Wiki Posts
Search

Soft case V hard case lipos?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Soft case V hard case lipos?

Is a soft case bad to use in a 1/8 car? Whats the diffrence, and why are some hard cased? Do soft cases break easier, etc etc? Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Soft Case=no case. Just the foil and shrink wrap around the cells/pack. the hard case is the same thing, but with a hard plastic shell or carbon fiber shell around it to protect it. I would prefer hard case, to withsatnd 1/8 abuse. However, they weigh more and are limited in available configuriation.

My solution:

Order some cheap Turnigy packs from Hobbyking. $100 for two 6s packs! If one fails, oh well. $50 aint that bad. And in my experience Turnigy packs perform great. I also use foam on the bottom of my battery tray to help with impacts.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ive seen quite a few people running soft cases in E1/8th.

Not sure id recommend it though as any kind of problem, including flying debris (shattered gears, etc) have an increased chance to puncture the soft case. Depending on what you have of course. Seems like most E8 have gears spinning rite next to the battery...

Hard case provides a little extra insurance. I run hard case in my stuff simply because our tracks like to see it.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Muggydude
Soft Case=no case. Just the foil and shrink wrap around the cells/pack. the hard case is the same thing, but with a hard plastic shell or carbon fiber shell around it to protect it. I would prefer hard case, to withsatnd 1/8 abuse. However, they weigh more and are limited in available configuriation.

My solution:

Order some cheap Turnigy packs from Hobbyking. $100 for two 6s packs! If one fails, oh well. $50 aint that bad. And in my experience Turnigy packs perform great. I also use foam on the bottom of my battery tray to help with impacts.
IDK about 6s lol im ordering some turnigy 4s 4500 hard case. But i see they have some good soft cases and more to choose from. If someone wanted to couldnt they just put a lil thicker plastic around it? I dont see a diffrence how inpact on a hard case is less then soft, when both are strapped and not bobbling around in the tray? Also the foam is a good idea im ganna doo that.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

No real benefit to hard cases unless your tracks require it.

The theory is that hard cases will protect the cells. As long as your soft cases are secured properly in the battery box, I don't see any benefits to the hard case.

I actually don't like hard cases because I can't see and feel how my lipos are reacting. Lipos puff and get soft when they are going bad. You can't tell or see this happening very well with hard cases.

Plane and Heli guys have been using soft cases for years with no issues. They don't seem to have a problem with soft lipos in plane/heli crashes... i doubt our crashes are much worse.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Edumakated
No real benefit to hard cases unless your tracks require it.

The theory is that hard cases will protect the cells. As long as your soft cases are secured properly in the battery box, I don't see any benefits to the hard case.

I actually don't like hard cases because I can't see and feel how my lipos are reacting. Lipos puff and get soft when they are going bad. You can't tell or see this happening very well with hard cases.

Plane and Heli guys have been using soft cases for years with no issues. They don't seem to have a problem with soft lipos in plane/heli crashes... i doubt our crashes are much worse.
Exactly my thoughts. I use to have a venom 2s hard case and it cought fire on me. Never knew because i seen no puffing or anything. Also i agree on if its secure theres no diffrence. Now how may i go about riggind up a lil case to covor the lipo as its in the car though? To keep debree, and stray objects hitting the lipo? Maybe lexan from a body????
Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

No there isn't wrong with running soft packs. The issue you run into is when you go to sanctioned races you will need to run ROAR approved packs.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I run soft case Lipos and hardcase lipos in my 8th scale. I have yet to have a problem with a softcase lipo. One is puffed, but I noticed immediately and was able to dispose of it.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BuggyKing
No there isn't wrong with running soft packs. The issue you run into is when you go to sanctioned races you will need to run ROAR approved packs.
I dont plan on running ROAR at all. To many rules and takes fun out of racing. No disrespect to any roar racers or members but i just dont agree on how they go by running races. My buggy is mainly for club racing, jbrl, and a few other races here and there like losi rev series etc. Nothing real big.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have always run softcase lipos and have never had a problem due to the softcase. Both lipo fires I have witnessed were due to over charging and actually both were hard case lipos. Losi left me with a bad taste in my mouth with their first hardcase lipo. My friend had one and and after a couple runs we could hear the cells clunking around inside the case. Eventually, one of the balance tap wires broke so we decided to open it up and fix it. When we got inside we discovered that there was no padding of any kind around the cells and there was no strain relief for any of the wires. At least with softcase lipos I use velcro and other padding to protect it from the battery tray. That Losi hard case had nothing! So what if you hold the hard case securely down to the battery tray, the cells are still flopping around inside a hard plastic case!

For these reasons and the reasons mentioned by Edumakated, I don't see hard cases being any better than soft cases. In fact, due to not being able to inspect the cells, I feel that hard cases are more dangerous. I can tell if a pack is starting to die just by the feel of the cells after a run. Long before they puff up big enough to crack a case, they will feel soft and squishy.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

6s 1400kv, low motor, high voltage. I used to run 4s 2050kv, but genereally it seems that this will produce a more efficient and cooler setup.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kufman
I have always run softcase lipos and have never had a problem due to the softcase. Both lipo fires I have witnessed were due to over charging and actually both were hard case lipos. Losi left me with a bad taste in my mouth with their first hardcase lipo. My friend had one and and after a couple runs we could hear the cells clunking around inside the case. Eventually, one of the balance tap wires broke so we decided to open it up and fix it. When we got inside we discovered that there was no padding of any kind around the cells and there was no strain relief for any of the wires. At least with softcase lipos I use velcro and other padding to protect it from the battery tray. That Losi hard case had nothing! So what if you hold the hard case securely down to the battery tray, the cells are still flopping around inside a hard plastic case!

For these reasons and the reasons mentioned by Edumakated, I don't see hard cases being any better than soft cases. In fact, due to not being able to inspect the cells, I feel that hard cases are more dangerous. I can tell if a pack is starting to die just by the feel of the cells after a run. Long before they puff up big enough to crack a case, they will feel soft and squishy.
I now am thinking soft lol. Really do you need protection like foam or velcro thou when ur using straps?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
I now am thinking soft lol. Really do you need protection like foam or velcro thou when ur using straps?
I use foam if the battery does not fill the tray, and some inside the front face of the battery tray. I'm using a small 5S 2200 mAh softcase lipo in a large RCM battery tray in my Serpent 811 conversion. I used some stiff open cell foam to fill in the extra space.
It's a really good idea, bordering on a Commandment of E-scale, to velcro the battery into the tray. This keeps the lipo from slamming forward into the battery tray when (not if) you case that big triple or quad. Velcro straps only hold the battery into the tray, they don't hold it in place front to back.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have the rc product design conversion on my rc8, its nice cause the battery tray is long, I can space battery according to where I need the traction with foam spacers. I have ran soft turnigy's for about a year now with no problems. Never thought about swelling part, BIG advantage.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
If you are talking about the V4 you own, you probably don't need much foam or velcro, although it never hurts. The 3 strap system that Tekno uses works pretty darn good. Trays like the ones from RC-Monster, RCPD, Losi, etc. just use the straps to hold the battery down and they don't prevent the battery from shifting front to back. The Tekno tray does if you pack is the correct length for the front to back strap.