Wiki Posts
Search

REEDY TUNE PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default REEDY TUNE PROBLEMS

Have the REEDY 121 problem tuning the highend anyone give me any suggestions tried different temp plugs , running 20% byrons race fuel should take the extra shim out ?please help out Thanks !!!!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The Reedy carb has a fairly small tuning window. Be sure to adjust in very small increments especially on the HSN.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

what needle settings are you guys at roughly?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

1.) Set idle gap to roughly .7-.8mm (get motor up to full temp before tuning)
2.) HSN is very sensitive, 1hr makes very noticeable difference, LSN not as touchy.
3.) Once HSN comfy, set LSN to where it won't lean bog, and come from cleaned out down to idle very promptly, this is how you know LSN is correct.
4.) What do you mean when you say "extra" shim?? If you are running what came in the motor PLUS th extra 3rd one in the box, AND, 20% fuel, it will never run right. All the shims together equal .95mm, and you can use the stock .55 with 30%. Shim it to stock and it should immediatly help especially with lower nitro.
4.) Stock setting with a sensitive HSN are hard to give, humidity and ambient temp make a big difference in needle settings, as well as plug choice. I have had great luck with OD 97T, and some like a P4. P3 is too hot of a plug for most areas in summer time.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
2.) HSN is very sensitive, 1hr makes very noticeable difference, LSN not as touchy.
3.) Once HSN comfy, set LSN to where it won't lean bog, and come from cleaned out down to idle very promptly, this is how you know LSN is correct.
4.) What do you mean when you say "extra" shim?? If you are running what came in the motor PLUS th extra 3rd one in the box, AND, 20% fuel, it will never run right. All the shims together equal .95mm, and you can use the stock .55 with 30%. Shim it to stock and it should immediatly help especially with lower nitro.
4.) Stock setting with a sensitive HSN are hard to give, humidity and ambient temp make a big difference in needle settings, as well as plug choice. I have had great luck with OD 97T, and some like a P4. P3 is too hot of a plug for most areas in summer time.
We have similiar findings this past weekend. The 97T plug made a noticable difference. The HSN will also affect the low end lean bog in some ways too. I would also "Green Slime" the O-rings so the do not dry out, and threa seal/loctite the idle screw, it is a litte to free and may move due to how far out the screw is in proper postition. This has NOT been a proble, just an observation.

We also tried a OS 2050, and it ran very well. Here is another observation also, depending on what brand clutch, you may want to try running heavier clutch springs, this is just what we noticed..

Good Luck
Old 08-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I need help. My motor temps between 240-285 and runs great but it continues to stalls when I let off the throttle and begin to turn. I adjusted the idle screw without success. The motor seems better when the LSN and the HSN are set real lean. Any suggestions?

SPEEDSKI what kind of fuel mileage are you getting with the OS 2050??
Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

rcdub- what plug?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrcdub
I need help. My motor temps between 240-285 and runs great but it continues to stalls when I let off the throttle and begin to turn. I adjusted the idle screw without success. The motor seems better when the LSN and the HSN are set real lean. Any suggestions?

SPEEDSKI what kind of fuel mileage are you getting with the OS 2050??
Are you using a new plug after break in? If not lean the bottom and fatten the top, only an hour at a time. The 97T plug is also by far the best plug right now. I played with P3, P4 and 97T back to back this weekend. I also played with AE 2035 and OS 2060 pipe back to back and like the OS 2060 pipe better. I will try the OS 2050 soon, I'll have to order one up!

Also guy with the Exergen temp gun, are you getting a high reading on the head than the crank case? I noticed with my OS motors they were very close to each other. With the Reedy I can get the thing perfectly tune, just an hour from being rich and the head temps 295-300 but the case is at 250. If I back down the settings its way to fat.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
can you tell me approximately where your needles are set?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by megasaxon
can you tell me approximately where your needles are set?

Send me PM, we can discuss critical factors, I really hate giving "settings" because I have learned over the past few months as temps and humidity has changed big time, it makes a difference.

As for a basic setting, I have found once I set the idle gap, if I bottom out the LSN then back it off 2 and 3/4 turns, it's pretty close, then also bottom out the HSN and back it off about 2 1/4 turn it's pretty close.

Keep in mind that the HSN is sensitive, an hour makes a great difference. So the 2 1/4 turns may not be perfect. Also the type of fuel will change tune. I run Sidewinder 30% witrh these settings, and 97T.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm using a OD 97T plug... I replaced the plug after the engine was broken in.. My engine runs great at 295-300 head temps also..