Wiki Posts
Search

FM or 2.4 GHz?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
This is only with the FAAST system and not all 2.4. The receiver gets hot and shuts down the IC circuit for thermal protection, when it cools back down you regain signal. Futaba is working on the problem as we speak, but if you race where it in the 90-100F range, run crystals until getting the updated receiver. It wil save you parts and headaches and DNF's.

One thingt o note is it seems like a bigger problem in the K car and RC8, as the receiver is closer to the motor. Drill holes all over the rx box and take all the foam padding out and you might get by.

Interesting.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vw addict
I know it's probably been highly debated, but here goes. I just installed high torque, metal geared servos into my OFNA buggy last night and saw an immediate improvement. Now I'm looking to upgrade the radio from the RTR AM piece of crap. Was looking at the 3PM's. My local hobby shop only has the 2.4 for $199. Question is do I really need to fork out the extra $$$$$ for a 2.4 system? I realize it is much nicer, they also have a "used"(still brand new in the foam) Spektrum system for $150, just the receiver and transmitter. What do you guys think?
Nomadio React, best value for money, light weight, same advance features as 3PK, M11, ect and faster transit times then all radios, plus extra features and super easy to navigate and use + Excellent customer service. What more could one ask for???????????????????????????????????????????
Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
This is only with the FAAST system and not all 2.4. The receiver gets hot and shuts down the IC circuit for thermal protection, when it cools back down you regain signal. Futaba is working on the problem as we speak, but if you race where it in the 90-100F range, run crystals until getting the updated receiver. It wil save you parts and headaches and DNF's.

One thingt o note is it seems like a bigger problem in the K car and RC8, as the receiver is closer to the motor. Drill holes all over the rx box and take all the foam padding out and you might get by.
Also in the BOB, errrr... 8ight 0h 8ight... errrr... you know what I mean. Saw THAT one happen in person. Twice, in one race.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Adept

2.4 GHZ
Old 06-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldschoolracer
Then I guess it comes down to whether or not you want to spend the money again.
It's always been my experience that if you spend good money the right way he first time, best you can get, then you don't end up spending more money later to address something you could have done right the first time.

Buying used, or going the cheap route, always stands the risk of dealing with OPP (other people's problems).
This is good advice right here and its in any thing you buy. I cant count how many times I have said thats what I get for buying the cheap stuff. You always pay in the long run. In RC the wait is worth the value.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
hrmmm...heat issues....never even heard about that....more details please ?
Apparently there is a widespread issue with the FS series FASST receivers going into failsafe from thermal overload. Futaba has yet to say if it's a legit issue with their product, but they keep pushing the release of the 4PK back with no explanation. The fact remains however that at 165 deg F, the FS receiver goes into failsafe mode. It's bad enough that many 3PK owners are scrambling for FM, synth, or Spek modules and receivers so they can complete a race without shutting down.

So far the problem appears to be confined to FS series receivers which are used with the 3PK FASST transmitter modules (The FS is also the receiver slated to be included with the 4PK), as there have been no reports of problems with the FF series receivers which come as standard equipment with the 3PM FASST transmitters.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

We were racing the Novarossi Usa memorial race here in Cali and Travis Amezcua was running. He was a lap ahead of his teammate Jesse Robers when going over a jump, the FASST system went down. Motor reved up out of control (GRP) and the stupid turn marshall held it inthe air at full pin. Got the motor started back up and on the very first jump, same thing happened. Fasst system overheated.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by fhm555
Apparently there is a widespread issue with the FS series FASST receivers going into failsafe from thermal overload. Futaba has yet to say if it's a legit issue with their product, but they keep pushing the release of the 4PK back with no explanation. The fact remains however that at 165 deg F, the FS receiver goes into failsafe mode. It's bad enough that many 3PK owners are scrambling for FM, synth, or Spek modules and receivers so they can complete a race without shutting down.

So far the problem appears to be confined to FS series receivers which are used with the 3PK FASST transmitter modules (The FS is also the receiver slated to be included with the 4PK), as there have been no reports of problems with the FF series receivers which come as standard equipment with the 3PM FASST transmitters.
I personally have purchased 4 FASST receivers this race season and all have thermalled when running causing a loss of signal . I finally switched to a spektrum module and receiver and haven't had an issue since, needless to say the remaining FASST system will be returned to Futaba for repair or refund.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Well much to my dismay I just spoke to a tech at Futaba and he told me there currently is no fix for it and Futaba Japan is working on it. I asked if they were offering refunds and he said no He stated it was an isolated problem giving me the example that out of 15 receivers only 2-3 are having heat related issues, the problem is how many thousands of receivers have been sold. I really hope they come up with a solution and warranty these units or they will really create a bad reputation for themselves.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blu_dude
Although I do notice a lot of people still using FM based radios at the track. Is there a reason why team racers like tebo, truhe, drake, etc. etc. still use non digital radio systems?

Possibly because FM is faster response. I mean if 2.4 was a true performance advantage, everyone would run it. Can anyone that actually has some facts on this comment? I know what ads say........
Old 06-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i switched to fasst after having sooooo many problems with spektrum.. i will never own another spek product..
Old 06-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamminnay
i switched to fasst after having sooooo many problems with spektrum.. i will never own another spek product..
What was the problem with your Spektrum?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

glitching, burning up receivers.. u name it i had it.. this was all over the course of a few years of course.. i had another burn up in my b4 this winter and decided not to chance it again in nitro
Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fhm555
So far the problem appears to be confined to FS series receivers which are used with the 3PK FASST transmitter modules as there have been no reports of problems with the FF series receivers which come as standard equipment with the 3PM FASST transmitters.

fhm555,

Are you sure about that? That's very interesting and could be an easy and fairly inexpensive fix for those of us using Fasst.
I've heard the FF receivers work as well, even though they have only one antenna verus the FS's two.