Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rinolino
Going back to what were talking about weight, nobody here mentioned anything about adding weight to any car, I have no experience what so ever in this class and I didnt even know that the Kyosho were a lot lighter, if so why dont we take the weight of the kyosho as the minimum weight ??
I believe nobody here is trying to take advantage of any kind I do think the class has great potential and its not being optimized since for what I remember a year ago they couldnt keep the class in the florida state series because the few racers didnt showed up for one of the races and the class was cancelled. I believe the GTs can be proposed for the next season to the Forgass commitee at the sour grapes, always that we show them we are well organized and have some kind of rules, I have already 3 experienced racers for this class that are willing to participate in the state series. I will appreciate any possitive input, since I believe everybody here has one goal in common and its to make this class grow leaving behind any personal or commercial interest.

Rino Lino
Rino,

If you want a lesson on GT racing history and its acceptance in the Florida State series, you'll need to speak to the 2 sides. Those that wanted it to be included and those that didn't. Attendence levels got worse as the schedule went on because of the lack of "love" for the GT class shown by some of the Series' racers that didn't want us taking up track time.

Maybe we should leave it at that, unless you really need me to thow individuals under the bus on this thread for all to read. Its all about politics, lol

I look forward to running on the great tracks of Florida with my GT again, if not.... Next Stop Victor's track in Mexico!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
I look forward to running on the great tracks of Florida with my GT again, if not.... Next Stop Victor's track in Mexico!
You need to head North at the end of August for the GLC.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
More traction

Jeff bro ... when you think your GT Body will be available to buy one ? ... im dying to test it on long chassis ...

thanks
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Looks like I need to take a trip to Mexico City.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rinolino
why dont we take the weight of the kyosho as the minimum weight ??
I remember a year ago they couldnt keep the class in the florida state series because the few racers didnt showed up for one of the races and the class was cancelled.

Rino Lino
That makes sense. I think Jeff was worried that some people involved in the discussion were leaning towards picking a weight in the middle, which isn't necessary and would require drivers of the lighter *stock* cars to add weight. That's not typically how the rules are established. I'm the Chairman of the ROAR Fuel Committee, and I'm already writing provisional rules for the class, and that is how it's currently written.

Part of the reason the GT class hasn't prospered in the 1/8 on-road community has been snobery on some level, to be quite honest. There are a lot of great guys in 1/8 on-road that I've race with, but like the 1/10 touring cars when they were first introduced, the 1/8 racers and some clubs wanted nothing to do with them. The drivers were regularly faced with comments that their cars are toys and don't belong on the track, etc. Some clubs and tracks reluctantly accepted them, but the owners of the 1/10 cars and surely the GT cars don't want to race where they're insulted and looked down upon. That's been at least part of the reason that GT racing isn't more popular at some existing tracks. But, I view this as a good thing.

I'd rather GT racing take a different tack, and create a following of its own. I've even discussed creating rules for a 1/10 GT class using many of the existing 1/10 shaft-drive cars. I envision that they would only be allowed to run rubber tires (spec tires), shaft drive, and GT bodies. These would be a great second class for the GT fans and it would get rid of all the negative elements of the current 1/10 touring cars that developed over the years. Plus, they'd both be on rubber tires, which run better on clean asphalt than a VHT prepared track. Just some ideas, but I think there is a lot of room to grow classes like this.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Nobody cares for legal and sanctioned rules.That's all political stuff.
Let the sanctioning bodies race those rules.

What we want is a nice and fair guideline to race these 1/8 scale beast..

Last edited by Timmo; 03-24-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveP
I'd rather GT racing take a different tack, and create a following of its own. I've even discussed creating rules for a 1/10 GT class using many of the existing 1/10 shaft-drive cars. I envision that they would only be allowed to run rubber tires (spec tires), shaft drive, and GT bodies. These would be a great second class for the GT fans and it would get rid of all the negative elements of the current 1/10 touring cars that developed over the years. Plus, they'd both be on rubber tires, which run better on clean asphalt than a VHT prepared track. Just some ideas, but I think there is a lot of room to grow classes like this.
+1000 Steve. Great idea. In fact, I vote to call you the GT Prophet :-)
Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rpespo
+1

I don't care if they are faster, I don't want to drive a doorstop!
ROFL.. Rich that was awesome and you're so RIGHT. +1 to that.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Timmo
Nobody cares for legal and sanctioned rules.That's all political stuff.
Let the sanctioning bodies race those rules.

What we want is a nice and fair guideline to race these 1/8 scale beast..
Did you even READ anything I wrote, or did the lemming in your come out the second you saw the word ROAR? You have no idea what I'm proposing, the reason I'm proposing it, or the background I already have in GT racing and the hobby in general for decades. So out of everything I DID say, all you can muster is some small-minded crap about the process being "political" and, BTW, a process which you know NOTHING about?

I've been in discussion with Jeff from the beginning about his race and the rules for it, so you've already unwittingly raced under many of the same rules that will be included in the ROAR proposal. Do you feel dirty now? If you have any interest in raising your maturity level high enough to have a civilized discussion and offer some intelligent feedback, then great. But if you're going to whine like a petulant little kid who is desperate to be part of the herd, then you can count me as one that would rather you not post.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Raman
+1000 Steve. Great idea. In fact, I vote to call you the GT Prophet :-)
Thanks Raman, I appreciate it. I'm no prophet, I just want to see a couple cool, fun and relatively inexpensive classes stay around for a while, and keep them cool, fun and inexpensive for as long as possible. I think there's a strong appetite for that, but other classes in years past have been overwhelmed by a small but very vocal minority of big spenders and pro drivers, and it's killed them all. I'd like to try and take a different approach for once and maybe then we can have a different outcome. Keep the GT faith.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Champion

My pleasure Steve.

By the way, go easy on Timmo, he is actually an amazing person and I sincerely don't believe what he wrote was directed at you
Old 03-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Raman
My pleasure Steve.

By the way, go easy on Timmo, he is actually an amazing person and I sincerely don't believe what he wrote was directed at you
+1

Timmo must have had his beer glasses on, lol
Old 03-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Tech Master

This all sounds good, any chance you could also envision GTe (GT brushless) as part of the GT racing for the future ?

These big & fast electric cars are awesome, too, and
1) easier for one-man-team racers since no pitman is needed
2) relatively silent; can be run on places where environmental restrictions for noise apply

Many thanks in advance
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

Does anyone know the weights of the latest Kyosho and OFNA ready to runs? This should include the body they come with, including the ready to run radio and batteries.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Doug M
Does anyone know the weights of the latest Kyosho and OFNA ready to runs? This should include the body they come with, including the ready to run radio and batteries.
Kyosho GT1/GT2 are approx. same weight around 3600-3700gr in ready to run form.

But with modifications (lipo rx pack, enlightened chassis, not carbon chassis though, lighweight drive axles, non-pullstart engine & racing pipe, carbon top decks & servo tray etc.) Kyosho can be get to 3400gr or even below tank empty. Of course this will at least double the cost of the car, but what wouldn't one do for winning ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.