Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Drivers Etiquette, How to teach your fellow racers without knocking their teeth out >

Drivers Etiquette, How to teach your fellow racers without knocking their teeth out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drivers Etiquette, How to teach your fellow racers without knocking their teeth out

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by wittyname
I think the hot headed A holes are worse for the hobby than the new guy that hacks me because he made a dumb mistake. He made a MISTAKE , being a A hole is on purpose. Being friends with those I race with allows me to kindly repay him another day , with a laugh .

The title of this thread may offer some insight into the problem as well ... I could never see myself fighting over someones mistake on the track. Rediculous

Yea there's nothing you can do about guys who take it to seriously racing/marshalling. But really i learned over the years to just race my truck and ignore them guys . I remmend new guys to do the same thing.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dezertranger96
I like the idea of a drivers meeting/etiquette class. I will be the first to admit, I have taken people out on accident, normally it's because I lose traction, or carry too much speed into a corner, and the person Infront if me is slower through that turn. The stock buggy class at our track has slowly turned into who has the fastest motor, and can go the fastest down the straightaway. People aren't focusing on lines, instead they are running as much throttle as they can at all times. There is very little finely tuned stock buggies now, I feel like it is a sloppy mod class with the way they are running. The triple/ quad section should be a downside triple, instead they are trying to flat land it, or even quad it. My car is set to barely clear the triple and I have an 8.5. This is far more consistent, the stock class is an absolute drag to Marshall. I think if will be talking to the RD about a little etiquette class next time I am there for racing
Jacob, you get it. I tried everything to keep it together Wed night. As you no, I am a descent driver without wicked moves, a bit more on the smooth side. As running from7th qualifier up to 2nd I figured I was out of the mess, then whammy as a car flies across the pipes head on into me. To add to the nightmare certain drivers there just can't grasp the fact we have open wheels on the buggies. Talking to our RD does nothing. I have asked him to do something about this a number of times with no results. When he did, he was calling out people who weren't an issue. It really just boils down to the fact our stock class is full of guys trying to win no matter what without any concern about doing it clean. I completely understand when something happens on the track by accident like when the 2 of us got together in Mod on the step on step off. You are not an issue as I can see, you drive as clean as possible without any wicked moves unlike some others.When the driving is clearly too aggressive is what my issue is about. Try to talk to RD, but I think it will go nowhere. BTW, if you need some tips or help getting your B5 dial I would be glad to help you.

My opinion is the RD should have a clear meeting before the races(each heat and main) talking about clean races. He should also penalize the people who don't drive clean if they are complained about,legit complaints.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by bambambennett
Jacob, you get it. I tried everything to keep it together Wed night. As you no, I am a descent driver without wicked moves, a bit more on the smooth side. As running from7th qualifier up to 2nd I figured I was out of the mess, then whammy as a car flies across the pipes head on into me. To add to the nightmare certain drivers there just can't grasp the fact we have open wheels on the buggies. Talking to our RD does nothing. I have asked him to do something about this a number of times with no results. When he did, he was calling out people who weren't an issue. It really just boils down to the fact our stock class is full of guys trying to win no matter what without any concern about doing it clean. I completely understand when something happens on the track by accident like when the 2 of us got together in Mod on the step on step off. You are not an issue as I can see, you drive as clean as possible without any wicked moves unlike some others.When the driving is clearly too aggressive is what my issue is about. Try to talk to RD, but I think it will go nowhere. BTW, if you need some tips or help getting your B5 dial I would be glad to help you.

My opinion is the RD should have a clear meeting before the races(each heat and main) talking about clean races. He should also penalize the people who don't drive clean if they are complained about,legit complaints.
i agree, meetings and penalties would fix 75% of it, the other 25% is people getting to caught up in the moment and getting mad and just blasting people everywhere. I personally am only going to run stock at large events from now on, like Brian does. its just not worth dealing with the no-respect driving, and the vehicular punishment on my $500 cars, now the Mod class is all about clean driving, SStruck is fairly clean too although right now my set up is so far off i am messing everything up in those races, i still try to be considerate and pull over as i change things and adjust stuff to get my car dialed in. people just think "oh, just drop it on the track, its perfect out of the box" meanwhile they are crashing and burning the rest of us during the race, i dont know how many times i just took the wide line because i am not on pace and wanted to see the good battles stay battles. that is what racing is about, evenly matched cars where it comes down to driver skill.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname
I think the hot headed A holes are worse for the hobby than the new guy that hacks me because he made a dumb mistake. He made a MISTAKE , being a A hole is on purpose. Being friends with those I race with allows me to kindly repay him another day , with a laugh .

The title of this thread may offer some insight into the problem as well ... I could never see myself fighting over someones mistake on the track. Rediculous
I totally agree. I don't have a problem with mistakes. I have a problem with Joe Racer who's yelling at other drivers, yelling at turn marshals, yelling at the race director, and generally making an @ss of himself.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
I totally agree. I don't have a problem with mistakes. I have a problem with Joe Racer who's yelling at other drivers, yelling at turn marshals, yelling at the race director, and generally making an @ss of himself.
+1 This type of behavior is the fastest way to ruin this hobby by keeping new people from joining.

I also agree though, that there should be some form of education by the RD or somebody experienced/fast guy at the track to help the newbie who just doesn't know and/or doesn't have the skill yet.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There really isnt a "new guy " class. It should be , but it isnt... Usually they are thrown in with the kids , and usually they are faster than the kids . Not really the right place for them. But , we cant keep diluting the classes down either .
Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

sounds almost like the guys in your class are overpowered for what they can handle.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

step 1 is to identify what you are dealing with

there are two types of drivers, newbies who cant control their car and seasoned racers who choose not to.

