Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2014 U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A. >

2014 U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scirocco14
Will there be awards/trophies for the USVTA Sportsman class? Or is it just for grins?

Mark
you can grin...and win nice trophys....sportsman and Jr are just as important as any class....

Originally Posted by mackin
I'll be there on Wed. Plenty to do in Nashville!

chuck
true Chuck...any of you can help me work ?...any takers?...lol

Originally Posted by mhopper
I appreciate the offering of a sportsman class! I don't race vta regularly and am coming just because you guys do such a great job with this race! It is tons of fun! Last year I was dead last and I am still coming back again. If you are serious enough to be worried about points, then run the other class. Because, after all, aren't you chasing points against those upper level drivers anyway? It wouldn't be right to use a national level race as a way to get EASY points. We would have people sand bagging left and right. I don't pretend to be a sportsman driver, I DESERVE to be there. (that is a polite way of saying that I know I suck!)
Thank you
Old 08-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeboy
Just a few bodies that I've been working on for the Southern Nationals .

hey... some of those look familiar
Old 08-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I just noticed the dice on the risk sciences logo are wrong. On a set of dice the opposite side faces always add up to seven, so 5 opposite 2, 4 opposite 3 etc. The dice in the logo has 5 a quarter turn away from 2....cheater dice!!!!
You are absolutely right. And, it was intentional. Only about 1 in 100 people notice this detail. And, we use that fact to send exactly the message you got. Just 'cuz the label says "17.5" doesn't mean that's really what's really in the motor. Gotta check the detail. Thanks for noticing.

Tim Moore
Pres., Risk Sciences
Old 08-29-2014, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What is the word on hotels? Are there any offering deals for this race?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:01 AM
Tech Champion

sorry to report..we will not have a host hotel this year, unless something changes.....

all the hotels in the area have got...pricey, for some reason

best thing to do is hotels.com or internet site for hotels in Rivergate,Donelson, or Opryland area

Sorry guys...Im still looking...but prices are over $70
Attached Thumbnails 2014 U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.-logo.jpg   2014 U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.-summitrcraceway2011logocropped.jpg   2014 U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.-110684_sm.jpg   2014 U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.-headerrcamerica1.gif   2014 U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.-boca_logo.png  

Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

list updated
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
Not trying to be an ass here, but helps what?

After one re-sort, you're racing against people of your own level anyway.

I see several negatives of this, and am still looking for the first benefit...
It gives people like me that don't have piles of money or the greatest driving skills a chance to have some fun! If the class bothers you then don't run it!
Old 08-30-2014, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Isn't sportsman VTA just a nice way of saying VTA E main? Probably doesn't change the points upload.
Kinda what I was thinking

*Run 2 rounds of qualifying
Top 30 "pro"

*Run 3 remaining rounds
Top 30 = A B C "pro" mains
31- "sportsman" A B C...etc mains

Bump up
Top 2 times from B main "pro" through last "sportsman" main
Bump to 11th and 12th in "pro" A main.

*Racers run in the Main they qualified.

*"Sportsman"are still awarded points and trophies

*Gives a chance for everyone to move up at anytime...
*lessen the chance of sandbagging.
*keeps the field larger overall but still awards the "sportsman" field

Obviously this is just a brainstorm. The numbers are not exact...I mean you can do top 40 splits the field for example. Feel free to pick it apart

Chad
Old 08-30-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mhopper
It gives people like me that don't have piles of money or the greatest driving skills a chance to have some fun! If the class bothers you then don't run it!
You do realize how the regular system works right? After one qualifier, you're running with people real close to your ability for the REST OF THE EVENT. You'd have the exact same amount of fun EITHER WAY.

And frankly, that was the beauty of the 1 minute qualifier. It was a great pre-sorter in so many ways. If you were an A-sort driver you could go for it or play it safe. If you went for it and had a problem, you had to work your way back up the ladder. If you were an last-sort driver, you went directly there. 2nd best drama of the weekend.

Last edited by .crispy; 08-30-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

60+ total VTA racers....

might make top 30 Pro, and 31 and below sportsman and keep them together for the Nat Point system, but separate for this event...
Old 08-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Or here is an idea....

Run everyone as one class, but at sign in let the eligible "sportsman" drivers claim this. An "s" could appear after thier name on the results, Then run the 60+ drivers together for the entire event. Once the mains are done and final results figured, go down the list and hand out the sportsman awards in the order they finish. ( for example, if the top sportsman driver was 3rd in the b, then the next sportsman driver won the c, then the next was 4th in the c, those would be your podium for the sportsman class)

That way everyone runs together, all 60 drivers are national points eligible, and sportsman guys can race with the pro guys of their speed while still being recognized for their own achievements without having to split it up into 2 groups.

This make sense? I think it's the best and most fair way to handle this situation.

Otherwise guys sitting in the low 20s may try to sand bag and get to 31 so that can be awarded a "first place in sportsman" instead of 8th in the pro c.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
Or here is an idea....

Run everyone as one class, but at sign in let the eligible "sportsman" drivers claim this. An "s" could appear after thier name on the results, Then run the 60+ drivers together for the entire event. Once the mains are done and final results figured, go down the list and hand out the sportsman awards in the order they finish. ( for example, if the top sportsman driver was 3rd in the b, then the next sportsman driver won the c, then the next was 4th in the c, those would be your podium for the sportsman class)

That way everyone runs together, all 60 drivers are national points eligible, and sportsman guys can race with the pro guys of their speed while still being recognized for their own achievements without having to split it up into 2 groups.

This make sense? I think it's the best and most fair way to handle this situation.

Otherwise guys sitting in the low 20s may try to sand bag and get to 31 so that can be awarded a "first place in sportsman" instead of 8th in the pro c.
That would probably work as well.

Like I said I was brainstorming...

I personally would rather run them all together...

For example: I would rather say I finished in the top 20 out of 60 drivers then say I beat 5 racers and took down the A-Main victory

But to each his own...

Whatever it takes to keep people racing and helps to grow RC...
Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

good ideas, but I think its too close to the event to change now. From looking at how people are signed up I think more people are pushing themselves to run in the 'pro' class than are sandbagging for a trophy in amat. There are several racers I can identify that would challenge for the win in amat but are signed up for pro. Kudos to them.

I think we're getting a little too worried about this IMHO. If I had my druthers it would be one class but the race isn't set up that way. The race director can always move someone up into the pro class if they are that much faster.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mikel33
good ideas, but I think its too close to the event to change now. From looking at how people are signed up I think more people are pushing themselves to run in the 'pro' class than are sandbagging for a trophy in amat. There are several racers I can identify that would challenge for the win in amat but are signed up for pro. Kudos to them.

I think we're getting a little too worried about this IMHO. If I had my druthers it would be one class but the race isn't set up that way. The race director can always move someone up into the pro class if they are that much faster.
True. Just brainstorming ideas.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mikel33
I think we're getting a little too worried about this IMHO. If I had my druthers it would be one class but the race isn't set up that way.
It's a bigger deal than you think for some. If you're one of the top drivers there is no doubt where you're going to race. Same for the newer slower drivers. But as someone who has won the D main at one of these big events, that puts me dab smack in the middle of the field of 60-70.

So what do I do? Do I run Sportsman and risk not having any fun or do I run at the back of the top 35 and challenge myself. My goal is to finish in the top 30 or C main. Can't do that if I run Sportsman...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.