Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Mini Monster Truck for starter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Mini Monster Truck for starter

Hey Guys so i want to get a new mini monster truck, and i been doing research for this couple of days. I want to know if i should get a Rival 1:18 Monster Truck from Team Associated or should i get a Turnigy 1/18 4WD Mini Stadium Truck from Hobbyking? Thanks!
Old 09-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NixZ
Hey Guys so i want to get a new mini monster truck, and i been doing research for this couple of days. I want to know if i should get a Rival 1:18 Monster Truck from Team Associated or should i get a Turnigy 1/18 4WD Mini Stadium Truck from Hobbyking? Thanks!
What's your budget? If you can push it to $180 I'd recommend you buy the Tacon Valor/LC Racing EMB-MTH. brushless, a 1/14 scale (alittle bigger than 1/18), and very tough.

If you want to stick to 1/18 scale, I'd go for the latrax Teton. They're tough and now come with metal diffs. For upgrades, I'd get a brushless system, a better servo, and better shocks.
NixZ likes this.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My son has a mini e revo with Gravedigger 1-16 wheels and walmart body, stock brushless system and 2s battery that does a back flip with the slipper clutch set properly. We loosen it up for a more civilized set up. Shim the diffs! Or it will die very fast, otherwise we have only broken 3 parts in the last year.
NixZ likes this.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The Associated minis are too small.

The Traxxas 1/16 Revo is junk.

I'd also suggest something bigger like the Tacon or the Losi Mini 8IGHT-T if you insist on a mini.

But honestly you're better off getting a Traxxas Slash or Stamped 1/10 scale.
NixZ likes this.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your budget allows it, Mini-Revo VXL is pretty great. I've beat mine to hell and back and it keeps on going. It's the ultimate basher. Also, if you plan on getting different wheels, 1/10 rear buggy wheels work great on it for aftermarket wheels. I'd also recommend RPM A-Arms as an upgrade.

Plus lots of other aftermarket hop-ups for it.

I've owned the Team Associated 1:18 MT and it was a lot smaller in comparison to my Mini Revo and wasn't all that capable at much but it was still a fun truck/car (I ended up turning it into a RC18B for parking lot fun.) What the MT18 had trouble getting through, the Mini Revo drove through no problem.
NixZ likes this.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by noel02
What's your budget? If you can push it to $180 I'd recommend you buy the Tacon Valor/LC Racing EMB-MTH. brushless, a 1/14 scale (alittle bigger than 1/18), and very tough.

If you want to stick to 1/18 scale, I'd go for the latrax Teton. They're tough and now come with metal diffs. For upgrades, I'd get a brushless system, a better servo, and better shocks.
hmmm cause i got 150 budget plan to get some spare parts worry i will need replacements when i need it....A-arms or whatever easy to break...mabe i should push to 180
Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
The Associated minis are too small.

The Traxxas 1/16 Revo is junk.

I'd also suggest something bigger like the Tacon or the Losi Mini 8IGHT-T if you insist on a mini.

But honestly you're better off getting a Traxxas Slash or Stamped 1/10 scale.
Traxxas is too expensive at the moment i think they are worth for dollars.. all there video were crazy... all that loops and jumps
Old 09-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Shadow Fox
If your budget allows it, Mini-Revo VXL is pretty great. I've beat mine to hell and back and it keeps on going. It's the ultimate basher. Also, if you plan on getting different wheels, 1/10 rear buggy wheels work great on it for aftermarket wheels. I'd also recommend RPM A-Arms as an upgrade.

Plus lots of other aftermarket hop-ups for it.

I've owned the Team Associated 1:18 MT and it was a lot smaller in comparison to my Mini Revo and wasn't all that capable at much but it was still a fun truck/car (I ended up turning it into a RC18B for parking lot fun.) What the MT18 had trouble getting through, the Mini Revo drove through no problem.
it way too out of my budget but maybe i should save up for it instead
Old 09-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

it way too out of my budget but maybe i should save up for it instead
I wouldn't buy the MERV. From what I've read, owners aren't very happy with them. They need way to many upgrades, are complicated to work on, and cost more than it's competition.
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Between the two you posted the Mini Rival is hands down a better vehicle than anything made by Turnigy or Hobbyking.

