Wiki Posts
Search

OS VZ .21 motor question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default OS VZ .21 motor question

Hello, I have a question concerning a Vz motor that I purchase. The guy I bought it from had a local motor guy hog out the sleeve. He ported it and ground grooves along side of sleeve. The motor runs STRONG... BUT... To make it run good on top end you have to lean it out to get it to clear out. Then it runs around the 300 deg range. If you richen it out to make it run cooler it wont clear out on top end. I run the A5 Os plug that Os recommends. Would a hotter plug work better with this engine? You also have to really lean out the low needle to make to come off the corners. Please HELP!! Thanks and have a great day... Patrick
Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

you talking about the vzb vspec? if so you need a P3 turbo plug the a5 is the wrong plug
Old 09-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

No, its the older verson .21 VZb non turbo. Not the vspec. I have the owners manual and it says to use the A5 med range plug.. Thanks
Old 09-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is it burning up plugs when you run it lean? I had a motor do this and I added another ship to the head button and no problems since.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Nope, plugs are doing fine. It only has one copper head gasket on it, Would putting another help? Like I said it runs great when you lean it out a bit, still has descent smoke from exhaust but starts getting warm. Dont know how warm it will get because I shut it down before it gets to hot. Would like to get it running in top shape with nice temp so I can find it a new home. Not a OS fan. Course this OS motor may feel the same about me. I would rather have the Axial .28 motor instead. Hope someone can help or I will have to sell it as a parts motor that runs good. Yea sounds weird to me too.. Everyone have a wonderful weekend... Patrick
Old 09-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'd check it over for air leaks if it was mine.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slufoot78
Not a OS fan. Course this OS motor may feel the same about me. I would rather have the Axial .28 motor instead.
First mistake was buying an engine that was used. IMO I would not buy a used engine from someone who I don't personally know that knew how to care for an engine. Ive bought 2 used engines and both were gems, but they came from guys that knew how to tune and care for an engine. O.S. engines are great engines as long as the user knows how to run it. Ive just switched to them from nova based engines. Ive only run the small block OS engines, but have seen many big block engines by OS run great and get good mileage. I just invested in a V-Spec, and a .28XZ and will upgrade my CV-R in my GT for the newer style OS .12's when I go to the GT2.

BTW hows the pinch on the engine?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If it runs well at 300f (idles ok, good response and smoke) then I bet your temp gun is not accurate. Most engines won't run well that hot, not for long anyway. I bet you have an aluminum shim on the head too, it is probably stuck to the head. If it's not there you must add it but you'd be losing plugs alot if it werent there. A5 is the best plug for that engine. Your best bet is to get a new piston and sleeve for it. The V-spec parts will fit perfectly.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Hello, I usally dont buy used motors from people I dont know but the DEAL was really sweet. I bought a buggy from him and he just threw in the motor afterwards. He told me he could not get it to run so he gave it to me... I run small blocks with no problems, I rebuild and pinch them myself, this is my first Big block. I run the spektrum temp system so I am pretty good there. Just like havin min by min temp reading at radio. Even changed out to spare system to make sure. OK there. Pinch is great, real good compression, though it does have a little slack in bottom rod bushing, soon will need replaced. I messed with it again tonight and just for grins I put a MC59 HOT plug in it instead of the A5 (which I have tried 2 different ones) (does not foul plugs either). Started and run like a champ and cleared out nicely. Temp didnt get over 270 and I run it pretty hard. IS this NOT a good thing(again first BB)?? I will try putting the med plugs in it again tomorrow and see what happens.. I am thinking this all has something to do with the port job that that guy had done. Oh yea It has 1 copper looking shim. Thanks for all the input. Gonna sell off some of my small block stuff and to fund a NEW BIG BLOCK... Have a great weekend!!! Patrick

Last edited by slufoot78; 09-07-2007 at 08:22 PM.