Wiki Posts
Search

Cen Matrix truggy 9 months later

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Cen Matrix truggy 9 months later

I bought my CEN Matrix TR Arena back in January. It has proved to be a good solid truggy and a capable racer. I have not suffered any major problems other than the substandard engine which I have replaced, first with an OS 30VG and then with a XTM 457 Pro. I have made several upgrades to improve both reliability and performance. I wanted to post this info for those that may be considering a Matrix or already have one and are considering upgrades. First the stock motor had very bad quality control, but CEN has since changed to SH motors which are far better. I went with the OS because of there reputation, I was not happy with the new liner material on the 30VG and switched to the XTM Pro which is a 6 port ABC motor and it has been very strong. I have replaced the following with the CNC alloy pieces, the front spindles because the stock part is very soft and the screws will pull out. I also went with the CNC suspension parts because of the abuse they take, and lastly the servo saver/steering arm (which is weak in stock form). In my opinion that is all that needs to be upgraded to CNC alloy. I am running a Hitech (300oz) servo for steering, some say this is overkill but when those big tires start spinning there is a hugh amount of centrifical force generated that the servo must deal with. On the throttle I have a ACE 1313 which is fast and powerful. I switched to the 17mm hubs from the buggy because of wieght savings and a better selection of wheels. I have the CEN piggyback shock reservoirs and RMV progressive springs because for my track the stock springs were too soft. I added a JP-3 pipe/header and a brace to support the pipe, I found after some big air landings that the pipe would pull apart slightly in the middle causing a momentary air leak, with the brace it is rock solid. I added a NOVA cooling head and an OS air cleaner. You may have also noticed that my truggy has two fuel tanks, I added a second tank to give me more run time during practice sessions, it can be removed in 30 secs for racing. I have the Hickerson diff mod (replaced the LSD with open diffs) and I am running 10K-30K-5K. The steering gets sloppy after a while so I added flanged bearings to the steering plate and Kyosho bolts that are longer than the stock CEN screws and allow you to add a lock nut which really tightens up the steering. Spektrum rx with telemetry. Well I think that's it, if you have questions let me know.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

the two fuel tanks is sweet good job man
Old 09-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah i like that fuel tank idea... may try that on my firestorm.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Seems like too many "hopups" for a high end kit. However, Id never put 2 fuel tanks in my vehicle unless it was race legal...Ill stick with Losi, Mugen and Xray....
Old 09-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you race it with both tanks, or is that just your 'Bashin' setup?

Looks like a fun rig!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

You can't race with 2 tanks. The stock tank with 1 filter and 10" of fuel line is exactly 150cc - the maximum allowed for racing.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

I just added the 2nd tank recently to get a little more run time during practice sesions on non-race days. As Gene mentioned it is illegal to run more than a 150cc fuel tank in a truggy for racing in sanctioned events. As I stated the tank/bracket is held on by two 3mm cap screws located just next to the tank (top/inboard side) and can be removed in 30 secs. So when I race the tank comes off.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
Seems like too many "hopups" for a high end kit. However, Id never put 2 fuel tanks in my vehicle unless it was race legal...Ill stick with Losi, Mugen and Xray....
its a RTR kit upgraded, but thanks for coming out,
Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Cool

Thanks for this thread, i have been on here shopping for a new truggy and Cen has been the one im leaning towards. So this was very helpful.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

After 9 months the truggy is still going strong. I practice race at least 8 hours every week. This time is shared between my 1/8 buggy and some brushless cars, but the truggy gets the most action. In the 9 months since I have had the Matrix TR here is what was replaced/broke:
  • Original motor (CEN) - replaced with XTM 457 after metal shavings damaged the stocker, using an OS 203 air filter.
  • Spur - replaced after 6 months, normal wear
  • CNC steering bell - replaced with stronger part
  • CNC spindles - replaced stockers, screw pulled out of stock spindle
  • Piggyback shocks - added for more oil capacity
  • RMV springs - replaced, stock springs too soft for my track
  • Tires/wheels - replaced with Pro-line CF & 17mm hubs (lighter)
  • Hickerson diff mod (all 3 diffs) - replaced LSD with open style
  • Replaced servos - 1 stock servo broke after 4 months replaced both
  • Center drive cups - replaced at 4 months, worn out.
  • Rear wing mount - at 4 months replaced broken part
  • Front body mount (plastic part) - replaced broken part
  • Replaced tx/rx with Spektrum system.
  • Clutch bell bearings, shoes, springs - replaced several times, normal wear
Old 10-04-2007, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Machine's R/C H
You can't race with 2 tanks. The stock tank with 1 filter and 10" of fuel line is exactly 150cc - the maximum allowed for racing.

Is it not just the tank that as to be 150cc.Not counting the fuel line or if you run 1 or 2 filters
Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

The tank, fuel line, and filters have to be less then 150cc.

For buggy, 125cc. The Matrix buggy tank is about 119cc, but with fuel line and 2 filters, it is 125cc exactly. If you are at 126cc, you will be disqaulified just like the TQ was at the 2004 IFMAR Worlds in Sweden.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

CEN Matrix vehicles are quite good for the money you pay. If it wasn't for frustration with Nitro engines and the fact I didn't know much about the whole 1/8 scale buggy electric conversions, I would have kept mine.

I was very impressed with the CEN Matrix TR RTR version, it is one heck of a vehicle out on the track.