LET's Go Racing! Myrtle Beach, SC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LET's Go Racing! Myrtle Beach, SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Regional Moderator

Yeah I have a few vehicles, but the kit(TC6) Im building to race isnt ready yet. Still slowly buying what I need. All my older stuff is nimh/brushed or nitro. This will be my first lipo/brushless car. Now saving the money to get a decent BL motor and lipo setup. Im am interested in running with you guys if possible. But not ready to do anything yet.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Initiate

There will eventually be a couple of TCs out there racing with yours I'm sure Right now, most of us are running a tub chassis and 27 turn brushed motors. I am getting a few of the Novak Club Series BL motor kits for us to get started with. As long as you run a ROAR legal 17.5 motor without timing, you will be legal for our staple class. Like I said before, hopefully we will end up getting into some mod and nitro down the road.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Regional Moderator

How are the races coming along. Any parking lot races yet or any growing interest for a TC class? Im still slowly building my car and now looking for good 17.5 motors and ESCs. Havent even decided what radio to get yet.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Interest has been halted a little. We recently started racing in-door off-road and that has taken some of the fire out of PL racing. It is still going to happen, just maybe a little bit slower. I have had some trouble in getting the mall to allot some space for a track. They were putting me off because of the recent biker festivities, and are now telling me that they will make some sort of decision after the 4th of July. I am hopeful that we will start something up through the summer months, but don't have exact dates or numbers yet. We have picked up 2 more interested parties, so for impromptu races, we are up to 6 racers with cars, who show up regularly ready to race. Whenever there are four of us, we have been setting up a temporary circuit and racing without timing. It's been fun, and I can see it being very competitive once we get something more serious started.

Oh, and FWIW, we are going to be running the Novak club 17.5 systems to begin with. Like I previously said though, any ROAR legal "blinky" type system will be accepted.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Regional Moderator

Well instead of parking lot, why dont you guys set up a make shift indoor track on carpet? This way there is no inconvenience with parking space use etc. You know, having to compete with the rest of the mall, customers and the local happenings for alotted parking spaces to set up. Just saying. I dont care, as long as there is a place to run. You could do it on the roof.

Just curious how big is your offroad track? Is it big enough for 1/10 and 1/8 scale, or the smaller stuff? I have a few older trucks I may be interested in running. Oh and thanks for taking the time to share the info.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Tech Initiate

I have looked into doing some carpet racing indoor. There is a location where we could possibly do 1/18th, but there really isn't a location big enough for 1/10 scale indoor. I'm not too keen on going 1/18 scale on-road, since we are already racing small scale on-road in our current location. It's a good idea, so throw anything else you think of at me

Hmmm, the roof

Our off-road track is the same size as our on-road track. It is designed for 1/24th-28th scale vehicles. You could likely get some of the smaller 1/18th scale stuff around it, but it may be a little tight.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Regional Moderator

One more possible idea to maybe help you. Is your store in the interior(center) of the mall or is it on one of the outside edges/corners of the wall. What Im mean is, is the back wall of your shop an outside wall, with a door that going outside behind the mall.

If so then there is likely a large paved area behind the mall where the trucks pass through and unload. You could probably run races away from the parking lot. Its not nearly as trafficed as the parking lot. Just be weary of the truck/inventory days/hours.

This is provided youre on one of the outside walls with a backdoor accessing the loading area. At my local mall the parking lot surrounds the entire mall on all sides so this isnt possible. Dont know if your mall is the same. But just an idea and possible solution to your pl race dilema.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Initiate

I do have a back door that is adjacent to a large concrete area. We run there pretty often in the nights with a temporary track set up. It is better than the back parking lot, as I can hear the door bell to my front door from there, so I don't need to close up, or have some one to watch the store for me. The problem is, the area is kind of small for 17.5, and it leads to the entrance of the theater....which means some nights, its too busy to set up there.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Regional Moderator

It seems like nothing will work in your favor between you and the mall. Its a tight situation with compromise on all sides. But hopefully they will give feedback and work with you on usage of the parking lot. I l look forward to going down there meeting and racing with you guys.

