish hinge pins and build the shocks until everything matches side to side. Those who do have a car that usually performs up to their expectations! or at least something they car work with!
yeah, I plan to go back and "fix" a few things. My 9 year old was helping me build it and I didnt want to have her sit there for hours while I fit the pieces. I was happy she sat there for 3+ hours working on it. I can free up the front arms easy. One thing I am unsure of is the wing mounts. I am using the stock wing, and I had a hell of a time getting the body pins in. And they are really thin pins. I tried to open the holes a little, but still a no go. I am thinking maybe remove the spacer and use a couple washers. Or maybe center drill them mounts and screw the wing on.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt M.
the reedy packs are quality packs...they are durable, are not prone to puffing....however, the ir on the packs is a bit high.....i race multiple classes, dirt oval, and offroad, and i could not get my oval cars fast...so i started digging, and the ir on my reedy pack was 3 times that of some of the other packs.....

now, for mod buggy this isnt a problem...it very well may be better to not have the punch....
In case you missed my post from last week…

Originally Posted by the incubus
Well I have a reedy saddle pack that cost waaaay more than I should've spent and just 5 months later THIS happened:

Approximately 30 cycles maybe because I usually run my Trak Power saddles for qualifiers) and practice and use these for mains but 10-12 cycles in and these would lose their punch a little over a minute into a run. Did several charge and discharge cycles and it remedied the issue for a few charge cycles but then began dumping again. I decided to run them for practice and setup, but today I go to work on my 410 and saw this.

You best believe I'm calling up reedy first thing in the morning!!!

I seem to remember reading a few months back how Reedy does not manufacture their own Lipo batteries and that their packs are actually manufactured by an Asian company that manufactures LiPo's for a several other LiPo "brands".

I don't know how accurate that information is, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's the truth. For a "quality" pack to separate the way my saddle pack has (a $120 pack mind you) is a bit alarming and should raise some serious red flags as to this supposed top notch quality associated with Reedy brand LiPo batteries. If it were just one of the packs I'd say sure, no problem, sometimes these things happen. But for 2 separate cells to fail identically tells me that sumpin' ain't right here.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

[QUOTE=sunco1;13125223]Just finished my build last night! Its a was a really nice kit to build. No missing parts either The centro chassis protector fit really well with only minimal trimming.

You need to strip less wire and tin your leads properly. You have much to much exposed contact points there (possible hazard) and cold solder joints, especially on the left one. Looks like you squashed it well with the tip of the iron. Were you saying hot potato as you soldered that one? LOL

Otherwise, car looks good.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
In case you missed my post from last week…

I seem to remember reading a few months back how Reedy does not manufacture their own Lipo batteries and that their packs are actually manufactured by an Asian company that manufactures LiPo's for a several other LiPo "brands".

I don't know how accurate that information is, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's the truth. For a "quality" pack to separate the way my saddle pack has (a $120 pack mind you) is a bit alarming and should raise some serious red flags as to this supposed top notch quality associated with Reedy brand LiPo batteries. If it were just one of the packs I'd say sure, no problem, sometimes these things happen. But for 2 separate cells to fail identically tells me that sumpin' ain't right here.
There was a guy in Phx that has this happen on the first charge of new packs. I was not there, nor do I know the details, but the pictures were posted a while back. I think he said he did a 1c charger and the packs popped the case open and you could clearly see each cell puffed up like a balloon. I am sure this can happen to any pack. This is why I dont invest in $100+ packs. There are sooo many sub $90 packs on the market that are very good.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

B5m isn't for everyone. The rear motor is more forgiving but the b5m is faster in the right hands on the right track.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

heres my track will a mid kit or rear kit for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.