Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default bad post sorry

k my last post was bad i look at keyboard when i type and not screen. anyways my motor is tuned good but my clutch saiad engaged all the time. using losi four shoe with all carbon shoes and gold springs. shoes are new. semi pro tuned motor on race day so it not idleing to hight he just did not have time too chek out clucth. i shimmed the clutch so there is about .03 thousand play front to back. sorry don;"t use metic i am a machist so i can do the math if u do. i heard losi clutch bell has lots of play do to the front beari8ng not fitting snug so i set gear mesh lose to comp for this nut the wheels will not stop spinnig dang it in netgive it brake and thrywill but then start spinning again..if u are by st.loouids i can pay for some help need it asap adn have money now just want the buggy too run right plealse help
Old 06-02-2008, 02:30 AM
Tech Master

Does the clutch bell turn freely and the wheels spin when the motors stopped without trying to turn over the motor ? If so the motor's running to fast @ idle no question IMO.

Dumb question, But your sure your throttle is set right on the transmitter and not a little on throttle ?

End play in the clutch bell should be around .5mm, but again more not less if necessary.

Rod
Old 06-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face My pics are too big.....

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
Hey tex

I've been looking back through all your posts and can't seem to find the pics of your front end mods, is there any chance you could repost them for us as I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in a good look at them

Thanks Adrian
All of my stuff is packed and being shipped to the Nats. I need to take some new pics because my others are to big to post on here. I did pack my camera as well.
Actually if you look at the new 808 front arms on their website, the front of their arms are cut back 4mm and they use shims to hold the arm where they want it. This is basically what I did to mine. It almost looks identical. I put the 3mm Xray shim in the back of the arm and it gives you instant front end clearance.
I'll take some more pics.
Take care,
TEX
Old 06-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
Larry,
It will not have the magic of the other gearing. For a given wheel speed through the corners, you will not have the same center diff velocity. When you try to accelerate you have to spin the centr diff back up. This loads your motor and causes you burn the fuel and will actually slow you down. The magic is not in the math... it is in the fact that your motor does not have to stuggle to make the car accelerate.
The better you get at carrying your speed, the harder this will seem to hit.
Anyways, I hope this will clear it up a little for you.
Watch an Associated or 808 run and ask the guy about the acceleration of the buggy they are driving.
Go from there.
Hope this helps,
TEX
...magic. lol.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any M4 screw should work for that JP-3 pipe. Use a little Loctite and notch your mounting bar so it cant ride up and down when it is tight.
TEX
Will I be able to find one at Home Depot, etc?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mixedguy
k my last post was bad i look at keyboard when i type and not screen. anyways my motor is tuned good but my clutch saiad engaged all the time. using losi four shoe with all carbon shoes and gold springs. shoes are new. semi pro tuned motor on race day so it not idleing to hight he just did not have time too chek out clucth. i shimmed the clutch so there is about .03 thousand play front to back. sorry don;"t use metic i am a machist so i can do the math if u do. i heard losi clutch bell has lots of play do to the front beari8ng not fitting snug so i set gear mesh lose to comp for this nut the wheels will not stop spinnig dang it in netgive it brake and thrywill but then start spinning again..if u are by st.loouids i can pay for some help need it asap adn have money now just want the buggy too run right plealse help
So does the engine shut off when you apply the brakes or stopping the wheels from turning? If yes, then it is your clutch. If not, then it is too high an idle.

Clutch shoes on backward? Clutch bell touching the flywheel?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default clutch

the motor does not die when i apply brakes. new to nitro so i could have put the shoes on backward wich way do they go on?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default clutch

if i shim the clutch for more play the bell rubs on the flywheel. is there any other bells that will work on a losi flywheel the bell is has sloppy play in front bearing tryed new losi bell and bearing same thing
Old 06-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Put the shims behind the bigger 5x13x4mm clutch bearing this will move the clutch bell away from the flywheel and give it clearance so it won't rub.

Here is a picture I found of a 3 shoe clutch, even though the Losi's is a 4 shoe the shoes point in the same direction.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-underhood29.jpg  
Old 06-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I just bought am 8ight buggy yesterday and am having problems getting the losi clutch to stack up right. To be more specific once the flywheel and clutch has been installed on the crankshaft of my v-spec, the crank does not protrude from the outer bearing. I used a special bushing insert that ofna makes in one of there shim kits but by the time I put a screw over the crankshaft to hold everything together it hits the fuel tank. I really want to make my car work with the losi clutch. I am pretty sure this has been discussed before but I am new to the losi camp I can take some pics tonight if necessary. Any ideas?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

All of my stuff is packed and being shipped to the Nats. I need to take some new pics because my others are to big to post on here. I did pack my camera as well.
Actually if you look at the new 808 front arms on their website, the front of their arms are cut back 4mm and they use shims to hold the arm where they want it. This is basically what I did to mine. It almost looks identical. I put the 3mm Xray shim in the back of the arm and it gives you instant front end clearance.
I'll take some more pics.
Take care,
TEX
Good Luck at the Nats
Old 06-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpz_67
I just bought am 8ight buggy yesterday and am having problems getting the losi clutch to stack up right. To be more specific once the flywheel and clutch has been installed on the crankshaft of my v-spec, the crank does not protrude from the outer bearing. I used a special bushing insert that ofna makes in one of there shim kits but by the time I put a screw over the crankshaft to hold everything together it hits the fuel tank. I really want to make my car work with the losi clutch. I am pretty sure this has been discussed before but I am new to the losi camp I can take some pics tonight if necessary. Any ideas?
You have to use the Losi washer that comes with the clutch. Part number LOSA9104
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-losa9104.jpg  
Old 06-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up Goint to have fun....

Originally Posted by cota348
Good Luck at the Nats
Thanks Alot.
TEX
Old 06-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hey i am going to replace the pins in my front drive shaft, what is the mugen or x-ray part number....

thanks

MAtt
Old 06-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mixedguy
the motor does not die when i apply brakes. new to nitro so i could have put the shoes on backward wich way do they go on?
I would say then it is not a clutch problem. Either your idle is too high or something. So if the engine is running, with wheels off the ground, are they spinning? How much? A little is ok if the idle is a little fast. If it does not die when the drivetrain stops, then the clutch is dis-engaging correctly. Hope you figure it out. Give us some more details and everyone here should be able to figure it out.

Look at the manual for the clutch shoe orientation to be sure you have them on the correct way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.