Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Volition
I'll take everyone 's feedback on face value. The gauge is $20. I saw Jconcepts have a ride height gauge for $30. So value is reasonable.

From the feedback though it would seem too unreliable. If I get bored one day. Might give it a whirl. Thanks for your input.

I can hear you socket. You ll have to whisper much quieter. I'll think I'll wait to tell everyone they are wrong. You ruined the moment you cynical one.
I think it makes sense in the mechanical world and would be great if it was a click it and forget it but with all the plastic and variables it may get you close but then you would still need to tweak tighter or looser depending.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:19 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cridd
I think it makes sense in the mechanical world and would be great if it was a click it and forget it but with all the plastic and variables it may get you close but then you would still need to tweak tighter or looser depending.
Diff's wear. Diff's set in, and Diff's are active. They're also held together by a Nylock. It's not a torqued assembly that can actively be measured because of all of these variables above.

But, what do I know. I carry the same clout as the idiot that gives us facts on 3 gears but doesn't know how camber links work.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Relax, people... same team.

Volition, When I setting my diff, I can get a pretty noticeable change in diff tightness or looseness as, maybe going in a quarter turn, or out a quarter turn, but the tension/torque I feel on my allen wrench doesn't seem to really change. You need to be able to tune your diff based on the perceived tension in the diff action, and then know how that tension behaves on the track. You aren't going to get what you need from a ball diff, using a torque wrench. Does not apply.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Tech Champion

Anyone used a torque gauge to measure diff tightness. I know you can get screwdriver/wrench torque gauges. Seems like a reliable way to get the tightness right.

There are cheap ones out there.
http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Produ...Angular/214307

Just an idea. What do you think? Could you hold 1 wheel and twist the other with the gauge. To get a reading.
Your'e thinking of using the torque wrench to measure the actual diff action, right? Not the diff bolt torque?

At the very least I don't think the linked wrench is the correct tool. That appears to be a version of what some call a torque-tension tool with a 1/2" socket drive, used for final torquing of fairly substantial full scale bolts. Not sensitive enough, and the angle part doesn't apply.

With a far more sensitive/lower range torque only wrench it might be possible at least to an extent. I think the best chance of success would be on the bare diff out of the car. The torque is so low that things like driveshaft binding and hub bearings would add to the challenge.

Interesting idea, if you do try it I would like to know how it works or doesn't.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

How much longer till we get a worlds kit?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silberpfeil
Yeah, make it happen by November please....
Old 10-06-2015, 02:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dave H
Your'e thinking of using the torque wrench to measure the actual diff action, right? Not the diff bolt torque?

At the very least I don't think the linked wrench is the correct tool. That appears to be a version of what some call a torque-tension tool with a 1/2" socket drive, used for final torquing of fairly substantial full scale bolts. Not sensitive enough, and the angle part doesn't apply.

With a far more sensitive/lower range torque only wrench it might be possible at least to an extent. I think the best chance of success would be on the bare diff out of the car. The torque is so low that things like driveshaft binding and hub bearings would add to the challenge.

Interesting idea, if you do try it I would like to know how it works or doesn't.
Correct, I don't think it would work with the diff thrust bolt. Idea was to hold one wheel, put wrench on the other wheel and check torque then.

As a background I drove a 4wd short course last summer. Loved the buggy racing so bought a 2nd hand b5m I've spent the last month and a bit tearing it down and rebuilding and will try my hand at 17.5t Blinky racing. On my first attempt of building the diff I snapped the thrust bolt. So disappointing as I'd put in all the hard work and was excited to get driving & bam. So I ordered the bolt. I'm in Australia 2 weeks later it arrived. In that time I did some research and successfully built my diff. Learnt plenty on the rebuild. Installed a few new things which was fun. Bearings, aluminum hubs, etc have bought some spares. So in total I have 2 battery packs of experience in 2wd, in buggies, in stock.

I just thought there has got to be a way to measure diff tightness reliably. All the methods around are so subjective and impossible to convey "a feel". So I thought I'd ask the question? Personally I'll ask someone at the track to check it out and guid me so I can feel the correct tightness for myself. Love a way to have. An instrument that said yep you've got the right tightness. Honestly hoping someone else had tried it and could definitively say it does or does not work. Anyone want to try it out for me? As I said, if I get time and I haven't got more important things to worry about ill try it.

