Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric? >

Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric?

I don't understand why anyone would go to electric after running nitro. The batteries last like 15 laps MAX and with nitro you just fuel and go. I don't get it.

If anyone could help me understand I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eighty2
I don't understand why anyone would go to electric after running nitro. The batteries last like 15 laps MAX and with nitro you just fuel and go. I don't get it.

If anyone could help me understand I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
15 laps max? You must be talking about electric 1/8th right? Many brushless/lipo equipped 1/10 scale buggies and trucks can go 30 minutes plus. The reason for switching is easy if you are talking about 1/10 scale, it is more challenging(2wd mainly), way less maintenence, tires are affordable, the tracks that only run 1/10th stay in great shape for a lot longer, there are no harsh fumes to inhale "all day", "all day" is a lot shorter at an electric race which is good for busy people, electric is typically more even due to class specific motor restrictions, not like in nitro where a guy can get an edge by buying some crazy expensive modded motor that his competition might not be able to afford, electric cars are cleaner, with lipo batteries and brushless motors electric operation is way easier than it used to be, basically electric is all about driving, nitro is fun, but electric is way more relaxing and enjoyable to race to many of us.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Electric - cleaner, quieter, faster, don't need to keep buying fuel
Nitro - Dirtier, louder, slower, don't need to buy expensive batteries

I switched over to only nitro, hated dealing with electric. Nitro, for me, is just funner, and like you said, just fuel and go, no need to wait for a battery to charge.

Plus I like stuff that is loud and obnoxious.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok. I was just curious as to what the buzz was. To me, nothing beats the smell of burning nitro.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eighty2
I don't understand why anyone would go to electric after running nitro.
most people don't want to deal with the mess or the tuning, i would only buy electric to be able to play in the bad weather and to keep the neighbour's happy other than that nitro all the way
Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Theres just nothing better than the sound as it screams by, plus it keeps some of the realism.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I had both electric and nitro 8th scale at one point.. I sold my electric not because i didnt have fun but to me nitro racing feels more like a motor sport. Having a pit man and pitting strategy makes nitro racing the most fun IMO..
Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I switched fully to electric and love it! And every "NITRO" guy I let drive my 8ight-E ends up with a huge grin after and talks about "going electric". It is expensive initially, but the rewards are great. Not dealing with flame outs, fuel, starter boxes, glow ignitors, and other nitro related stuff is great. Now I just show up at the track, connect my battery and go. I can easily run a 20 minute main w/o a battery swap. My car is as fast as any nitro on the track, and it could be faster if I ran much smaller capacity packs. The qualifiers are only 5 minutes I could easily run a battery with 1/3 of the weight I currently run. Nitro is cool, but there are too many benefits to electric not to run it.

A $300 nitro engine will easily burn $200-$250 of fuel through it's life, that cost factor easily buys an ESC/MOTOR combo and 1-2 batteries.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Electric-less noise, less chaos, less fumes.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

both electric and nitro are cool my opinion
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gkn0315
both electric and nitro are cool my opinion
+1
Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Legend

Nitro is still faster than Electric , sorry......

and

look who is buying the E1/8th`s . Most cannot be competitive with a Nitro, they never will make the A in Gas 1/8th .

But if they race a E1/8th ?

Easy to make the main because of so few to compete against....

O sure , the E1/8 clan claim`s it is all because Nitro is so difficult, noisy & smoke, but I know the real reason ....
Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIG RE
1electric cars are cleaner, with lipo batteries and brushless motors electric operation is way easier than it used to be, basically electric is all about driving, nitro is fun, but electric is way more relaxing and enjoyable to race to many of us.
This is what i don't like about electric.. I like Nitro because of all the different elements to challenge myself. Tuning, pitting, wrenching, ect... In nitro the fastest guy doesn't always win..(everything has to be on point) Plus nitro is just overall bad ass.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Electric is faster than nitro sorry

Top speed is same, Electric accelerates faster.

Went to my first electric truggy race last weekend and my lap times were at the same level as with nitro and I had ESC that does not brake well. With better brakes on my new ESC I can be at least 2 seconds faster per 30second lap.

I converted my truggy to Electric as running two nitro cars during one weekend is just crazy with all the maintenance with races every weekend.

I like long mains with my nitro buggy, i like messing with engine, clutch, using fuel guns, being all dirty a greased so i wont quit and go electric only, but for lot of people electric is cleaner, easier to setup and maintain. And with currect LiPos you can easily have 10+minute runs. I can do 15mins no problem.
batteries are getting better and better and soon 15min mains will become standard and honestly 30+min main are crazy

Sure right now there is more competition in nitro but electric will get bigger and bigger.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Initiate

I was just wondering, I wasn't trying to start any fights, guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.