Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ofna ultra lx one starter buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default ofna ultra lx one starter buggy?

After racing vta carpet I'm gonna try my hand at Nitro offroad racing. I'm not sure what buggy to start with but I was looking around and it looks like I can get a ofna ultra lx one for cheap. I don't know a whole lot about them. I have experience with Nitro tuneing so that's not a problem I'm just looking for something that can compete till I get more experience then move on to bigger better ones. What are the postives and negatives to this buggy.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 PM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
After racing vta carpet I'm gonna try my hand at Nitro offroad racing. I'm not sure what buggy to start with but I was looking around and it looks like I can get a ofna ultra lx one for cheap. I don't know a whole lot about them. I have experience with Nitro tuneing so that's not a problem I'm just looking for something that can compete till I get more experience then move on to bigger better ones. What are the postives and negatives to this buggy.
The lx is on the heavy side which could be good in some cases. It gives it better stability. Its a little outdated as far as setup options (toe in, camber,etc.) Just add some good servos and some quality tires and that should get you started. Other than that the car is a tank and it should last a good season.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One other thing. The diff. gears wear out fast so get the hardened ones. They'll let you run the .28 for a little while, but buy time it's done you'll be ready for a good one. Still good part suport at Nitrohouse.com.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Get a used mugen Mbx5/r you'll wear nothing out except the motor. Built to last and REALLY cheap used. You'll be way ahead. I tried the LX too and was always fixing it.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Hmmm... so... do you already have a good radio? If so, you might consider spending a bit more and building a decent kit. (If NOT, you might consider the Losi 8ight RTR)

1/8 scale nitro is not a cheap hobby... and if you buy cheap to begin with, you'll just spend the same money twice. (I had to learn the hard way too... bought something similar for my first nitro car... bad choice!)
Old 06-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Hmmm... so... do you already have a good radio? If so, you might consider spending a bit more and building a decent kit. (If NOT, you might consider the Losi 8ight RTR)

1/8 scale nitro is not a cheap hobby... and if you buy cheap to begin with, you'll just spend the same money twice. (I had to learn the hard way too... bought something similar for my first nitro car... bad choice!)
I have a spektrum DX3S and I see alot of these buggys come with the raido so I don't need the extra cost for something I already have
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
I have a spektrum DX3S and I see alot of these buggys come with the raido so I don't need the extra cost for something I already have
My thoughts exactly... you already have a good radio... the same one the Losi has and better than the one that comes with any of the RTR buggies.

A couple of things to think about now:

1) NO RTR (not even the Losi, which is light years ahead of everyone else in what they DO provide overall) has decent servos. Whatever you buy, you are going to end up replacing one if not both servos in a very short time. Plan that as part of your cost if you do buy an RTR.

2) WHEN the pullstart/rotostart fails (notice I didn't say "IF the pullstart/rotostart fails?") you'll end up replacing those parts... repeatedly... until you get frustrated and buy a starter box.

So... realistically, those costs are STILL part of th cost of the RTR car. Are you with me so far?

Now... you can spend about $300 on the out-of-date, NOT COMPETITIVE, hard-to-get-parts for RTR... or spend a little more and get a good kit, or even an RTR that is a better platform. The Hot Bodies D8 is the least expensive of the competitive kits, at $290... + the cost of the parts listed above, + an engine and pipe.

The Losi is still a good deal for you... $699 currently on A-main... and you can sell the radio (the same one you have) for a decent price... add a better steering servo (figure $100-120) and move the steering servo to throttle servo duty. It comes with a starter box, a decent engine, etc...

Note that I'm NOT a Losi "Fanboi." I don't own a Losi (although I have in the past) but they have really raised the bar on RTR buggies. There are some differences that you can upgrade as you go on... but overall it is a great deal and competitive out of the box.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I had the exact same thoughts you did when I bought an Ultra LX-1 2 years ago. I was new to 1/8th scale buggy racing and wanted to get in cheap. I already had a radio and servos, and the $280 price tag got me in. Everyone at my local track was telling me to get a race buggy from the get go, but I didn't listen. I wish I had listened to them. After a couple of race weekends, about 4 diff ring gears (as Working Man said) and a couple of test drives with a friend's Losi 8ight, I had to get a better buggy.

Long story short, 1/8th scale equipment is very durable and can take the abuse of a new racer. If you plan on racing, get a better buggy to start with. Losi, AE, Hot Bodies, Mugen, etc.