Search
Like Tree18Likes

Drag brake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Exclamation Drag brake?

Pro and cons? I hear different things. I notice using it I am significantly faster using it, but when getting into racing last year I was told to stay away from it. Are you guys using drag break why or why not and what class? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sorry for putting unnecessary weight on your post.
but I appreciate if you could add the definition of it as well.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I use no drag brakes in Blinky and 15%-20% in Non-Blinky classes. Drag brakes slows down your forward momentum and may affect your corning speed, which is not ideal for Blinky.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Emaculant
Pro and cons? I hear different things. I notice using it I am significantly faster using it, but when getting into racing last year I was told to stay away from it. Are you guys using drag break why or why not and what class? Thanks.
Depends on the track...

Some tracks are better others need more free roll and its a compromise you make whether there are more or less corners to hold throttle and others that demand more physical braking..
Old 02-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

drag brakes when off throttle, or only when you apply brakes?

Like others have said, if you have drag brakes when off throttle, they reduces momentum when cornering and might affect overall times.

If you set it to drag brake only when you apply brakes then that might have its uses esp for pan cars. Its pretty hard for cars with solid rear axles to stop on a dim after the long back straight without spinning. Drag brakes will help you slow down without locking up the wheels and prevent spinning
Old 02-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aackjw
Sorry for putting unnecessary weight on your post.
but I appreciate if you could add the definition of it as well.
I'll fill this in: Drag brake= the amount of brake automatically applied when the throttle is at neutral.

While we're on the subject.... Initial brake (aka minimum brake)=the amount of brake when you begin to push the trigger forward. Many times you may see "Initial brake=drag brake" in esc settings. This simply means the braking force will progress from the level the drag brake is set.

Drag brake will help "set" the front end when you release the throttle by transferring extra weight forward so the car turns in harder. This can be helpful in blinky classes as you can have a very mellow handling car but just releasing the throttle going into a tight corner will help it turn in aggressively.

In faster classes, drag brake is more often used as a driver aid in lieu of physically pushing the brake trigger forward. Just like mashing the throttle, not using the brake smoothly and consistently will get the car out of shape. Drag brake gives 100% consistent brake action every time you release the gas.

You can't really label it with pros and cons. Just personal preference. Running with or without will either require a small setup change or change in driving technique. Test it both ways and make your own decision. And remember, don't just go by your fastest lap, better consistency is almost certain to be faster.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

I have been using drag brake for 20 years... It always helps with corner entry as I find regular brake is less consistent.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

Interesting answers so far some racers made it seem taboo to use it.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

That's only because some sees it as a driving "aid", where others sees it as a tuning option.

It is just like using negative expo on steering. Is that a driving aid or tuning option?

Or like epa adjustment on braking (determine brake force). Is that a driving aid or tuning option?

Concerning drag brake, I have read somewhere that many mod drivers use it simply because it allows them to brake faster.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Spec classes - Don't use it... Use of push brake is preferred, as the transition between drag brake and part throttle tends to be somewhat abrupt, and could upset the car coming out of corners.
Mod/Open Classes - drag brake makes the car easier to drive, but still requires use of push brakes to make corners successfully.

Skillful use of the brakes separates the good drivers from the great ones - the only way to truly master braking is to practice your push-braking technique at every opportunity. Using drag brake as a crutch will only serve to slow your overall progress as a driver.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

In the ETS, the top blinky drivers (13.5) all use drag brakes.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
Spec classes - Don't use it... Use of push brake is preferred, as the transition between drag brake and part throttle tends to be somewhat abrupt, and could upset the car coming out of corners.
Mod/Open Classes - drag brake makes the car easier to drive, but still requires use of push brakes to make corners successfully.

Skillful use of the brakes separates the good drivers from the great ones - the only way to truly master braking is to practice your push-braking technique at every opportunity. Using drag brake as a crutch will only serve to slow your overall progress as a driver.
I totally disagree with this, respectfully. I mainly race off road, 17.5 buggy and I use 40% drag brake, in my wheeler I use 10%, it makes jumps a lot harder because you have to control the car mid air to keep from nosing over, but in faster corners I dont even use the brake, I just let off and allow the drag brake to do the work, it really helped with my consistency. I am going to be playing with it in my 17.5 TC as well as my VTA car once I get more practice time at the track and 1/8th buggy as soon as it warms up around here. It is a very useful tool for tuning, call it lazy if you want but I think it is just another tool in the tool box that you can use if the conditions call for it. You would never remove engine braking from a real car in real racing, why would you in R/C?
Old 02-23-2015, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

I say try it out and see what you like then make your own judgement call. There is no pros and cons.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:04 AM
Tech Regular

I use drag brake but I also use a front one way so smooth and consistent braking is even more important for not spinning out.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

I never use it. DB always unsettled the car (on or off road) when I didn't want it to. With DB, you never get the option of a neutral off-power roll, whether in a corner, trying to avoid an accident, or what ever. You're either pounding the rear tires, or throwing all the weight forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.