Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
My, my... How things have changed... (back into r/c after a 5 year hiatus) >

My, my... How things have changed... (back into r/c after a 5 year hiatus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My, my... How things have changed... (back into r/c after a 5 year hiatus)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mutilatorman
There are plenty of parts for the hyper around and its an awesome basher/racer. A friend of mine still races a 7 and has smoked many more modern cars. The 7 is 300, the losi is over 600. You could buy 2 hypers for the cost of 1 losi. Ofnas offerings are always underrated on forums but the people that go against the grain and use them have nothing but good to say.
The losi also comes with a spektrum 2.4 radio, a starter box, and a reliable race legal .21 engine. Those alone account for the price difference. It's also a much newer chassis platform.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

True, but if he is just a basher what does it matter? For a bashing the hyper is a way better deal. You don't need a spektrum for bashing or a race legal engine.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Scott51
Check out the Hot Bodies D8 kit if you want a buggy that is tough drives very well and can find them at just over $300.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to check 'em out. As I recall, HB didn't have the greatest reputation when I was still in things, which explains why I didn't even bother to look.

Originally Posted by dandrat
I would spend alittle more and go with the ofna 8.5x rtr. its alot more modern then the 7 and only costs alittle more (Ive seen it for around $350).for what you seem to have in mind both ofna rtr's would be fine.
Also a good suggestion--will have to weigh that against the D8. Seems like they made some nice changes between the Hyper 7 and the 8.5...

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
The losi also comes with a spektrum 2.4 radio, a starter box, and a reliable race legal .21 engine. Those alone account for the price difference. It's also a much newer chassis platform.
The radio is an overpriced package of gadgets that I don't need and certainly would never buy (something like the Futaba 2PL FM or 3PM is about as fancy as I'd ever go), a starter box is great for racing at a track but I loathe them when bashing in remote locations (just one more thing to lug around every time I need to start the car... pull starters work just dandy and don't need batteries--just food ), and having a race legal engine is irrelevant since I'm not going to be picking up racing again. I'm not saying the 8ight is a bad platform or anything, the price simply isn't a justifiable one in my eyes.

Originally Posted by mutilatorman
True, but if he is just a basher what does it matter? For a bashing the hyper is a way better deal. You don't need a spektrum for bashing or a race legal engine.
Bingo

I have to drive back up to San Jose today to take care of some business stuff this week, but I'll take a look at that D8 kit, the CEN, and the 8.5. Thanks for the suggestions and let me know if you have any others
Old 07-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Petra
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to check 'em out. As I recall, HB didn't have the greatest reputation when I was still in things, which explains why I didn't even bother to look.

Also a good suggestion--will have to weigh that against the D8. Seems like they made some nice changes between the Hyper 7 and the 8.5...

The radio is an overpriced package of gadgets that I don't need and certainly would never buy (something like the Futaba 2PL FM or 3PM is about as fancy as I'd ever go), a starter box is great for racing at a track but I loathe them when bashing in remote locations (just one more thing to lug around every time I need to start the car... pull starters work just dandy and don't need batteries--just food ), and having a race legal engine is irrelevant since I'm not going to be picking up racing again. I'm not saying the 8ight is a bad platform or anything, the price simply isn't a justifiable one in my eyes.

Bingo

I have to drive back up to San Jose today to take care of some business stuff this week, but I'll take a look at that D8 kit, the CEN, and the 8.5. Thanks for the suggestions and let me know if you have any others
nice to see the losi army couldnt stop you from making up your own mind.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Initiate

good luck with the pull start and the am radio
Old 07-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

im not sure the d8 is the best choice for bashing
Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Domo3
+1

That'll be fun!
Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just go brushless.

Less maintenance, longer run time, more torque, more speed.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Haha a pullstart isnt to bad if you have your motor tuned right(not my preference tho).

And for the AM radio, no one runs them anymore so he wont have any frequency problems. lol. AM or FM isnt to bad for what he wants. Just because a $300 radio has 30 more features (that no1 uses anyways) than a AM or FM radio doesnt make it a whole lot better!! But I sure like my m8..

