Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Which Car for USGT

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The first question I would ask myself is, what parts are available locally? What does Mikes Hobby Shop carry? The second question is what do the others racers run? If you pick something that has parts stocked where you are going to race, or what other racers are using, your day wont end with a simple part breaking. If you use what the other racers are using, then you can get all sorts of help. Where I am from if you break a part or you are having trouble on the track, 5 people will stop by to either offer parts or advice. In 8 weeks I went from last place 8-10 laps down to 1st to 4th and 1-2 laps down depending on who's running and which class. All from people helping me out at the track. Some of those that helped are now chasing me.

I have not used any of the cars you listed except for the TT02. My advice, stay away from the TT02. It is little more than toy grade and is heaps of frustration for me. I am an engineer, and I cant get the suspension slop out of the thing. Stock parts, aftermarket parts, you name it, nothing has helped. My 8yo refuses to drive the thing since it wont hold a straight line for 10 feet. That's from my experience, I know others have had luck with the TT02.

I am partial to the Associated TC6, 6.1 and 6.2 cars. I was lucky enough to get some good deals in the $125-$175 range and have picked up 4 of the cars in the last couple of months (USGT, VTA, Oval, 17.1). Most of the cars came with some of the electronics so I didn't have to spend to much to get them going. All of the cars came with plenty of spare parts so I am stocked for quite a while. I race at a hobby store that has plenty of TC6 parts available and several of the other racers run the same cars so parts availability is not a problem. Associated and Petit RC has plenty of setup sheets for the cars on their website that have really helped out.

Hope some of this helps you out.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I agree with the guy that stated to buy a used Xray. A well taken care used car is better than a new lower priced car. I had a TC4 and would not recommend it for that track. If you have to buy new and are on a budget I would try the BT-4. The thing about a used Xray is it is more durable so u will not break as often...second, if you don't like it you can always sell the roller for what you paid. Most of the common breakable parts for an X-ray are interchangeable. Say 2014-2016 not 100 percent sure on this so speak with others to confirm this.

Lastly, the TC4 uses imperial screws so any screw will not transfer over to a modern car...

Bottom line used Xrays are your best bet.. Even if u they are not all the same...
Old 03-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptSlow
So I should clarify a few things...

- To get the Tamiya TT02 up to speed, will it take a lot of hop ups?

Thanks for the help guys!

The TT02 is not a great car for a large track, IMO, because you are very limited in the FDR that you can get with it. I struggled to get mine down to a 4.5 FDR (using Tamiya parts that don't require modification anyway), and quickly moved up to the Tamiya TA-07 (and have since moved to an ARC R10 that I found used with a tonne of hopups for $130). It's a great starter car for small track racing, or spec racing in TCS, but I would say stay away from it for your application.

Additionally, it's VERY limited in it's ability to tune its suspension. It's an interesting issue because it makes it a good starting car (since you don't have to worry so much about some settings like droop, rear toe, and camber), but also means that you would outgrow it very quickly. I raced mine for 3 months before I felt like I needed to step into a more advanced car.

I don't know that I have great advice on which car to get, but I can say that you'll probably want to stay away from the TT02 if you want a car you won't need to replace after 3 months.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

Great advice gents, I would recommend a used top level chassis as well.

If you start with a lower end Tamiya I would stick with a TA06 or TA07 as they share the 417 / 418 suspension components and can be upgraded to a higher level of car. The money you will spend to compete lap to lap (or still be behind) against a top level chassis like a Yok or xray will be in the $500+ range, been there and it was fun but.. you are better off getting a slightly used top level kit or save up and purchase a new one shot and start with a clean slate.

-2014-2016 Xray t4 series (17 if you can afford)
-2014-2016 Yok BD7 series (Bd8 if you can afford)
-AE 6.1-7.1
-TA07 pro (Really like this car for the design and club level)
-Sakura Advance (latest one is under $300 new, may be harder to get parts)

Not to mention with a big track like that efficiency is key (min weight 1380, light weight rotating parts, nice cleaned out bearings, decent motor, chassis has to be tunable in almost everyway)
aracefan likes this.

Last edited by DaSilva3525; 03-23-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This is the track...

OUR ON ROAD TRACK

Current winners are normally driving Serpents, X-Rays and Yokomos. However this thread is targetted towards 3 new drivers, hence the entry level cars as options only. I'm sure we'll upgrade later if we stick around.

Where is this track?
Old 03-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

This is the track...

OUR ON ROAD TRACK

Current winners are normally driving Serpents, X-Rays and Yokomos. However this thread is targetted towards 3 new drivers, hence the entry level cars as options only. I'm sure we'll upgrade later if we stick around.

WOW....we'd kill for a permanent track like that. Some take USGT very seriously which is why you will find high-end chassis competing like that. It is not uncommon to see the VBC D09, Yokomo, TC7.1, Awsomatix A800, etc running in this class.

I suggested the TC3 as it was a similar low cost entry type sedan that was similar to the ones you listed. Of course, if budget allows go big.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glennhl
Where is this track?
Just NE of Houston, TX
Old 03-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm using the BT4 for USGT. Seemed fine agsinst the others. The car is currently not the issue. My inconsistency is more of it. I have an XRay and Serpent but decided to give the BT4 a shot.
There's a thread for it with lots of info. XRay parts do work for it. Had to replace 1 belt so far. Wasn't cars fault,rock got jammed in and damaged belt.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glennhl
Our USGT is extremely competitive. Have to have one of the top rated cars (TC7.1, 2016/17 Xray, BD7/BD8) to be competitive.
Sure man.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
Sure man.
It tis kinda true... the main thing is dialing in "your car to the tee" before any extras start to show an advantage you must first max out each combo to the fullest and that is driving skill, rc spirit and chassis / motor tuning. It's Just most people don't want to re buy a car 2 or 3 times to get the tuning aid and parts wanted / required for that next "personal level"

some spots Usgt is just for good fun and any chassis are being used and at other tracks it's just as competitive as 17.5 Stock with folks going to the same extremes to make a 21.5 car almost as fast as stock.

Always seems to me in usgt that 25% are on the money going full out and doing really well and the bottom section of the field can be all over the dam place

Effort is key with anything.. hell I ran my tt-01 Hahn truck in usgt and was in the middle of the field with a joke of a chassis / parts. My .02
Old 03-23-2017, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

xray t4 14'-16' I'm running a 14' with a 15' chassis and a few aftermarket goodies. It's very competitive. I picked up a used 14' for $200
Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aracefan

DANG! That looks like an 1/8 nitro track.

I would definitely go with a belt drive car. How long is that straight??
I feel like I know that track like the back of my hand. Never been to it, but I recognize it from a video I've watched dozens of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5KJDwSzEKI
Old 03-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
Sure man.
You could be correct, but we won't know until you come out and run with us at Arizona Scale Racers in Mesa and run your TC4 or BT4 or whatever non-top car you have.

Mind you, you could probably beat me with a TC4, but I'm betting not even Ryan Cavalieri could beat our top guys in USGT using a TC4.

Last edited by glennhl; 03-24-2017 at 11:03 AM.