Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 05:21 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So what happened, Johnbull never got his browser problems figured out? I would love to be jawing with him about how the Williams team did.

But, if he tried getting IE6 with a dial-up modem and a slow computer, he may still be downloading!
Old 09-05-2001, 07:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking Yokomo TC

Just got a yokomo mr4 pro......good shape, but i dont know where to get hop up parts....i gotta have lots of hopups.....anybody have any ideas?
email me [email protected] or send me a PM

thanks
Old 09-05-2001, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

www.speedtechrc.com

they sell pretty much everything at good prices!
Old 09-05-2001, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

Wassup Speedo what's been cooking!!! I remember I won second place and my car was crawling to the finish line!!! One of the most embarassing things that can happen!!! HAHA But you can always make fun of yourself.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:48 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

Any Gearing recommendations for a Peak "Spitfire" stock motor?
The guys running them at my track are using 27 and 28t pinions so far, is this about right?
Josh, you've seen the track, do you think this is in the ballpark as far as gearing?
Old 09-05-2001, 11:50 PM
Tech Adept

My most embarrassing experience with my Yok was when I put my car on the track to grid up for the A. But when I got to the drivers stand and hit the throttle, my car just kinda vibrated and started slowing inching and spinning around in circles. I had never seen anything like it before and I was wondering what the heck could be wrong with my car? So the marshal picked up my car, looked at it for a second, and practically peed in his pants laughing. Turns out I didn't have ANY shocks in the car. I had rebuilt them and forgot to put them back in. I still chuckle about that one from time to time.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:08 AM
Tech Adept

Dave: have you try different versions of the front swaybar? how to select them for different track condition? thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2001, 03:34 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys and greetings from Malta.

Great to be back. You won't rib me much any more for I now have a new state of the art computer. Now I need to learn how to use it.

Boy does RCtech come up quick now!!!

Darkside - what did you think to the Williams cock up? Like Dave says it's nice to see it's not only us that do these things. Mind you I did a similar one with the real race car last month. I moved the radiator back to make it neater. It rubbed through the main coil HT lead and caused a huge misfire - like the car gets on the rev limiter at 3000rpm instead of 9000. Except that it didn't cost me a few million dollars to get there.

Dave, good to see you're into F1 too. Do you follow the bikes too?

I've been busy putting people's Yokes together the last couple of days, as well as help son Josh prepare his real race car engine, so haven't been down to the track. Hope to go down tonight.

Adam. I hope to finish your Yoke this evening and I'll bring it down with me.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-06-2001, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Smile Big Race this weekend

I want to talk tires and inserts...

I've always used 24mm Sprint tires (206F) with Yokomo 24mm medium inserts and have been happy with that combination.

I figure if I use some "high dollar" tire, traction has to be as good, if not better. I bought a set of Sorex 28R tires, however, I have not mounted them or purchased any inserts yet. They cost me $32 (ouch), but it's a big race and don't want to be limited by tires, especially with with the car running so well.

Should I keep these tires? If so, what inserts do you recommend?

Should I return these, and buy some others? If so, which tires and inserts?

The track is very large with medium traction characteristics as I mentioned below. The competition will be stiff with racers from as far away as NY and NC. In the past two years I've qualified first in the "B" Main. This year I want "A"!

Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-2001, 05:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it. How about for the hotter winds like the 9t triple or the 10t double? And any suugestions for the rear gear box. Cause dirt always find its way in mine every five minute run. I have to open it up again and again. Thanks again!!
Old 09-06-2001, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No sell me the tires Geppetto. Yea that's what you should do!
Old 09-06-2001, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Geppetto- What surface are you running on? If it's carpet, KEEP THOSE TIRES!!. They are gonna hook!!! As far as wheels, I would use either the Sorex or Yokomo aerodish. Personally I prefer the ABS aero from Yok, but I've been using the Sorex' too, and they work great. As far as the insert, you can't go wrong with the HPI red or green. I prefer green, but we run all asphalt. Might ask the other fast guys who run there... I would guess green. Also, Paragon gound FX is a good traction compound for the Sorex'. Make sure to wipe it off right before you run.

Oh yea, and if you're goning to glue them up before the race, make SURE to seal them in an airtight container. I would put a little paragon or hand lotion on them right before you seal them, too.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Mars - Yes I've tried different versions of swaybars for the car. As far as choosing thickness, I would typically keep stepping up the bar until the front end of the car stops losing feeling. When a bar is too thick, you'll lose traction and performance and make the car feel less natural to drive. I'm currently running the Bronze (.064") up front and my car still has some chassis lean which is a good thing but not too much. On the SP, there are actually 2 different styles of front swaybars that you can use in the front. The Upper-Deck mounted version is supposed to reduce initial steer-in but provide better middle and exit corner speed as compared to the World's swaybar which doesn't react initially as fast but comes more into effect into the middle and exit of the turn. I run the World's style and it feels smooth to me.

johnbull - I enjoy F1 but I haven't had much of a history of following it. If I know there's a race on, I will watch it. I've more recently developed an interest in it and other racing (like cycles) because I changed to the Dish Network and now I have SpeedVision...wooohooo.

Geppetto - Like BigDog said, the best thing to do is try and run what the fastest guys are running. Yok 138G's are an excellent asphault tire as well. I haven't tried 139's on asphault but if their carpet performance is any indication of how they will work on your asphault track, it would be hard for me to overlook using that tire. My car produces faster laptimes on the Yoks then it will on Sorrex.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:33 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Great to see you back on the board Johnbull. Honestly, I was actually sad to see that happen. I wanted it to be a race where there was some competition at the end. But really, Williams screwed up Ralfs wing package so terribly that he wouldn't have been able to keep up with Micheal anyway. How can you get the package so right in qualifying and get it so wrong in the race? I would bet you $$$ that they were hoping it would rain. Thats why they had so much downforce on Ralf's car. But, the driver has the final say in that matter, so as for being slow once he got off the jacks, its just as much his fault as the team's fault.

Geppetto: I would say keep the tires. If for no other reason, to have a wider selection of brands. I personally don't think ANY tire selection is complete with out a full set of the Low Profile Losi Yellows, but thats just because these are my favorite tires. Pair them with some med or firm Yokomo inserts and you've got a hard to beat, hook up anywhere, tire combo. Stay away from the wider versions though, the ones that come with inserts. They don't last as long as the low profile ones. Good luck at the BIG RACE!
Old 09-06-2001, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Just got e-mail back from the local guy who's expected to win the "A", and he says that he will be using the Sorex 28r's, so I'll stick with them. He likes the Yokomo non-repulsion inserts though. I think that I'll go with the Yokomo mediums instead.

Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.