Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
front tires wearing out quicker then rears? >

front tires wearing out quicker then rears?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

front tires wearing out quicker then rears?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default front tires wearing out quicker then rears?

i went racing last night and it has been doing this for a couple of meetings. the front tires wear so quickly you can notice the wear after one race. and yet the rear tires are like new? it doesnt make sense the only change i made to my losi was the camber link on the front shock tower i raised the camber link to give it a lower roll centre which someone recommended i tried to help it handle the bumps but is that the problem? if not what could i do to stop it wearing out so quick?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lewis666
i went racing last night and it has been doing this for a couple of meetings. the front tires wear so quickly you can notice the wear after one race. and yet the rear tires are like new? it doesnt make sense the only change i made to my losi was the camber link on the front shock tower i raised the camber link to give it a lower roll centre which someone recommended i tried to help it handle the bumps but is that the problem? if not what could i do to stop it wearing out so quick?
Maybe thats the problem, have you changed diffs oil? What tires/compound?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by token
Maybe thats the problem, have you changed diffs oil? What tires/compound?
i have not changed a thing but i am going to change it back and see if that stops it
Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

When is the last time you changed your Diff fluid in the center and front?
Generally if your front tires are wearing out way faster than the rear it is because your center diff fluid is to light / so worn out it's almost gone!
It could also partially be your front diff fluid if in corners your 'diffing' out and your inside wheel is lifting off the ground a bit and 'free spinning / diffing out'.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRCRacer25
Generally if your front tires are wearing out way faster than the rear it is because your center diff fluid is to light / so worn out it's almost gone!
It could also partially be your front diff fluid if in corners your 'diffing' out and your inside wheel is lifting off the ground a bit and 'free spinning / diffing out'.
+1
Old 04-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default put

7,000 in the center, 5000 isn't enough, I don't care what the hot setup is, put 5,7,3 in the buggy...
Old 04-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

+2
Old 04-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

not for a long time i have been planning on rebuilding my diffs and changing the set up to 5-5-3 from the standard 5-7-2 but is 5-5-3 a good set up? but i used a mates set of tires (losi XBT) for my final and my car performed amazingly with no wear at all but it could it just be my tires rubber going bad or something?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

maybe your just getting on the gas too much and ballooning the tires. you need a fine balance between throttle control and center diff oil time after time I see a lot of newer racers punching it out of every corner, in generel its better to "roll on the power" than drive your buggy like a on-off switch which a lot of gas racers get in the habit of doing trying to "stay in the powerband".
Old 04-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nv529
maybe your just getting on the gas too much and ballooning the tires. you need a fine balance between throttle control and center diff oil time after time I see a lot of newer racers punching it out of every corner, in generel its better to "roll on the power" than drive your buggy like a on-off switch which a lot of gas racers get in the habit of doing trying to "stay in the powerband".
what diff oil set up would you recommend for a losi 8ight for a track that is technical but has one long straight and a few short straights? also what do people use to clean out there diffs?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lewis666
what diff oil set up would you recommend for a losi 8ight for a track that is technical but has one long straight and a few short straights? also what do people use to clean out there diffs?
5-7-2 is a classic diff setup, it can't hurt to start with that.

Use VM&P Naphtha to clean diffs. Hold parts in a tea infuser, dip in a jar of naphtha, soak, dry, all clean.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 071crazy
5-7-2 is a classic diff setup, it can't hurt to start with that.

Use VM&P Naphtha to clean diffs. Hold parts in a tea infuser, dip in a jar of naphtha, soak, dry, all clean.
i have been running the standard diff setup but i dont seem to get alot of acceleration at the start could going lighter in the centre diff help it? maybe 5k
Old 05-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default no

Lighter center diff oil actually can make the car slower. Like he said 5-7-3 or 5-7-2, but 7 just works in the center. then play with changing the front and rear if you like...
Old 05-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

5-7-3 or 5-7-2 will work great. You have to change the fluid in hour diffs and in your shocks after every gallon of fuel or usually 4-5 race days depending on how much practice you do. The fluids get hot and wear out then they lose their consistency and these buggys are touchy. As for cleaning them I take them apart and spray them down with electrick motor cleaner, let the gears soak in some motor cleaner, dry them off and reassemble them. Fill the diff up so it just covers the gears. You don't want to over fill them. Proper maintence is critical.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

rite i will give my diffs a re build over the weekend