Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
Splitting the MM and RM cars apart is the dumbest idea and will dilute the classes. Next thing you will want the classes split even further for people who mount the ESC on the right vs. left side of the chassis...
Every brand of car should have its own class also.

In the future there shouldn't be any scoring, just driving.

Maybe for trophy races everyone can get the same trophy the just says "Participant" instead of the place that you finished...lol
Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JW91
Every brand of car should have its own class also.

In the future there shouldn't be any scoring, just driving.

Maybe for trophy races everyone can get the same trophy the just says "Participant" instead of the place that you finished...lol
Sometimes I think that is the direction the world is heading.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
It's not about time its about the dilution of classes, if you guys get enough to split the buggy class in to RM and MM then that's great and I'm jealous.
I get it.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

yep, I looked at the xx4 manual and they were keyed. My guess... tlr was lazy and just left it that way with no real reason, other than to save time and money.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Rookie

the Picture of the new B5 gearbox tells that the top slipper axle/gear is 20. (same as B4 ?)

The idler gear is 31 on B5 (was 28 on B4?)

the Diffgear is 52 (same as B4?)
Old 01-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Why on earth did they use 4 gears in the transmission? Considering they needed a new case anyhow, it would have been easier to keep the motor orientation and use a single idler just like older designs. You could use the same motor plate on both the mid and rear motor configurations if they did that.

The only reason I could see for this is to make slipper adjustment easier with tires on, but it puts weight higher and adds unnecessary parts.

As for me, I'll wait until an FT or .1 kit comes out... So much has changed that there will definitely be bugs to work out. Don't want to go back to plastic rear hubs, either. Aluminum and CF for me back there.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would imagine that plenty of companies tried out a motor orientation to use a 3-gear transmission instead of 4 and found that the 4 gear box was better. Why? I have no idea.. It might even be because it pushes the motor forward just a tad bit more than 3 gears would.

I'm in the same boat though, no B5 for me until bugs have been worked out. I can't afford getting new 'needed' upgrades and not to mention new batteries that will fit
Old 01-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Champion

When considering the transmission gears you might want to think about motor torque...
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FantomLeopard
I would imagine that plenty of companies tried out a motor orientation to use a 3-gear transmission instead of 4 and found that the 4 gear box was better. Why? I have no idea.. It might even be because it pushes the motor forward just a tad bit more than 3 gears would.
I thought they did it because all they needed to do was essentially slap a Centro gearbox on it. Not that idlers are heavy, but every gear is adding some drag and complexity. The Centro had to be made like that because they reused the rear motor plate/cover. It looks like AE did some additional machining and mold making, so I can't fathom why they just reused it.

Luckily, I have batteries that fit because I've been running shorties since soon after they became popular. No squares yet, though.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Rookie

The original X-6 used a 3 gear box.
The new X-6 box is 4-gear.

The rotor rotation is why 4-gear is mostly used.
The rotor in motor is rotating in same direction as in a RM car with a 3 gear box.

In very highgrip track on carpet ,astroturf maybe a 3 gear box is better.?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
When considering the transmission gears you might want to think about motor torque...
There are 3 gears in a RM transmission, so I don't see how the motor's torque would make a MM car require 4 gears. But I never took more than a semester of physics and have never taken an engineering class so it might just be my lack of knowledge

Originally Posted by Jan F
The original X-6 used a 3 gear box.
The new X-6 box is 4-gear.

The rotor rotation is why 4-gear is mostly used.
The rotor in motor is rotating in same direction as in a RM car with a 3 gear box.

In very highgrip track on carpet ,astroturf maybe a 3 gear box is better.?
See, examples like this make me wonder why the 4gear transmission is better. They obviously switched from a 3gear to a 4gear box for a reason. I almost wonder if we should be switching motor orientations on RM cars to fit 4 gear boxes in RM instead of 3 gears
Old 01-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FantomLeopard
There are 3 gears in a RM transmission, so I don't see how the motor's torque would make a MM car require 4 gears. But I never took more than a semester of physics and have never taken an engineering class so it might just be my lack of knowledge ......See, examples like this make me wonder why the 4gear transmission is better. They obviously switched from a 3gear to a 4gear box for a reason. I almost wonder if we should be switching motor orientations on RM cars to fit 4 gear boxes in RM instead of 3 gears
Check this post out:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/12516948-post255.html

From this thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-s-tracks.html
Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

What do you guys think this is? To me, it looks like a location for a steering stop screw. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread-capture.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

didnt the sc10 4x4 have a screw like that.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

4 gears are used because of motor torque. Not that you need an additional gear to handle the AMOUNT of torque...but that additional gear allows for the ROTATION and TORQUE effect on the chassis during acceleration and deceleration to be the optimum direction for handling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.