I would say go with the 8.5 or d8. Very good vehicles for what you want.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1/10th is mostly dead now, yeah, but the reason it is dead is because 1/8th scale is so much more fun! Way more speed, easier to drive, ten times as strong and just a lot more exciting. 1/8th scale is probably at a minimum twice the cost of 1/10th scale, but you really are getting twice the car.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Domo3
The AM transmitter is an easy fix--I'll just swap electronics from the T3. The pull start, on the other hand, is a preference of mine.

Originally Posted by EvilDylan
Just go brushless.

Less maintenance, longer run time, more torque, more speed.
...and batteries! Oh joy! My biggest gripe with electrics (and I've had a few) has always been with batteries and them not being charged when I want them to be. You can pull a well maintained nitro off a shelf, swap the tx and rx pack out for some AA's in a pinch, take it out side and run it. Keep a spare glow starter around that takes a regular C or D cell (in addition to the usual sub-C rechargeable) and you're set. As for run time, you can run a nitro until you run out of fuel (gotta keep at least a gallon around) or until you break something. I am sorry, I've learned to hate charging batteries over the years. Besides, maintenance is one of the fun parts!

Originally Posted by freestylinmotox
Haha a pullstart isnt to bad if you have your motor tuned right(not my preference tho).

And for the AM radio, no one runs them anymore so he wont have any frequency problems. lol. AM or FM isnt to bad for what he wants. Just because a $300 radio has 30 more features (that no1 uses anyways) than a AM or FM radio doesnt make it a whole lot better!!
Exactly
Old 07-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Petra
The AM transmitter is an easy fix--I'll just swap electronics from the T3. The pull start, on the other hand, is a preference of mine.

...and batteries! Oh joy! My biggest gripe with electrics (and I've had a few) has always been with batteries and them not being charged when I want them to be. You can pull a well maintained nitro off a shelf, swap the tx and rx pack out for some AA's in a pinch, take it out side and run it. Keep a spare glow starter around that takes a regular C or D cell (in addition to the usual sub-C rechargeable) and you're set. As for run time, you can run a nitro until you run out of fuel (gotta keep at least a gallon around) or until you break something. I am sorry, I've learned to hate charging batteries over the years. Besides, maintenance is one of the fun parts!

Exactly
You will probably find the pullstart on a .21 or larger engine to be less reliable than you are used to on the smaller mills. They are very prone to failure... although I DO understand what you are saying about lugging a starter box around, I think you will find they are almost mandatory on the larger engines.

As for the rest of the stuff on the RTRs, well... sounds like you have electronics you are happy with... (you will probably find that the servos you used on the 1/10 scale are not up to the task of a bigger, heavier 1/8 scale, but if you like your current radio there is no reason to change that.) Since you don't care about being race legal, engine size doesn't matter... but I think the NEWER Hyper RTRs have a legal engine anyway.

The Hyper 7 would NOT be a competitive car for racing against the newer cars, but it is a solid platform, very durable and well made. The Hyper 8/8.5 is closer to being competitive, and in the hands of the right driver is capable of pretty good performance.

However, all of that being said... you might want to look at truggies instead. They're capable of dealing with rougher terrain than buggies, and are a lot of fun to drive. Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DOMIT
You will probably find the pullstart on a .21 or larger engine to be less reliable than you are used to on the smaller mills. They are very prone to failure... although I DO understand what you are saying about lugging a starter box around, I think you will find they are almost mandatory on the larger engines.

As for the rest of the stuff on the RTRs, well... sounds like you have electronics you are happy with... (you will probably find that the servos you used on the 1/10 scale are not up to the task of a bigger, heavier 1/8 scale, but if you like your current radio there is no reason to change that.) Since you don't care about being race legal, engine size doesn't matter... but I think the NEWER Hyper RTRs have a legal engine anyway.

The Hyper 7 would NOT be a competitive car for racing against the newer cars, but it is a solid platform, very durable and well made. The Hyper 8/8.5 is closer to being competitive, and in the hands of the right driver is capable of pretty good performance.

However, all of that being said... you might want to look at truggies instead. They're capable of dealing with rougher terrain than buggies, and are a lot of fun to drive. Just a thought.
+1 !!

Thats what am saying about the pull start...They are not the same as 1/10 pullstarts .....much harder to pull because of the more compression. The also break easier because of this.

Ya I agree with the truggy thing also. Truggy seems (don't have one...YET) to be the best vehicle for bashing yes better than an MT haha ...MT guys dont kill me