Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Truggy questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Default Truggy questions

Really been thinkin of building a truggy, but ive never bought a kit and don't know what all it comes with. If i were to buy, say the D8T, what engines fit what? Are all the buggy/truggy engines and pipes pretty much universal? what size engines do you guys run in truggys? would a .21 be to small? does each truck come with a clutch assembly or would i need to buy that seperate? do all truggy/buggy wheels fit all trucks? i know these are dumb questions, but i want to know what i need if were to buy one
Old 11-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

When you simply do not know the answer, no question is a dumb question...Most kits you will find, will come with all necessary part to build a complete chassis. This for the most part consists of a chassis, all drive-train parts, all your suspension parts, an engine mount, a clutch, and a body. Other than that, most manufacturer (unless otherwise noted) leave all items required to then get the kit from the workbench to the track up to buyer's choice. This usually consists of wheels and tires, buggy wheels will fit a truggy, but that's it they fit... You can not race a truggy with buggy wheels and I can assure you you will not like the way the truck performs. Truggies now a days are pretty much all standard offset as far as wheels go, but there are also 1/2'' offset wheels that some of the older trucks use. Also electronics (radio, servos, and batteries), Engine (.21 is most popular for buggy/truggy) and pipe.

Last edited by trimble; 11-17-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FormulaOfSpeed
Really been thinkin of building a truggy, but ive never bought a kit and don't know what all it comes with. If i were to buy, say the D8T, what engines fit what? Are all the buggy/truggy engines and pipes pretty much universal? what size engines do you guys run in truggys? would a .21 be to small? does each truck come with a clutch assembly or would i need to buy that seperate? do all truggy/buggy wheels fit all trucks? i know these are dumb questions, but i want to know what i need if were to buy one
Modern kits pretty much come with everything you will need except radio gear, engine-pipe combo and fuel and depending on the kit, some come with wheels and tires and some don't.

Any .19-.28 big block engine will fit. Yes you can run a .28 engine but the only thing that's different from any decent .21 engine is crappy fuel mileage. A good engine for a beginner is the Werks B5 ($200 Dollars) with the (I THINK) Werks 2035 pipe and 30% fuel.

Yes trucks and buggy's come with a clutch assembly.

All modern trucks use zero offset wheels, buggy wheels will fit but are not suitable due to the trucks lower gearing and the weight of a truck compared to a buggy.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Champion

You need a .21 engine and pipe, but can run a .25 or .28 if you want. Nowadays though, 21's have more than enough power, and much better fuel economy.

You need truggy tires - look them up on amain or Tower or ebay..

A Werks B5 with 2013 is probably a good place to start looking for a good truggy engine and pipe combo. There are tons of good, affodable 21's out at the moment though. Alpha, Argus, Werks, Go, OS, Precirotate, Picco, Novarossi, RB, etc.. I have an Argus A52 and it was dirt cheap and so far runs great and has tons of power.. (with the 0801 pipe..)

For a D8T, I would look at the Werks or Argus engine to get started, and maybe 2x Savox 1258 servos, and a set of AKA City Block or Grid Iron wheels/tires for gettign started(depends on your track though..)
Old 11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Most kits include a full clutch assembly (flywheel, shoes and springs, clutch bell and pinion gear). I know that the D8T kit does, at least according to the manual. I actually have that kit on order for myself. As for engines/pipes, truggies will fit .21 to .28 size engines (maybe even bigger). However if you are racing, most will say that a .28 is overkill and just too much of a pig on fuel. Go for a .21 engine/pipe combo that is aimed at low-end power. I'm personally going for a Werks B5 with 2013 pipe. As for tire sizes, it depends on the kit but pretty much most 1/8 truggy tires/rims will fit most truggies. Don't get buggy tires for your truggy . Just make sure they are the correct offset. I believe most kits now run 0 offset instead of 1/2 offset. Good luck with your future kit! I am lookin forward to mine. I've had several people on the forums tell me that the Hot Bodies D8T is an excellent truggy kit for those building for the first time.

Edit: Wow, a lot of people beat me to the punch while I was typing my response.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FormulaOfSpeed
hello,

dont worry about asking, we are more than happy to help

- yes almost all new designed buggy/truggy engines are universal
- any race engine will fit any buggy/ truggy without issues
- .21 is what most people use for racing, some use .28 but its not faster than a .21 and not easier to drive neither, a good powerfull .21 is all you need to fly a truggy
- all Kits usually come with the clutch included, you dont have to worry about buying it seperatly
- yes all truggy/buggy wheels are the same, they all use the 17mm mounting hub. many companies to choose from, AKA, Proline, Jconcept, VP-Pro...etc etc etc.

hope this helps you a bit

cheers

ALi
Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

WooW when i started writing my answers, non have posted yet, when i submitted my answers, my post is 5th man we like to help
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
WooW when i started writing my answers, non have posted yet, when i submitted my answers, my post is 5th man we like to help
+1 typed my response no replies, read over it then edited it and wow 6 lol
Old 11-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for the quick responses! funny alot recommended werks, i was just browsing the engines on amain and the B6 caught my eye. sounds like a build would pretty straight forward, since everything is universal. not sure what i would get tho, im likin the mbx too
Old 11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Just a headsup, the B6 is more aimed at a buggy, with it's smoother power and and focus on mid to high range power. Having said that, there are people that have reported good results with their truggies using a B6 and the 2013 pipe.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

all new truggyz are good and very compatitive, Kyosho, Losi, Mugen, HB, Serpent...etc etc

check your local track, see what the fast guys are running, to get set-up help and whats supported by your LHS. to get parts.

a B6 is a wonderfull engine, coupled with a 2013 pipe,

a nova P5XLT is also amazing coupled with a 2084 pipe.

2 savox servos, 1256 for both steering and throttle. life Rx pack

check what tires the fast guys are running and buy yourself a set and go have tons of fun
Old 11-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

ive never even been to a track,lol. there some in the 2-4 hour range from me, but none close.im just a basher,lol. so i gotta base all my purchases on online information,haha. closest hobbyshop is about an hour and half, buts its small and only carries traxxas stuff. so if i need a truck or part of another brand, he has to order it, and i might as well just order it myself and have it shipped to my house.

but i ride mx at a track about 20 min. from me,has the main track, kiddie track, open areas and trails,etc. and its loads of fun with an r/c. as long as theres not alot of guys to run them over,lol
Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1 on everything that everyone has said