If its a newbie, theres nothing you can do, they should be fairly easy to avoid with the exception of jumping into oncoming traffic (clearly a newbie, accident in this case)

If its a seasoned racer who chooses not to drive clean on a consistent basis, you teach him a lesson on the track. If he's going to consistently ruin your race, just put him in the wall a few times. He will think twice about doing it again. No words need to be exchanged.

Problem solved.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

While the title is slightly misleading, mr.bennett is one of the most cool minded people I have met, Wednesday night he got taken out a few times, he didn't once yell on the drivers stand, he pulled of, and walked calmly back to the pits. That is how it is supposed to be done. We have a few young kids, younger than me(just turned 18), at our track that if they aren't in the lead they drive like idiots, jumping pipes, and crashing horrendously. This is something I would like to see change, just have the RD say calm it down out there to those people when they are driving like that. Now if they are having a good race, then they are normally good drivers
Old 05-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

one thing that I know taught a few of us a lesson when first started offroad was a driver dropping one of those silver can mabuchi motors in the stock class and spanking us. He said it was because he felt the 27T motors were overpowered for the conditions and it showed. When he lent me his car I was amazed how much faster I could drive it by being slower.

I did something kind of like that once on indoors carpet for the mod class, winning using a 17.5T motor with 12.5mm rotor.

Maybe that would help with your track too. Though, part of me still feels that at some places even "stock" 17.5 is too fast for those starting out. darn near need a handout "stock" motor at those places in a 21.5 or even 25.5 setup.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eaglesrx
+1 This type of behavior is the fastest way to ruin this hobby by keeping new people from joining.

I also agree though, that there should be some form of education by the RD or somebody experienced/fast guy at the track to help the newbie who just doesn't know and/or doesn't have the skill yet.
Yeah, it really does. I've seen it drive away people first hand. I saw a group of two dads with 3 kids vow to never return to my local track because of some "jerks" at the track. I totally regret not saying something to them to encourage them to come back. I was a newbie then and not real confident yet. Now, for sure, I would talk with them and try to change their mind. I guess they were getting hammered around the track or yelled at. Disgraceful. Joe Racer has no clue that by driving way these folks, you slowly stick a nail into the coffin of that track. In this case, he drove away 5 paying customers and numerous cost in parts/tires/upgrades that they could have been buying at the track store.

A track could really help themselves by offering some occasional beginner courses for newbies. How to tune, maintain and race their cars. Raise their confidence big time.

Last edited by blade329; 05-23-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Sounds like the track needs to split the classes into intermediate and expert. That's what our local track does and it really helps keep things cool between racers. The guys that have been racing for years and take it seriously run expert and the newer guys run int. We also have a rookie class for someone just getting started and the kids.

But bottom line it's the race director's job to keep people under control on the track. If they don't want to deal with it then the only other options are to stop racing stock or go somewhere else.

It's easy to say calm down and have fun they're just toy cars. If you were racing dirt bikes and some guy kept pulling an Alessi and taking you out would you have the same attitude? Calm down they're only toy motorcycles. Lol. You buy toy cars at radio shack.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

One of the problems is that these guys who drive like this have been racing for more than 6 months, not exactly a newby anymore. IMO, it should be common sense not to drive thru others or overdrive your ability. We used to have one guy in stock that drove like this, he doesn't race anymore but now we have 9 more just like him. Another problem is sometimes there is not enough signed up to run 2 classes. Also, all the idiots who drive recklessly will sign up for expert because they feel they are. It cracks me up to watch these guys during practice. Drive,crash,walk down the drivers stand to get their car, back up the steps, repeat. Literally at most 1.5-2 laps before they are repeating the process. I can run a moderate pace with no crashes for at least 5 minutes most the time, however I don't have the fastest fast lap. Usually in mod I am 1 second of the leader and in stock almost a second, but I hate to rely on marshals so I drive conservatively.

To me, their behavior is a lack of conditioning. That is probably why they feel it is acceptable to drive like they do. A few have gotten so mad they just made it a point to throw their race and pay it back. This is not they correct thing to do, however it was really funny listening to the guy next to me on the stand bitching about someone hacking him. He is the biggest hack of them all. Karma!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Like i was saying before there is nothing you can do about guys who yell at the marshalls you just ignore them there the ones who look like fools. During racing there is some guys who do it if you hit them.

Etc but most dont you got to remember also its in the heat of the moment so its not personall some guys get to hyped up . So to any newbie just ignore them and keep racing your own truck/buggy.

If a 17.5 brushless is to fast in anything 2wd than them guys need to race tycos sorry but there far from uncontrollble lol. I think most tracks should only have a Mod class anyways not stock we know what leads to $$ .

But yes the race directer needs to split up the fast guys from the slower ones (AKA hacks ) .
Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

big track
+
3 marshals only
+
no running allowed

= problem solved. If the hacks spend 30 seconds on their lids, they'll learn eventually. Might be a few innocent bystanders along the way, but It should average out in the clean racers favor.

RD's do need to get on the ball about calling out penalties.

A mains and B mains split the men from the boys. No need for Dunce classes. Usually when the hacking is the worst at a track, they don't have enough racers in that class for a B main. So the hacks make the A. Still think the stock/mod split was a good idea? If you combined them in an open class, there would be a B main.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.