Bearing maintnance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bearing maintnance

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

How often do you change bearings in clutch? Standard bearings, not ceramic. I have to replace mine every 2 litres (1/2 gallon) as they don't have any grease after that period of time. I use Losi HD bearings. Can i just put new grease in them and run them for another 1-2 litres? If so, what do you use to take out a rubber bearing seal?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I blow all the grease out of the inside bearing before running them.... leave just a tiny bit in there. The outside one doesnt matter as its not going to oil down my clutch.

clutch bearing life is entirely dependant on mesh, alignment and chassis flex. I also always install new bearings before any main for piece of mind. So I'll install new bearings before a main, and run them at the next race all through practice and quals, then replace again before the main. Thats usually over 1/2 gallon and theyre in good shape, I've used that routine for years and cant remember the last time I had a clutch bearing failure
Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Most excellent system Tony. That's the way to go and a great example for racers to follow. Most people don't realize that without proper clutch maintenance it does not matter how fast they are
Old 09-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

And what bearings do you use? Losi are very good but quite expensive. Are there any cheaper ones that are good for the clutch? I use ProTek in the whole car exept the clutch. I'm not sure if they will do the work in such extreme conditions?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I use Avid revolutions all through my cars.....
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Try the losi clutch pack from Answer Rc. You get 4 of each size and they are very reasonable
Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I also use that method of clutch bearings after I had one bearing failure during a Amain at a RC Pro Race. I will put new clutch bearings in before any main!!
This the biggest reason I started this post to see what people are doing for bearing maintnace. I agree with all if they are gritty then throw them away but since I take the time to tear down a car and go thru everything rebuild diffs....shocks etc... whats another few min of letting good bearings or even soaking new bearings in this fully synthetic oil it has to help fight against rolling resistance because more rolling resistance you have thats more HP being robbed..but maybe im just having to munch time to think about this crap...LOL
Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Too much time.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
I blow all the grease out of the inside bearing before running them.... leave just a tiny bit in there. The outside one doesnt matter as its not going to oil down my clutch.

clutch bearing life is entirely dependant on mesh, alignment and chassis flex. I also always install new bearings before any main for piece of mind. So I'll install new bearings before a main, and run them at the next race all through practice and quals, then replace again before the main. Thats usually over 1/2 gallon and theyre in good shape, I've used that routine for years and cant remember the last time I had a clutch bearing failure
+1 on that routine, Im going to try it . Thanks Tony