Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Experienced 8th Scale Racers...Need Opinions! >

Experienced 8th Scale Racers...Need Opinions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experienced 8th Scale Racers...Need Opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:36 AM
Tech Master

Great stuff fellas,
Yeah I'm very experienced with RC. Been in the game for about 11 years now mixing in with organized racing, stunt and drift exhibitions. Racing is my favorite because of its detail/envolvement on and off the track plus the competition elements. Built plenty of kits in my time. I'm just the type that likes challenges. I've never ran anything in 8th scale, and its the hottest ticket going in RC. With the high participation, demographic, and platform after platform being pumped out, 8th is the best investment. I more than likely will not mind starting out with a higher end RTR in TODAY's RC racing culture more than that of a few years back. Back then, RTRs were no where as stable as they are now. "Club level" racing today, you can get an high end RTR, with the right upgrades, and solid driving skills and you're a contender for wins...Done it B4 and when I told fellow competitors it was an RTR, with a few tweeks, twists and turns,,,well this look ,,,is priceless. I've ran High end kits that sucked, and low end kits that performed like High end kits, and thats what I love about competition RC. My main goal is to develope skills with 8th scale within the club levels enough to invest in major money kits and hit a few factory sanctioned races. You guys are giving me the information I was looking for PLUS more!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

CEN matrix pro kit $350

http://www.headrushhobbies.com/estor...itro%20Buggies
Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you are serious about racing save up $1000 and do it right I started with a used RTR 8 and it became a money pit quickly. Shock towers broke, needed a new back plate and engine mounts to make it a bump start. servos blew almost immediately. I could keep going. Buy a new engine, shop around for other stuff used and you can probably get a race ready set up for $800. Remember you'll need a few spares as well. Things like hinge pins, bearings, clutch shoes, and stuff like that. Count on a $1000 MINIMUM investment if you really think you want to race.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i agree with these guys start on a buggy. i started on a truggy and a hard time with the buggy when i went to buggy. buggy you learn alot better of the 8th scale cars. i sugest a jammin x1x buggy of ebay or a losi rtr, or even the sprtwerks turmoil rtr. both the eight and the turmoil are rtr and come with spektrum dx2s and are in the 500 dollar range
Old 09-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

well i read this thread and cann't help but posting this link to my buddies 1/8 8ight. hope this helps.

Ron

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ggy-stuff.html
Old 09-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJ919
Need some experienced Nitro runners/racers opinions. I've been out of RC "racing" for a while now. Looking to start racing again on a consistent basis in the up coming year. In the past I've raced/ran: Offroad 10th 2wd Trucks, Oval Carpet, On-road Tour, Carpet tour, and Drifting. All electric platforms...
Coming back into RC Racing I want to invest in consistent classes that have big participating numbers. In other words when I go out to the track on the weekend, I'm confident that the class I race in will always have a good number of participants & competitors.
For the off-road Nitro, Its 8th scale Buggy & Truggy that I'm looking at. I'm already looking @ a few kits, but I want the opinions of the experienced. I've never ran Nitro, or 8th scale before, so this will be a brand new experience for me. I do learn FAST though Are the Buggy Platforms better for a newbie, or is it the Truggy rides that are more stable?...Does it matter?
I'm looking to spend within the 500 buck or lower range. Looking for opinons on solid platforms that will be the best bang for my bucks. Tech support, upgrading ease, Good instruction manuals, and balanced racing performance is what I look for most. RTRs that run solid out of the box, but have great racing upgrade parts are in high consideration as well.
All opinions are valued & Appreciated!
I have this for sale on our local site. All you need is a fuel bottle and a charger for the batteries in the starter box.
If you want more info let me know this deal will put you in the pro class fast.
Tip top new shape and Ready to Race. Seriously the deal of the year right here. I want to keep it local but its been up for a week or 2.
http://www.heartlandrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4112
Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Davidka
A point about the buggy/truggy thing; Truggies are more stable than buggies but if you're used to electric a 1/8 buggy will feel like a big, heavy truck. They are very stable and easy to drive. A truggy is easier but usually more expensive to maintain. Because they are larger and heavier but don't have parts engineered specifically for them, everything wears faster (CVD's, bearings, gears, suspension parts, clutches) and tires are much more expensive too.

If you're experienced I'd recommend a 1/8 buggy. You can get the Losi RTR for a reasonable cost, it has a good DSM radio and the chassis is proven competitive.