After the 4th pass, I can see them telling you mustang week or labor day(before making a decision), then halloween/thanksgiving, and christmas.... In the long run I dont think they will let you. They probably want(and prefer) you to rent a larger space inside to accommodate your tracks and pay more money. Which is what its all really about, is money.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Tech Initiate

I actually think I have a pretty good relationship with the mall management. They have already agreed to let me set up a temporary track pretty much any time I want to. I will just have to take it down after every race day. I think it will be more appealing to more people if it was a permanent track that is available for practice any time. After studying a few locations in the parking lot, I am almost 100% sure I could negotiate a permanent location, but have not pressured the management to allow me to use it, as I haven't received the interest in 10th scale that I thought I would. Actually with the summer here, interest in the beach is taking over interest in racing I still have my core group of true mini Z racers, but we aren't pushing 20 racers a night like we were a few months ago....well except when it rains 10th scale racing is not out of the picture, I just need a few more willing participants before we can pursue setting up anything formal.

After talking with you so much lately, I think it would be nice to meet you. Maybe someday you can come down and check out the store in person. We could walk the PL and I could show you what our current options are, and what I would like to strive for in the future. I would love to see your TC as well. I know it's not complete, but I'd still like to see it If you aren't busy Saturday we have a MiniZ race going on. I may not have as much time to talk, but it would give you a chance to meet some of our other racers (some of which will be racing 10th scale as well!), and see what kind of hoodlums you are signing up to hang around with
Old 06-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by hrdrvr
I actually think I have a pretty good relationship with the mall management. They have already agreed to let me set up a temporary track pretty much any time I want to. I will just have to take it down after every race day.
Thats great, I didnt know it was like that with them. I thought the issue was about the PL, but its more about getting enough people interested to make it worthwhile.

I think it will be more appealing to more people if it was a permanent track that is available for practice any time.
This. I thought about that too maybe being a possible issue. Not having a place to practice or setup the car between racedays would be hard and turn off for a lot of people. Id like to get practice and a feel of the car before racing it. But I knew the track would be temp, so I thought about showing up extrra early on race days while the track is set up and getting practice in before the race began.

I would love to see your TC as well. I know it's not complete, but I'd still like to see it
Its almost done. Im getting the body custom painted by one of the guys at the local hobby shop for $50. Which I think is a good deal. I jus got to get some lipos and balancer for my charger and Ill be good to go. Im a brushed/nihm guy so still learning about lipos and BL.

Long story short, when I played in the hobby as a kid brushed and nihm was dominant. Then I got a real car at 17 and lost interest in the hobby. 5 years later Im 24(and over the novelty of owning a car) getting back into it, found out brushed and nihm are history and BL and lipo is where its at.

If you aren't busy Saturday we have a MiniZ race going on. I may not have as much time to talk, but it would give you a chance to meet some of our other racers (some of which will be racing 10th scale as well!), and see what kind of hoodlums you are signing up to hang around with
Got it, see the competition and get to know what theyre all about. Theyll probably blow me away. Im im wilmington nc. I found another shop with a indoor carpet and outdoor paved track. But they are about 2 hours away and little further than you guys are. It would be nice to run with you guys too. Especially being a little bit closer.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just read your thread about PL racing, you are doing a good job, the thing is to not give up and once you start something to stay consistent. We run mini-z racing, indoor micro offroad and parking lot racing on a regular basis at our shop and the turnout was slow at the beginning but once it picks up and word spreads you'll do good.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the insight buddy. You guys have a huge population advantage over there in San Jose though I have seen our MiniZ crew grow from 3-4, up to 20+, then back down to less than a handful, only to spike up to over 30 again. We dwindled back down to 3-4, and now are back up to around 20 Z racers again. I know the importance of not giving up

I have received very good feedback, and am happy about how much we've grown since opening up, and I am sure we can make 10th scale work. I just need to not push it too quickly, so I can grow at a rate that I can handle. We will race 10th scale touring, and it will be successful.....it's just a matter of when
Old 08-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Stopped in for the first time, what a great track!!! A friend and I ran the rental cars and had a blast, ever put some good laps down. Will be back again!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks! I'm glad y'all had a good time. I hope to see y'all again...maybe even for a race night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.