Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Turmoil Pro durability:  Better than 8ight? >

Turmoil Pro durability: Better than 8ight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turmoil Pro durability: Better than 8ight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Turmoil Pro durability: Better than 8ight?

1st post, go easy on me. I'm looking to do some club racing, been out of the hobby for a few years. My primary concern is getting a buggy I can run every weekend and not have to buy replacement parts every other weekend due to wear, developing slop etc. I originally wanted an 8ight but have since learned these wear out quickly and develop slop. The obvious choice is the bullet-proof Mugen 5R but it carries a hefty price tag.

I can get a brand new Turmoil Pro with .21/pipe for $325 locally as they're trying to move it. Will this buggy wear as quickly as the 8ight? I would think it might have the same durability since it's essentially made by the same company? It looks to be built like a tank when I sat it side by side to the Losi. Does the Turmoil Pro develop slop as badly as the 8ight?

Finally, I've heard it's not nearly as competitive as the 8ight's, Mugen's and K cars. Given I will be doing club racing, how noticeable with the difference be? I'm not looking to win everything but I'd like to be somewhat competitve. It's hard to overlook this Turmoil as it will save me approximately $450 right off the bat.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated, thank you!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A Jammin' is pretty bulletproof. Take a look at the Hyper 8.5 too.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

turmoil plastics are well designed, with perfection, xb8 or mugen way
and very strong
buggy is real lovely and drives very well

only weak spot: when landing the wrong way on the arms
they can shatter at the hingepoints holes
due to the design : arms are only supported at those hingepoints
not by all the lenght of the arm material, like other brands.....
and, ...it's time consuming to rebuild the suspensions, with those many little parts making the bulkheads
it's like a chinese puzzle with 15 parts
clipping together somehow, and inner C-clips being un reachable, so you have to rebuild all front or rear suspension..

diffs and gears never break or use
axles are 4 mm
no problems with C-rings or shocks

Last edited by speedy2; 10-08-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

i raced one of my buddys one day at the track and i was impressied with the car, and i dont think the losi is any better of a car i turned the fastest lap of the day with the turmoil and they were losi, mugens,cens and associated buggys there and i race with some fast guys i think driving skil come into play more with any car just my 2 cents i liked the turmoil.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink

I race all over the Texas area against some very fast drivers. All I can tell you is I was stunned by how good the Turmoil is. Guys that pick it up for their first car get around just fine and I have not heard one complaint about the buggies abilities. I saw one run at the Pro Series finals that abosolutely sold me. I picked it up and my lap times were just as fast as my Losi that I have been working on for the last 18 months.
They are a little harder to work on. They can be competitive. Parts are the same quality as the Losi and yes, they are made in the same place.
The motor in the pro is outstanding! Change the pipe!
If your LHS carries the parts then I will tell you it is hands down the best deal in the industry.
Go put a year on it. Get your feet wet. Drive it right and you will not have any problems. Don't be swayed by guys with highend cars. Stay upright and just go around them. After a year and some driving of other buddies cars, you can then make a decision if you want to go to a different chassis. Your goals are to have fun, finish races and then hunt for the front of the pack.
This car will do that for a chassis that cost you about $150 when you take out the cost of the motor.
Good luck and let us know what you think.
TEX
Old 03-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the replys! Sounds like the plastics are the same as the Losi, so safe to say it will develop the same slop as the 8ight? Will driveshafts, CVD’s etc wear as quick as the Losi also? If so, at least the entry fee is about a third of the Losi/Mugen etc.

Also, very important: I just read somewhere that Horizon will be stop making parts for the Turmoil, is this true? If so, this could impact my decision greatly.

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Addict

Turmoil is also quick and easy to work on, most people i have seen run them get on very well then switch to Losi 8 once they are confident with the mechanics of 1/8th.

In the right hands a turmoil can be competitive for sure, then so can any car of a reasonable quality.

It's a good learning platform for sure. Learn to drive smoothly and remember slow is fast, stay on the wheels and you will beat people with it

Stay upright and go round them is perfect advice!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default car is good

I drove the SportWerks car 1 year for Horizon. The car is real good and can be competitive on a regional level. I could not break the car it is a brute. The plastic last a long time and the CVC's last longer than any other brand I have drove.
I would not pass up the opertunity to get this car.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

I was actually thinking of getting one of these myself. Glad to see they have decent reviews. Our local hobby shop keeps plenty of parts for them so I dont think that would be an issue for me.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

I raced my sportwerks hard for 2 years. The only parts I replaced in that time where some shock shafts, one lower front arm and rear shocks recently because of wear. In fact, I won 2007 state champs with it
Old 03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

a friend of mine who is sponsored by horizon was running a tumoil for a bit, and did pretty well. but when he needed to push it just a little bit more, the car would break. he also had to modify it a ton to make it work half way decent. he now runs Losi under Horizon! Much more durable if you ask me.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

So what are the downsides to this buggy? What makes it hard to work on?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

So what are the downsides to this buggy? What makes it hard to work on?
It's older, and not likely to have good parts availability for much longer. It's not hard to work on, it just doesn't have the convenience features of the 8ight and other buggies.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

since it's being sold for 189.00 at amain says alot. they want to get rid of it as soon as possible. It's dated if you ask me
Old 03-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
since it's being sold for 189.00 at amain says alot. they want to get rid of it as soon as possible. It's dated if you ask me

Didn't they just come out with this in 2006? I know the Meyham was it's predecessor for a few years.

Are there any facts stating parts will be hard to get in the near future?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.