Wiki Posts
Search

RB's 45% Nitro Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default RB's 45% Nitro Fuel

"Developed by the RB R&D Team, this fuel is a significant advantage for your buggy engine: Increased power, reduced consumption, more torque and stable idle are the results of using this fuel. The vast majority of the RB Team used this RB 45% fuel at the 2009 European Championship in Austria with excellent results. The use of this fuel requires an additional 0,1mm head shim."

If you're jumping up from 20% to 30% nitro content, you'd have to add a 0.1mm shim. However assuming that you're from 30% and jumping to 45% (15% increase), why wouldn't you add the proportionate amount of head shim thickness instead of only 0.1mm as mentioned in the copied article above?

Other than that I am eager to try the fuel
Old 07-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

i dont know about this one. one of you guys can try it first
Old 07-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Be interesting to so what it does to engines. Might make tuning trickier I guess. Dunno if I need this. Bet it cost too. We will see.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Gonna get an empty bottle & pour my fuel in just to piss the guys at the track off. I thought EFRA max% was 25% so how did they use it at the euros? Did I miss some rule changes in the last couple years?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

If power was my only concern then I could see myself trying the fuel. It is an Rb product and Rb does not make crap. I could tell the difference in running 20% vs 30% in my speed motor, I mean you could hear it and feel it. I could only imagine the boost in power that 45% would make, of course the only downfall to running higher nitro content is a shorter life span of the motor.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Interesting. I couldn't even find the normal RB fuel here in the states and this stuff comes along.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Buggies are getting lighter and some of the better guys (Josh Stough, sitting 12th qualifier @ nats right now) I know are changing to 20% for the fuel mileage. 45% is a waste.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
Buggies are getting lighter and some of the better guys (Josh Stough, sitting 12th qualifier @ nats right now) I know are changing to 20% for the fuel mileage. 45% is a waste.
Interesting. Could you or anybody else explain on less nitro content netting more runtime? I have heard this before and would like to better understand.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

I would be very carefull with RB fuel. It seems to work ok however this is how engine looks just after 2litres
(factory prerun RB B9)

RB C6 after 6 litres looked even worse and several other people confirmed that their engines look the same.

All thanks to the new RB fuel in grey canisters.

Did not happen with previous RB fuels as my old WS7 looks inside almost like brand new after 20+litres of old RB fuel.

I did clean both B9 and C6 and they run well with Odonell fuel and they stay clean.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Honestly, your engine looks fine. A little carbon buildup never hurt an engine. In fact, many of the European fuel suppliers put organic content in the fuel to create carbon deposits inside the engine under the theory that it helps to seal the piston to the sleeve. The only thing you really need to worry about is when the top of the piston and the head get "speckled" or appear sandblasted. That means that you have too much compression and it's pingin'!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpz_67
Interesting. Could you or anybody else explain on less nitro content netting more runtime? I have heard this before and would like to better understand.
Very simple. Nitro is an oxygenator (carries it's own oxygen), if you increase the nitro %, you are effectively bringing in more air which allows you to burn more fuel at a time and pass more fuel through the engine. Because of this, you will get more power, but burn more fuel. This is also the reason that you'll find 30% fuel typically has a lower oil % than 20%, because with more fuel passing through the engine, you are passing more oil as well.

wallot, that engine doesn't look bad, just looks like it's been running a little rich, how'd it run on the new stuff?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jpz_67
higher nitro has a richer setting and also has a bigger "sweet spot" for tunning. lower nitro uses a leaner setting and is more difficult for tunning, also less fuel means better run time. i know it doesn't translate here but with heli's, we prefer higher nitro, not for the power but for the richer needle. this will allow more oil to go threw the engine. as in car engines, heli engines are air cooled, but heli engines use the oil for cooling (as well as lubrication) and the more oil we can get in, the cooler the engine runs. thats why heli fuel has 20% oil
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

That motor looks fine to me except for a little rust on the crank. Use more after run. I admit that dyes in fuel that turn rods funny colors bugs the hell out of me, but it hurts nothing.

As for %, I would rather run less nitro for the mileage. Hell, most of us onroad guys are going to 16% to try and make time.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Honestly I don't like the idea of this much nitro content in fuel. None of the production engines are set to accommodate this much nitro content, and we all know how well everyone reads instructions. So, there's going to be a LOT of people that will just pour it into the fuel tank and the resulting detonation will cause quite a bit of damage.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
Very simple. Nitro is an oxygenator (carries it's own oxygen), if you increase the nitro %, you are effectively bringing in more air which allows you to burn more fuel at a time and pass more fuel through the engine. Because of this, you will get more power, but burn more fuel. This is also the reason that you'll find 30% fuel typically has a lower oil % than 20%, because with more fuel passing through the engine, you are passing more oil as well.

wallot, that engine doesn't look bad, just looks like it's been running a little rich, how'd it run on the new stuff?
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
higher nitro has a richer setting and also has a bigger "sweet spot" for tunning. lower nitro uses a leaner setting and is more difficult for tunning, also less fuel means better run time. i know it doesn't translate here but with heli's, we prefer higher nitro, not for the power but for the richer needle. this will allow more oil to go threw the engine. as in car engines, heli engines are air cooled, but heli engines use the oil for cooling (as well as lubrication) and the more oil we can get in, the cooler the engine runs. thats why heli fuel has 20% oil
Very interesting guys. From my personal experiences I get lower temps and of course more power with a higher nitro content, therefore I could lean the mixture more. I tried some 20% on my motor just so I would know and all that happened was a slight loss in power and the temps went up. That is the only reason I am not so sure on the situation. Maybe I should have removed a shim or ran a different plug?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.