Search

Need tire suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Need tire suggestions!

Hey Guys,

I need a tire that works well on a very dry, dusty, and very slippery track. What would you guys suggest for me to try? Probably something that would oversteer, I'm getting a lot of push (understeer) both on and off throttle.
Thanks in Advance
Brian
Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

buggy or truggy?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Truggy Sig says MBX-6T
Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Honestly, in very dry, loose conditions as you described, tires are probably not the biggest issue. No tire is going to magically give you grip when there is no grip to be had. Depending on wear, you want to run the softest tire you can get away with. Thread pattern that would probably best would be a Cityblock, caliper or digit type thread.

But the biggest thing, is slow down. Slow is fast, buzzing the tires and sliding into and out of the corners is nothing but a waste of time and equipment. Keep the truck straight and square on the track and drive smooth on the throttle and braking, I guarentee that will be faster and more consistent.

Outside of driving and tires. drop your center diff fluid 2-3K maybe more depending on what you have now. soften up the clutch springs and possible even consider carbon shoes instead of Alum.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny B
Honestly, in very dry, loose conditions as you described, tires are probably not the biggest issue. No tire is going to magically give you grip when there is no grip to be had. Depending on wear, you want to run the softest tire you can get away with. Thread pattern that would probably best would be a Cityblock, caliper or digit type thread.

But the biggest thing, is slow down. Slow is fast, buzzing the tires and sliding into and out of the corners is nothing but a waste of time and equipment. Keep the truck straight and square on the track and drive smooth on the throttle and braking, I guarentee that will be faster and more consistent.

Outside of driving and tires. drop your center diff fluid 2-3K maybe more depending on what you have now. soften up the clutch springs and possible even consider carbon shoes instead of Alum.
Nailed it... Coming up to a corner and riding the pipe is much faster then throwing it and drifting. Not only is that killing the tires and putting stress on the car and clutches/engine but its slowing u down. Thats why drifting is a whole diffrent motor sport then rally cross. Odds are your not getting push ur just coming up to the corner to fast and not slowing down and using braks. For tires try a stacked pattern like Danny said. Caliber, Suburbs, City-Block, etc. If you stay in groove where its not loose then i would say Impakts, Gridiron, etc.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

I totally understand what you guys are saying and I agree. I guess I should have said what is the tire best for traction in slippery powder?

I just need a point in the right direction, I don't want to spend $75 on a set of tires that will do me no good!

I just want to get some suggestions, so I can buy a set and try, without wasting my money.
I've been looking at I-Beams and Bowties, but there must be other choices. And why do manufactures have different compound rating codes!
What's wrong with soft med and hard? And why aren't all the buggy tread patterns available for truggy? I did hear something about ROAR is going to make some decision soon affecting this.
Anyway, sorry for my rant!
Cheers
Brian
Old 08-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny B
Honestly, in very dry, loose conditions as you described, tires are probably not the biggest issue. No tire is going to magically give you grip when there is no grip to be had. Depending on wear, you want to run the softest tire you can get away with. Thread pattern that would probably best would be a AKA Cityblock, Proline caliper or Losi digit type thread.
also, if you are pushing, having a small pin tire above up front and something with more forward bite like a Ibeam or bowtie in the rear get the truck to rotate.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by R/C Lidz
also, if you are pushing, having a small pin tire above up front and something with more forward bite like a Ibeam or bowtie in the rear get the truck to rotate.
Yeah, I saw someone selling on Ebay saying he ran city blocks up front and I-beams in the rear. I thought I would try something like that.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

if temps arent to high go super softs to try and get the treads to stick to the track. Like stated a Multi pin tire is going to be key.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rider313
if temps arent to high go super softs to try and get the treads to stick to the track. Like stated a Multi pin tire is going to be key.
The track is sooooo dusty, it's like driving on an inch of flour! I thought if I could get the best tire for that and then learn to drive those when the track is still moist and tacky.

Anyone heard of spraying sugar water on the track? I hear it turns to rock candy eventually and the need for water is drastically reduced, but wears out tires faster.
Cheers
Brian
Old 08-19-2011, 05:00 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hard pack with a layer of loose dirt/dust - M3 Caliber.

If the track is loose all the way down or the dirt/dust
layer is really thick then I-beams in supersoft.

I would avoid the City-Beam combo unless the track has
some hardpack under the loose layer.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumy
I totally understand what you guys are saying and I agree. I guess I should have said what is the tire best for traction in slippery powder?

I just need a point in the right direction, I don't want to spend $75 on a set of tires that will do me no good!

I just want to get some suggestions, so I can buy a set and try, without wasting my money.
I've been looking at I-Beams and Bowties, but there must be other choices. And why do manufactures have different compound rating codes!
What's wrong with soft med and hard? And why aren't all the buggy tread patterns available for truggy? I did hear something about ROAR is going to make some decision soon affecting this.
Anyway, sorry for my rant!
Cheers
Brian
Well all my local tracks are pretty much all Dry,dusty etc.. Our best tire to go are I-beams and Bowties,get a set of I-beams in soft I'm still on my first set. and They'll last much longer than Cityblocks Calibers etc.

Now for ur question why there are not as many tires for truggys than buggies is because not every tire that works with buggy works as good for truggy

Hope I helped

Brian
Old 08-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Ibeams, Caliber, Crimefighter, Losi Digits, JC CrossHairs work good on loomy condition

I run Caliber and Ibeams
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Prophet

on dry and dusty dirt ive had good results with "soft I-Beams" on truggy and the jconcepts crosshairs soft work decent on dry dusty dirt but work better in the loamy condictions than the I-Beams if you ask me.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Tech Regular

Loose dust an inch thick? You need a tire with bigger lugs to dig in the dust deeper:

AKA I-beams, JC crosshairs, PL crimefighter, PL bow tie, VTEC Kamikaze, etc.
Use soft compound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.