Losi 8ight front hinge pin retainer trouble

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight front hinge pin retainer trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

I also just started using the KHZ rear and front hinge pin retainers. They seem to work very well. I would also recommend reaming the arms a bit to make the pins rotate freely in the arms. Although you don't want it to get too sloppy, sometimes the plastic arms can be a little snug. It is possible simply a little grease/oil might do the trick as well. This way you can lock tight the KHZ set screws nice and tight and not worry about free travel. (my $.02)
Old 08-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Never put grease or Lube on the Hingepins.....all thats gonna do is Attract dirt and wear them faster.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
Never put grease or Lube on the Hingepins.....all thats gonna do is Attract dirt and wear them faster.
+1

Except of course if you clean your vehicle regularly

There are also some other non dirt attracting lubrications.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Larks
+1

Except of course if you clean your vehicle regularly

There are also some other non dirt attracting lubrications.

Dry Film Silicone based lube........pafarin Wax based lube......umm there's quite a few....ive played with Dozen's of differnt brands and forms....not many work...but some do....and require Constant maintenance. ill make up a list of everything that ive tried and post it.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I like KHZ products a lot, I have their front and rear braces and radio tray stiffener on my car, as well as KHZ shoes in it to try this weekend. But the new M2C plates are slick. Only one front plate and 2 rear plates. Anywhere from 1 to 5 deg antisquat just by changing inserts. Toe from like one to 5.5 in 0.5 deg increments depending in which plate and inserts you use. Not sure I'll ever use the 2nd plate but a better driver might, LOL. The tapered ball end hinge pins allow for either the arms to move on the pins or the pins to move in the inserts (in case of a bent pin). I'll try to snap a pic in the AM before I go dirty them up.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by LVBaja
Aside from several fuel tanks splitting at the seam (discussed in a separate thread already), the only other chronic problem I'm having with my Losi 8ight is the front hinge pin retainers consistently breaking. I started with the stock configuration (aluminum brace and plastic retainer), and the plastic retainer kept breaking. This allows the hinge pin to slide backward and then the front H-arm angles back enough to pop the drive shaft out. I upgraded to the Losi adjustable hinge pin braces that contain the small hinge pin retainer inserts, and now I continue to punch holes through the inserts. This happens in as little as 5 minutes of driving and usually on the right-hand back brace (front end of car). I replaced 2 of these retainer inserts at last Saturday's race, and it forced a DNF in my first heat and the A-main (while running 2nd). Anyone having this same problem?
Little late to chime in here but, Your hinge pins needed to be free to rotate inside the arm and not bent. If its bent and tight as the arm moves up and down it will punch through, plus make sure theres no Sharp edges on the ends. I use a little dry powder graphite on mine. If it was just the one giving you the trouble it was more than likely bent. But it sounds like you found a fix already.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Here the new M2C plates installed. Meant to take a pic before I put them in, but oh well. No set screws, no covers.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight front hinge pin retainer trouble-2008_08090002.jpg   Losi 8ight front hinge pin retainer trouble-2008_08090003.jpg  
Old 08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Here the new M2C plates installed. Meant to take a pic before I put them in, but oh well. No set screws, no covers.

Mitch engraves your name into the plates ?
Old 08-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
Mitch engraves your name into the plates ?
LOL. The redesigned part just hit the website end of week before last. The first 14 or something like that people to order got their names engraved for free. I think I ordered the first day they were available so I was lucky. If I'd been thinking clearly I would have had him engrave "Drake" or "Truhe" onto it and sold it for enough to buy 5 of them with no name, ha ha ha. He was talking about adding the engraving as an additional service, don't know what he finally decided.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by cjtamu
LOL. The redesigned part just hit the website end of week before last. The first 14 or something like that people to order got their names engraved for free. I think I ordered the first day they were available so I was lucky. If I'd been thinking clearly I would have had him engrave "Drake" or "Truhe" onto it and sold it for enough to buy 5 of them with no name, ha ha ha. He was talking about adding the engraving as an additional service, don't know what he finally decided.

cool.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LVBaja
Sounds like I made the right choice. It's funny how many months of racing it takes to work the bugs out of a new brand of car and find/fix its weak spots. Now if my fuel tank splitting issues go away with the installation of the Mugen MBX5R tank I bought, I should actually be able to concentrate on driving this Saturday instead of worrying about what's going to break next on my car.
Well, the KHZ hinge pin retainers did the trick. No issues at all the entire weekend. Our local race was cancelled, so several of us headed to round 5 of the JBRL Series in California. It was held at Thunder Alley R/C Raceway and the track was awesome! A real treat for us Vegas guys that are used to dry, dusty, rocky conditions.