Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
The results of not checking your fail safe...... >

The results of not checking your fail safe......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The results of not checking your fail safe......

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default The results of not checking your fail safe......

A friend of mine, no really it isn't me, forgot to adjust his fail safe when he was checking the range of his radio. Well, the car stopped suddenly about 30yards from a lake and facing the lake. I think you know where I am going with this. Just as suddenly as it stopped, it took off at wide open throttle. Turns out these buggies are tough, but they are no match for water.

The buggy was only submersed for about a minute so only a little water penetrated the reciever box. However, the servos and transponder got soaked. Does anyone know if the servos are sealed? If it helps, the servos are Futaba BLS351 & S9351. Just trying to gauge if there is a need to take the servos apart before trying to power them up.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

If the car was submerged, take apart the servos and receiver, etc and let them dry ASAP!!!! He maybe lucky that no serious damage was done or he maybe in the market for all new radio gear!!! Also take the motor apart and give it a good cleaning/oiling. Spray the car with WD40 and wipe it down.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

When I was breaking in the 8ight I let a friend drive one of my minis, he promptly drove it into the creak. It didnt work after pulling it out of the water but I turned it on today just for the hell of it (little over a week later) and everything worked. Lots of rust but the electronics work which is all I care about.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That sucks, hope your equipment did not ruin.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default Ocean

My son's best friend drove his rustler VXL (electric) into the ocean because he was driving like a jackass and he hit the servo with a hair dryer and the esc as well. It was making some funny twitching for a while and lights were blinking all funny but it eventually returned to normal. He didnt power it up until after it had a chance to dry completely.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:33 AM
Tech Regular

I broke my throttle servo at a race and replaced it. I had to reverse the setting on the radio and diddnt think to redo the failsafe. when my rx pack went low it went full throttle lucky for me the marshall wes close by when it got stuck iin the fence. Fixed it won the b bumped to the a and got 5th.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elkman
My son's best friend drove his rustler VXL (electric) into the ocean because he was driving like a jackass and he hit the servo with a hair dryer and the esc as well. It was making some funny twitching for a while and lights were blinking all funny but it eventually returned to normal. He didnt power it up until after it had a chance to dry completely.
Boy, now that is getting lucky. Salt water is usually 100% sure fire death to electronics. Fresh water can sometimes be brought back to life with a good drying out.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Chester
Boy, now that is getting lucky. Salt water is usually 100% sure fire death to electronics. Fresh water can sometimes be brought back to life with a good drying out.

X2 salt water if WAY worse then a freshwater indecent.

petevette what ever you do....Give the gear time to dry before powering up again.....thing's should be fine as long as they weren't water logged and left like that for a long time.......Most servo's have O-ring's to prevent thing's like this...(well not this big of moisture problem)....but they do have o-ring's...but i would still Strip EVERYTHING down to the circuit boards and wait it out.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Let it dry completely and it might work. I accidently had a bottle of simple green open up in my pit box and it soaked my dx3r. It would turn on, but the menu didn't work with the scroll wheel so I couldn't change models which was needed because I was trying to switch from buggy to truggy. Of course, this happened after I drove an hour to the track and within the first 15 minutes of getting there.

Nevertheless, when I got home I just the transmitter in the sun all day and it worked when I turned it back on.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Rookie

I'd think the engine might be in danger of hydrolocking (water being sucked in, and piston trying to compress it). Usually results in bent or broken connecting rods.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

pull servos and receiver apart and spray with denatured alcohol and shake dry, let sit and dry completely...........should be OK........
Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

failsafes are worthless for that reason
if a fail safe looses power it dose not work so melting battery packs dont stop a car from launching a burm and getting hung in a barbwire fence.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokinu
failsafes are worthless for that reason
if a fail safe looses power it dose not work so melting battery packs dont stop a car from launching a burm and getting hung in a barbwire fence.
Thats why you use rubber bands or springs to hold the carby.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

no battery power makes the fail safe worthless for sure. I was running my buggy on a local track. Turned everything on fired it up. Drove it up to the track entrance,got on the throttle. It hit a bump than launched full throttle across the track and out into the field. Lucky for me it got stuck on a rut so nothing got damaged. When I checked it out apparently I didn't click the reciever ON lever all the way over. The bump shut off the switch. Just one of those weird things. Now I always check to make sure its on all the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.