Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Yeah Racing shock gear dampers, TRF and CVA, thoughts... >

Yeah Racing shock gear dampers, TRF and CVA, thoughts...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Yeah Racing shock gear dampers, TRF and CVA, thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Default Yeah Racing shock gear dampers, TRF and CVA, thoughts...

So after buying TRF dampers and seeing how they are manufactured, and build up. I decided to try some Yeah Racing shock gear dampers for almost 1/3 the price.

It's too early to tell with leakage and all, but as for machining quality, the YR damper bodies are on par. Also, YR's instructions say to use 1 clear o-ring like the TRFs. But actually provide 16! Tamiya provides only 4 I built the YR dampers with 2 o-rings each, so I have an extra 8 to rebuild at a later time. The shocks come with lots of different springs, albeit shorter than Tamiya springs, I guess you would just need to screw the shock collar lower to achieve the same settings. I ended up using my white Tamiya springs (I think they are the same hardness as the yellows). Ball studs, extra e-clips, 1 extra shock cap and damper end are included (in case of crash) and the urethane seals seem to be just as good. I mean how is it Tamiya can charge $60+ for TRF dampers if YR is charging like $20 (US dollars) for an almost identical product?

Anyway I am pretty impressed with the value. The one thing that might be worth mentioning is the pistons are clearly better than the CVA tree parts, but not quite as thick as the white plastic pistons that Tamiya has. I ended up using my extra Tamiya 2hole white TRF pistons, and the included YR 300cst fluid. I got the 55mm ones, but they come in 60mm too.

I have yet to use them, but they feel smoooooth. I will try them on both of my Tamiya cars.

And here I thought the CVA dampers weren't that bad. They really arent, just the pistons suck and the shock collars are silly annoying. I used 80wt with 2 hole pistons to get the same damping as 40wt with 3 hole using the white TRF pistons. Now I've got like 5 sets of YR pistons rebuild my CVAs with now. All I need is another car to use them on.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Interesting info
Have you tried compatibility with TRF shocks? Problem of these cheap shocks is that it's sometimes hard to find spare parts (mainly o-rings and rod guides).. It would be nice if those fit from Tamiya
Old 02-01-2017, 02:05 AM
Tech Addict

Identical, the o-rings, pistons, rod guides, shafts, top cap insert, shaft end, urethane bladder, they are a perfect fit with Tamiya.

I am going out on a limb here, but maybe even the thread pitch is the same. I think they're are suppose to be a replica. Maybe even manufactured in the same factory, just branded different.

The shock cap, pistons, and shaft end, spring cup aren't the same design but similar and fit with TRF/CVA dampers. The plastic might be a little different too, everything is interchangeable with Tamiya parts.

Originally Posted by Papi
Interesting info
Have you tried compatibility with TRF shocks? Problem of these cheap shocks is that it's sometimes hard to find spare parts (mainly o-rings and rod guides).. It would be nice if those fit from Tamiya

Last edited by 4roller; 02-01-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Only time/testing will tell. Keep us posted.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

So putting the yeah racing damper bodies beside TRF 55mm damper bodies and shafts, you can tell they are identical.

From now on, I'll be purchasing the Yeah Racing dampers. No leaks so far. It's been a week.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The tapering on the end caps looks a bit more pronounced on the YR shocks, but they do look like a pretty convincing copy. I might try a set on one of my minis.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The tapering on the end caps looks a bit more pronounced on the YR shocks, but they do look like a pretty convincing copy. I might try a set on one of my minis.
For all intents and purposes, they are functionally equivalent. The measurements of spring cups are identical. The shaft ends and top caps are made of a harder (britler) plastic material. But you can replace pieces with Tamiya bits as needed.

I think YR also make a 50mm damper for minis.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

I've been using Yeah Racing adjustable dampers basically since they released them for drifting and can testify that after years of use they hold up well. I've only ever had 1 leak at the bottom o-rings, but after replacing the o-ring it's good as new. The springs they come with are the weak point, IMO anyways. I'm sure racing puts more stress and wear on them, but these are worth every penny and then some.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default TC 6.1 replacements?

I saw these on ebay and have wondered if they would make a good replacement or spare set for a Team Associated TC 6.1
Old 02-05-2017, 01:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for info, would love to try one on later soon.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RacerX20L
I saw these on ebay and have wondered if they would make a good replacement or spare set for a Team Associated TC 6.1
Did you try these on the 6.1 , wondering the same. Thanks
Old 04-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

I have tested these in a club race on my VTA car and the car handle very well. I had 450cst oil and the 4 hole piston installed running on high grip black carpet.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You can use the tamiya plastic rebuild parts (rod guides, bushings, etc.) and the shocks will be great. We used to do the same with 3 racing
and SpecR shocks.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

will the regular associated tc springs work on these shocks ????
Old 04-10-2018, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL
will the regular associated tc springs work on these shocks ????
If they fit original Tamiya TRF shocks, then they will fit these.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.