That's my $.02

Thats so untrue.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are an experienced r/c racer like you mentioned in the threads above.
Go for the best; Mugen,Kyosho,X-ray and Losi. As far as engines are
concerned get a Nova Rossi,RB or OS. They cost more,but you will save a ton
in money and headaches in the long-run. 1/8th scale buggies are the hottest class right now. Hope this helps.
P/S get as much help as you can by someone who knows what he's
doing when you break-in and tune your nitro engine.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Tech Master

Okay, I've done research on just about ever kit in bug and trug version that's been mentioned on this thread. From the factory sites to Youtube videos...Intense research and observation...Every option you guys here have mention has its strong points with very little weak points. The some of th weaker points seem to pleague just about every nitro rc going kit or RTR..well, some more than others...so THANKS A LOT FOR FN CONFUSING ME EVEN MORE GUYS!!!...NOW I don't know which freakin kit to pick!!......JUST kidding fellas...Wow, I wish we all ran on the same track. I would be confident to pick up just about any 8th scale because if I ran into trouble, I'd know I'd be around individuals that da*mn sure know the world of competitive 8th scale.
I'm down to the final 3 in which I'm going to choose from to "start" me out in 8th scale. I know I'll get hooked like a 8th scale crack-head and buy nothing but 8th scale after this. Well, I gotta have a slash, and keep up with my 10th scale onroad as well. But 8th will dominate my schedule because of its popularity and racing participation.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Which are the 'final 3' that you're down to?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

go to your local track, where you will be racing frequently. find out what cars are supported (parts) and what car the fast guys run. buy that one. I can honestly say that the best thing when getting started, is help. And most fast guys will be more than willing, and its that much easier if you have the same car as them.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I would agree that you should start with truggy. I would also advise you to buy a RTR than you can upgrade to the pro version. Kyosho, Jammin, Losi, or Hyper St from Ofna. While the RTR are clearly inferior to the Kits, you can slowly drop in the better parts. Start with Servo's, then engine/Starter box, then chassis, etc. etc. Over time you can convert it into the same thing you will get from the kit, but in the meantime while you are saving your money for the upgrades, you can be practicing. You can do the same thing with buggies, but they are harder to handle, and you will be better, and faster leaning with a truggy
Not trying to start anything here but every single word of your post is contradictory to what everyone else is telling this guy. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

My advice STAY AWAY FROM RTR! Since you have some rc experience you might be okay. However I know first hand how quickly a RTR can make the price of a kit look CHEAP! I like to wrench alot but not because I HAVE too. Without driving one I would say The Hotbodies D8 is a sweet deal to get into racing. Build it, Know it. Jammin and RB are good starter engines for a good price. Have someone that has broke in before help you. Just dont spend alot on your first motor so it doesn't hurt so bad when you waste it. Gotta learn somewhere. Get a good set of tires too. The same guy that helps you break in your mill will be a ble to tell you what the hot tire is at your track.

Maybe just get the D8 and convert it to electric? You would be 1 up then!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slaytanic
Not trying to start anything here but every single word of your post is contradictory to what everyone else is telling this guy. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

My advice STAY AWAY FROM RTR! Since you have some rc experience you might be okay. However I know first hand how quickly a RTR can make the price of a kit look CHEAP! I like to wrench alot but not because I HAVE too. Without driving one I would say The Hotbodies D8 is a sweet deal to get into racing. Build it, Know it. Jammin and RB are good starter engines for a good price. Have someone that has broke in before help you. Just dont spend alot on your first motor so it doesn't hurt so bad when you waste it. Gotta learn somewhere. Get a good set of tires too. The same guy that helps you break in your mill will be a ble to tell you what the hot tire is at your track.

Maybe just get the D8 and convert it to electric? You would be 1 up then!
I don"t take offense easily. I seem to be the only one who paid attention to the fact that he said he does not want a kit! That's why I advised a RTR that can be upgraded to kit form. There are some RTR's that come only as a RTR, and cannot be converted back to kit form. I also understand that maybe he can't drop $800-$1000 right now, but he needs to start somewhere, so a $500 RTR, and then another $200 every couple of months works out just fine for some people. I did it for the first 6 years in the hobby, as I had no confidence in my building abilities, but as I learned, I improved my driving, and my wrenching, and now I fear no Kits!, lol, you guys need to understand that people can't always start with what they should, there are many other factors, and many times its just cash.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I don"t take offense easily. I seem to be the only one who paid attention to the fact that he said he does not want a kit! That's why I advised a RTR that can be upgraded to kit form. There are some RTR's that come only as a RTR, and cannot be converted back to kit form. I also understand that maybe he can't drop $800-$1000 right now, but he needs to start somewhere, so a $500 RTR, and then another $200 every couple of months works out just fine for some people. I did it for the first 6 years in the hobby, as I had no confidence in my building abilities, but as I learned, I improved my driving, and my wrenching, and now I fear no Kits!, lol, you guys need to understand that people can't always start with what they should, there are many other factors, and many times its just cash.
+1

well said
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Now that I re-read his original post, he did not specifically say he did not want a kit, he just mentioned that he didn't want to spend more than $500. so maybe I'll just shut up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.