Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you activate ABS for off road?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Do you activate ABS for off road?

Hi Guys,

for those transmitter with ABS function, do you use them on off road buggy?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drstrangelove
Hi Guys,

for those transmitter with ABS function, do you use them on off road buggy?
I have the 4PK and I was running this on accident. I had no clue what the heck was going on and never got used to it. I've read it is useful for onroad applications, but not so much for off-road.

That is my experience. Once I figured out how to turn it off, I did.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

thanks mate, that's what I thought too.

Btw, just checking as the last line not clear. You do not know how to turn off the abs on 4pk?

Originally Posted by 305M3
I have the 4PK and I was running this on accident. I had no clue what the heck was going on and never got used to it. I've read it is useful for onroad applications, but not so much for off-road.

That is my experience. Once I figured out how to turn it off, I did.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drstrangelove
thanks mate, that's what I thought too.

Btw, just checking as the last line not clear. You do not know how to turn off the abs on 4pk?
I eventually figured it out. Initially the instructions were not clear - to me at least - and it was a bit of a pain.

The 4PK has so many features, as does every radio out there, that I only utilize 10% of they are capable of.

On an unrelated note, the OS Speed is broken in and I L-O-V-E it. Beautiful sound and crazy power.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Oh yah, tell me about Futaba, they are known for bad manual and bad naming of their options!

Sweet, i love my OS speed! it sound crazy... and yah, it is powerful. I haven't get to try the Orion one much, maybe this weekend I will go down to the Johor track again and run my truggy to have a feel of it but so far the orion engine sound sweet too mate!

Originally Posted by 305M3
I eventually figured it out. Initially the instructions were not clear - to me at least - and it was a bit of a pain.

The 4PK has so many features, as does every radio out there, that I only utilize 10% of they are capable of.

On an unrelated note, the OS Speed is broken in and I L-O-V-E it. Beautiful sound and crazy power.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I am switching to a new radio with this feature specifically for off-road. After watching the pros braking in some of the corners, you can see they really pulse the brakes with their fingers. So, I figured why not have the radio do it for me.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jmackani
I am switching to a new radio with this feature specifically for off-road. After watching the pros braking in some of the corners, you can see they really pulse the brakes with their fingers. So, I figured why not have the radio do it for me.
Because you will wear out a throttle servo really quick. Just set your brake travel to a point just before the tires lock up and your good. You can go 100% brake with your finger and your RC will just stop without locking up the tires and sliding. When you get better at controlling the brakes with your finger you can dial in more brakes at the transmitter and just vary your finger for the desired effect.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Great Response...

Originally Posted by Slider30250
Because you will wear out a throttle servo really quick. Just set your brake travel to a point just before the tires lock up and your good. You can go 100% brake with your finger and your RC will just stop without locking up the tires and sliding. When you get better at controlling the brakes with your finger you can dial in more brakes at the transmitter and just vary your finger for the desired effect.
I agree 100%... Teach your throttle finger to do the work...

I have played around with this feature a ton last year and yes it will wear out a servo faster but I would accept that if it was a huge help... I found that just when I get it set to where it seemed to do some good the track conditions would change to quickly to keep up with it...

Again teach your throttle finger how to do the work!

Good Luck
Old 05-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Something I started out with. Go to a practice day and try driving with no brake smoothly around the track. Once you get that down, you'll be surprised at how much faster you are with brake.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I dont like the ABS for off road at all...
Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Man I'm surprised at these comments. I love my abs system. I can set my end points/bias correctly but the problem I've always had are the changing conditions on our track. Sometimes its dry, dusty, more grip on the shaded parts, etc.... Those conditions will change your braking points and cause the truck to lock up when it normally wouldn't.

With my abs I no longer worry about that. My brakes a nearly perfect in all corners. If a particular part of the track is dusty the brakes wont lock which allows me to use the steering to make a correction.

It also allows me to run in a corner very deep to make a pass. The assurance knowing my wheels will never stop moving gives me that confidence.

I can say I'm way more consistent with it.

I can't say much about servo life though. I haven't had any problems,,,,,,,,,yet.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Thanks for responding...

Thanks for letting us know it is working for you. Maybe it is something I have not played around with enough yet to find a setting I like.

Who knows.... Works in almost every other form of motorsports that allows it...

I have not personally found a setup I like with ABS but maybe worth another shot.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think I will give ABS a try this weekend and see the results and I will update what I find/feel. If it really add value, than it's great, servo are cheap, if ABS can make you win the race, so be it
Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I never your ABS.... Even on full scale cars...