My thinking in regards to all the variables is that the wrench gauge would take that into account. E,g. If the diff balls are being pressed with the same force. Yet due to variables ( plastics, etc as Socket mentioned)one is looser then the other.
The gauge would measure exactly that. It would show one as looser then the other. All speculation of course.

Without someone actually testing it we will never really know. Rcbuddha stated he had tried it without much success. So I'll take that as correct unless I hear or see different for now.

More importantly I have a million questions. So hopefully you can be patient enough with my naivety.

Thanks all in advance.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:53 AM
Tech Regular

I've done some searching without too much success. Has anyone done a chart of which pin ions will fit on which Spurs.

I found out that a 25pinion is the smallest a 76spur will fit, or is that 72 shit I'll have to count the teeth on the spur gear I've got on the car.

Anyway has anyone done the legwork on this already. I have a few Spurs that I bought And want to now the smallest and largest pinions for 66, 69, 72, 76 & 81
Old 10-06-2015, 03:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Silberpfeil
No need to wait, we race whit the same cars in France for half à year.
Go to Facebook at Redworkshop and order à lowrider. ( or à b52 if you race carpet)
Old 10-06-2015, 03:35 AM
Tech Rookie

The concept on the lowrider and b52 (the b52 is the same layout thant tebo kyosh) came naturally to nord France beacose we race on astro and carpet.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

That is an interesting concept with using a beam type torque wrench, but I think the only thing that would have benefit, is that if you have a rough range of tightness to a given type of track surface (i.e. 15-18"lbs for medium grip / 20-22"lbs for medium/high grip) But, I would leave those assumptions for a simple starting point at the very most.. Interesting idea though!
Old 10-06-2015, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

a local racer made a diff tester when we were running touring cars. It was a basic load tester.... a wrench with a weighted lever. Way too much work for a diff in a car.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by afm223
When using the Associated aluminum rear hubs, which position is closest to the stock setup? Also will I need any washers between the ball stud and the hub?
Go to AE's website and look under the B5M manuals section. They have a PDF supplement that explains the hubs and what to do to match stock position.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Correct, I don't think it would work with the diff thrust bolt. Idea was to hold one wheel, put wrench on the other wheel and check torque then.

As a background I drove a 4wd short course last summer. Loved the buggy racing so bought a 2nd hand b5m I've spent the last month and a bit tearing it down and rebuilding and will try my hand at 17.5t Blinky racing. On my first attempt of building the diff I snapped the thrust bolt. So disappointing as I'd put in all the hard work and was excited to get driving & bam. So I ordered the bolt. I'm in Australia 2 weeks later it arrived. In that time I did some research and successfully built my diff. Learnt plenty on the rebuild. Installed a few new things which was fun. Bearings, aluminum hubs, etc have bought some spares. So in total I have 2 battery packs of experience in 2wd, in buggies, in stock.

I just thought there has got to be a way to measure diff tightness reliably. All the methods around are so subjective and impossible to convey "a feel". So I thought I'd ask the question? Personally I'll ask someone at the track to check it out and guid me so I can feel the correct tightness for myself. Love a way to have. An instrument that said yep you've got the right tightness. Honestly hoping someone else had tried it and could definitively say it does or does not work. Anyone want to try it out for me? As I said, if I get time and I haven't got more important things to worry about ill try it.

My thinking in regards to all the variables is that the wrench gauge would take that into account. E,g. If the diff balls are being pressed with the same force. Yet due to variables ( plastics, etc as Socket mentioned)one is looser then the other.
The gauge would measure exactly that. It would show one as looser then the other. All speculation of course.

Without someone actually testing it we will never really know. Rcbuddha stated he had tried it without much success. So I'll take that as correct unless I hear or see different for now.

More importantly I have a million questions. So hopefully you can be patient enough with my naivety.

Thanks all in advance.
LOL I did this a few years back just to explain the same idea to a friend.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_1I1Hiw8XM
Old 10-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
Go to AE's website and look under the B5M manuals section. They have a PDF supplement that explains the hubs and what to do to match stock position.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.