Stay far far away from the Mini E-Revo, I had over $500 in mine and it was still a big pos. I was constantly replacing something on it. You will find probably 1 in 10 people who actually like it.

I agree with noel, get the Tacon, sure there aren't many upgrade or aftermarket parts for them but the thing is they aren't needed. There tons and tons of threads on those LC Racing/Tacon minis, early on they had weak steering knuckles but that problem has since been fixed.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Traxxas is too expensive at the moment i think they are worth for dollars.. all there video were crazy... all that loops and jumps
You can get a brushed Traxxas Slash for $200. That's not expensive.

A mini RC will leave you wanting more unless you're ONLY driving it inside. They are simply too small for the rough terrain of the outdoors.

The 1/16th scale Traxxas vehicles (Revo and Slash) are garbage. Do research. They have lots of problems. Even JANG from URC had a big write up about how it was one of the worst RCs ever. Anybody that tells you different just doesn't want to admit they wasted their money. I sold mine soon after I bought it and I was happy to wash my hands of it.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:59 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I wouldn't buy the MERV. From what I've read, owners aren't very happy with them. They need way to many upgrades, are complicated to work on, and cost more than it's competition.
It can actually be a good vehicle. I don't recommend them. Big problem is we try to use them the same as the bigger vehicles.

While I'm little hesitant to suggest an Hpi vehicle. There is the SavageXS. It's 1/12 but using 1/10 battery/electronics. It's around $300. 1/18 is a fun vehicle in right sized area. But its size will really limit where it can be used.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
You can get a brushed Traxxas Slash for $200. That's not expensive.

A mini RC will leave you wanting more unless you're ONLY driving it inside. They are simply too small for the rough terrain of the outdoors.

The 1/16th scale Traxxas vehicles (Revo and Slash) are garbage. Do research. They have lots of problems. Even JANG from URC had a big write up about how it was one of the worst RCs ever. Anybody that tells you different just doesn't want to admit they wasted their money. I sold mine soon after I bought it and I was happy to wash my hands of it.
You can't drive minis inside. They're too big.

A 1/14 truggy can definitely handle off-road. Basically any mini with 85mm+ tall tires can handle parks, neighborhoods, dirt fields, and 1/10 tracks. That means the MERV, 1/14 truggies, the savage can, 1/14 Monster trucks, etc.. 1/18s are a different story though

I'd rather get a brushless, durable mini that handles great than a $200 brushed slash.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

I agree with noel02, with the monster truck tires you can drive over a lot more terrain like rocks, grass, landscape bark. Of course it still can't handle rough terrain the way a larger vehicle can. If you want to be able to go over anything get an Arrma Kraton.

The 1/14 scale RCs from Losi and LC Racing are made like and from the same material as the larger race grade vehicles. They're the best quality you can get in the mini market. The Savage XS is a good one too from what I've read but it's almost twice the price.

You can get a brushless Tacon Soar for $165. Either right away or down the road you can get a few parts to make it into a monster truck and then you'll have two different types of vehicles for less than you can buy a Savage XS or a brushless MERV.
1/14th Tacon Soar Buggy Brushless Ready to Run RC Remote Control Radio Car

The one negative of the Tacon vehicles is the RTR body is PVC and will start to break up within the first battery pack. You'll need to get a clear lexan body then it will be good. That's why I mentioned the Soar. If you get the Valor you still need to pick up a clear body. The RTR Soar body tends to last longer because of where it sits on the chassis.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

You can't drive minis inside. They're too big.

A 1/14 truggy can definitely handle off-road. Basically any mini with 85mm+ tall tires can handle parks, neighborhoods, dirt fields, and 1/10 tracks. That means the MERV, 1/14 truggies, the savage can, 1/14 Monster trucks, etc.. 1/18s are a different story though

I'd rather get a brushless, durable mini that handles great than a $200 brushed slash.
My basement is plenty big for a mini track. YMMV.

Even 1/14 are not great off road. A groomed track is different. But they are not good for real world off-road. A 1/14 truggy is better than a buggy or SCT, but still not ideal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.