Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HobbyKing X-Car System Timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Default HobbyKing X-Car System Timing

I have a HobbyKing X-Car 17.5 System 45A ESC (link) in one son's car. This car runs fantastic in the novice class. This has a FIXED endbell and software timing of LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH, and VERY HIGH. Currently on our track and with the cars present gearing a temp of 120 is achieved at the LOW timing setting. So I'll leave the timing right there.

The other son has a HobbyWing Justock (0 timing) and an assortment of my old 17.5 adjustable endbell motors. These motors all have different cryptic timing marks.

I'd like to make the two cars the same in timing and run the same gearing in both. My grade-school age sons were trying to kill each other at the last race because they thought one car was faster than the other.

Although I think it works great, I don't want to buy another complete HobbyKing X-Car 17.5 system because it is only legal for novice class at our track. My sons will move out of novice in due time.

Any suggestions? My thought is to run the Justock with a motor timed around 0 to 5 degrees and run the two cars myself and tweak from there to get them both the same.

Any other thoughts or more exact way to do this?

Another thought is to use this problem as an excuse to get the SKYRC Motor Analyzer. It looks like that device will figure out the fixed endbell timing of the HobbyKing X-Car motor, but I'm still left trying to figure out how much timing that HobbyKing ESC gives on "LOW" timing setting.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

IF the 45 is like the 120 X-Car, you need the PC connecter so you can fine tune the esc settings. You will need to download the software from Hobbywing,

Old 01-25-2015, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Yes get the USB dongle. Download the hobbywing program to your computer to use it. Then upload blinky software onto the esc. This will fix all timing at 0 just like the hw justock. Then use one of the adjustable endbell cans you have with it.

Btw I run the 120 X car in club racing and as long as it blinks nobody cares.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

I'll look into that. Though my initial impression is that since this works with the supplied programming card, the USB programming might not work. If I can get it into blinky I'll post my results.

Last edited by ic-racer; 01-25-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:57 AM
Tech Regular

My 120 works with the hw version of that program box you have as well as the usb.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Or just adjust end point on the transmitter so it goes similar speed then you dont have to reprogram etc. and you can do it on the fly...
Old 01-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

I've got the 60A version of that X-Car ESC. After some testing I discovered that the motor timing setting has NO EFFECT when operating in sensored mode (probably does something with sensorless motors). HobbyKing eventually confirmed this after a couple of emails. It is not from the same ESC family as the X-car 120A (a HobbyWing V2 clone) and the USB link probably won't work.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy
I've got the 60A version of that X-Car ESC. After some testing I discovered that the motor timing setting has NO EFFECT when operating in sensored mode (probably does something with sensorless motors). HobbyKing eventually confirmed this after a couple of emails. It is not from the same ESC family as the X-car 120A (a HobbyWing V2 clone) and the USB link probably won't work.
Ok so I made a make-shift dyno and indeed the 45-A ESC in the picture above has the same behavior. No timing changes unless the sensor cable is disconnected.