Take apart, clean, put back together.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

wd40
Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Didn't get a chance to clean it today because of Cinco de Mayo. Alcohol day.

If I have work tomorrow I won't be able to do it tomorrow either, but I'm hoping work doesn't call me to come in tomorrow so I can clean my stuff.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by yoshgixxer
what kind of car is it?
Losi XXXNT.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

Not to sound like a broken record, but pull radio tray and engine, simple green and a scrub brush. Lightly WD40 and wipe off excess. Also, I use a siphon sprayer with denatured alcohol to spray off my engine and radio tray. It won't hurt your electronics.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Everyone has there own way, you to will have one to. It comes with time

I carry a couple old paint brushes, one 2 inch stiff, and one 2 inch semi soft. Between rounds, I knock off the heavy stuff, then blow and brush off the small stuff. Also, carry a scrubbing brush for the tires. It makes for a quicker and cleaner, clean up once home.

Like others, I remove my electronics, engine / pipe. connect the pressure line to the fuel tank outlet. Then simple green and wash. Then reassemble.

When, between races, like our series races. I'll soak her down and wash, then take the diff's out / clean all the gears, bearings, check linkages. Replace anything for the next race.

The small parts and parts when cleaning in the sink or from the hose, I'll use a hair dryer on heat, to blow off and dry the parts. It makes for less time drying and I don't have to spray WD-40 on everything, just the parts I'm working with.

Good luck .. and stick with it... you'll be a pro in no time
Old 05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I personally use a wrag thats heavy duty, Nitro Clean, air compressor, and brushes of all sorts!!

Always worked for me!! I only spray wd40 into bearings and driveshafts. wd40 is a lubricant, Not a cleaner. Thats when Nitro Clean, air compressors, etc. come into play.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Initiate

I did what everyone pretty much told me to do and she looks so much better. The only problem is my throttle and brake linkage needs to me adjusted now. I screwed it all up. Lol. I start her up and she is already turning her wheels at 20+. Lol.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

take the arm off and center the servos first then put the arm back on where it was in the beginning.
Originally Posted by eighty2
I did what everyone pretty much told me to do and she looks so much better. The only problem is my throttle and brake linkage needs to me adjusted now. I screwed it all up. Lol. I start her up and she is already turning her wheels at 20+. Lol.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by roadracer43
take the arm off and center the servos first then put the arm back on where it was in the beginning.
I did that, and it still wants to go nuts. I start it and it wants to just go. Won't idle. I dunno what to do. Blah. This is a frustrating hobby. Lol.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I did that, and it still wants to go nuts. I start it and it wants to just go. Won't idle. I dunno what to do. Blah. This is a frustrating hobby. Lol.
Turn on your controller and let the servo center itself, then put on your throttle linkage making sure that the carburetor is fully closed.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Indeed however that's part of the fun. Try these:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7029

Those will make sure your carb is closed all the way up to the IDLE Screw.

Next, turn on your radio and center the tirm. then turn on your RX; followed by attaching your servo horn and then the throttle linkage.

Question, prior to cleaning was the truck able to idel before? Just currious because you make have to reset the needles, which is really easy.

Rudy Diaz
Old 05-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Deznuts05
Indeed however that's part of the fun. Try these:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7029

Those will make sure your carb is closed all the way up to the IDLE Screw.

Next, turn on your radio and center the tirm. then turn on your RX; followed by attaching your servo horn and then the throttle linkage.

Question, prior to cleaning was the truck able to idel before? Just currious because you make have to reset the needles, which is really easy.

Rudy Diaz
It did it but it wasn't as bad. Before the wheels spun to the point where when I put the wheels on the ground the car would barely move. Now if I dropped them, the car would take off at about 15 MPH. The carb isn't completely closed right now. Does it need to be completely closed to idle?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yes, it rests against the idle screw with just a tiny opening.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It did it but it wasn't as bad. Before the wheels spun to the point where when I put the wheels on the ground the car would barely move. Now if I dropped them, the car would take off at about 15 MPH. The carb isn't completely closed right now. Does it need to be completely closed to idle?
Well few things you'll want to look at.

1. Check idle gap on the carb. Check the motor manual as it will prescribe the appropriate setting. If you don't just post up the Make and model, I'm sure someone will know straight off the bat the proper setting.

2. You said it would spin the wheels on the starter box, that's the sign of the clutch engaging.

2.1 Check the following, Clutch shoes, Springs, Bearings and Clearance.
2.2 Since you're doing some spring cleaning it wouldn't hurt to either replace the wear items (shoes and springs) and refinish the clutch bell.

Post up if you still have Q's.
Rudy Diaz
Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Initiate

I still dunno what the deal is. The throttle is pretty much all the way closed, and it still wants to take off. I dunno what to do.

It is a Losi XXXNT with the stock engine and tranny. The only non-stock things are the a-arms, chassis, and the Traxxas EZ Start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.