Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy or truggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Buggy or truggy

I have been posting new threads on stuff lately but never really got an answer to Buggy or truggy. I will really be bashing around my yard and on the street and wekeend racicng. Also can someone give me a cheap buggy/truggy kit that I can keep under 450 or 500 dollars. I really don't need the best radio but a solid easy to tune engine with good power for a beginner and a solid buggy/truggy would be great. Also do you think a kit is good because I want to know my truck being a beginner I think the kit building would be a good experience???
Old 01-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Building a kit is the best experience you can have.
For bashing and some racing go for truggy. Buggies are mostly for racing.
Truggy is also more forgiving, easier to drive.

As far as choice is concerned go for what people around race and/or you can get parts the easiest then adjust based on you budget.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I have been posting new threads on stuff lately but never really got an answer to Buggy or truggy. I will really be bashing around my yard and on the street and wekeend racicng. Also can someone give me a cheap buggy/truggy kit that I can keep under 450 or 500 dollars. I really don't need the best radio but a solid easy to tune engine with good power for a beginner and a solid buggy/truggy would be great. Also do you think a kit is good because I want to know my truck being a beginner I think the kit building would be a good experience???
Look I know you want something cheap but think it like this if you buy a cheap buggy or truggy you will upgrade to a better one right so there you spend a whole lot of money. Buy yourself a good buggy or truggy and you will not have to upgrade for a while. What I mean by good is one that you can race with you can bash with any of them they are strong as nails.

Ok Now to which one thats is a hard one for me because I am a Xray fanboy all my RC cars are Xray the NT1 on road, XT8 Truggy, and the Xb808 Buggy.

If you get a buggy and you get to drive it good I mean really good you will have a head start on the truggy because buggy are hard to drive than a truggy which is more forgiving in the way it handles.. So Buy yourself good stuff like that it last for a while.

now on the radio you can get an Airtronics MX-3 which is like $129.99 at Amainhobby my friends has it and it is good radio. I have the 4pk because I like the extra feature I may not use them now but hey one never knows when I would need it..

Do not rush a buy do your homework and then chose.

Good luck
felix Xray Fanboy
Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

there are so many different options out there for you to consider.. i would make a trip to your LHS and see what everyone else has. that can be a huge factor in making a decision
Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

yea i get what everyone is saying. Most people around me race losi but my lhs has parts for kyosho, caster, mugen, traxxas, ae, and duratrax. Can someone give me a good setup to start off with. Just give me the name of a truggy/buggy and all the stuff I will need with it.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

yea i get what everyone is saying. Most people around me race losi but my lhs has parts for kyosho, caster, mugen, traxxas, ae, and duratrax. Can someone give me a good setup to start off with. Just give me the name of a truggy/buggy and all the stuff I will need with it.
Well for what you are describing a truggy is what you want.

With that being said i'm going to reccomend the losi truggy. The race roller can be had for $330 right now because of the 2.0 being released. Or you could get the rtr. to be honest the rtr seems like it would be perfect for what you are looking to do. You get a great radio and a powerful consistant engine.

Race Roller
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9725

RTR
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13687

Now that I see the price of the RTR the roller might be a better deal. You can pick up a novarossi limited edition 3 port engine for $150 right now. Add your radio gear and you are set. In the long run it is probably better to get the pro and add your own gear.

Trust me you might think you are just gonna race "occasionally" now but that will change. You will be bitten by the bug just like the rest of us.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY

With that being said i'm going to reccomend the losi truggy. The race roller can be had for $330 right now because of the 2.0 being released. Or you could get the rtr. to be honest the rtr seems like it would be perfect for what you are looking to do. You get a great radio and a powerful consistant engine.

Race Roller

RTR

Now that I see the price of the RTR the roller might be a better deal. You can pick up a novarossi limited edition 3 port engine for $150 right now. Add your radio gear and you are set. In the long run it is probably better to get the pro and add your own gear.

Trust me you might think you are just gonna race "occasionally" now but that will change. You will be bitten by the bug just like the rest of us.
+1 even tho I do not like Losi but JAMMINKRAZY is saying makes sense and yea you will be at the track eveyweek not once or twice..
Old 01-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY

Race Roller

RTR

+1

The Losi Truggy 1.0 is the cheapest of the race class Buggy's or Truggy's and is highly competitive cheap in price only. Don't get caught up in the latest model junk. That's more like how a car maker puts out new models each year. I would get the kit version and a RB S3 if your own a tight budget if you can afford a few extra dollars like $40. The RB S5 is the more rounded engine with great bottom and top end. The RTR isn't a bad way to go either you will be up and running immediately. However you will need to replace the servo's there cheap. The engine is ok but against a good .21 it will get smoked in the long run. So all and all the kit is better. A little more up front but worth it in the long haul. look for a good used one if you can. Seen some good deals on eBay.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ok, I think I'm sold on the losi kit but can people give me radio suggestions, servo suggestions, and engine suggestions. Keep in min dI just want the best bang for your buck stuff. I don't need the best stuff. Also for the sepktrum stuff is it really worth it for a beginner or will I be fine with a good am/fm radio?? How much torque in a servo do you really need? Also I was looking at the airtronics mx-3 radio with a servo. Is this a good radio and is the servo fine?? Also is the mach 427 engine or the axial spec 1s engine better??
Old 01-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Ok, I think I'm sold on the losi kit but can people give me radio suggestions, servo suggestions, and engine suggestions. Keep in min dI just want the best bang for your buck stuff. I don't need the best stuff. Also for the sepktrum stuff is it really worth it for a beginner or will I be fine with a good am/fm radio?? How much torque in a servo do you really need? Also I was looking at the airtronics mx-3 radio with a servo. Is this a good radio and is the servo fine??

The airtronics mx-3 is a great radio for the money now the servo becarfull because it can get expensive as hell.. I like Futaba Servo a lot of ppl will tell you to get Hitec they are not bad but I had a bad experience with them so I still need to get over that before I buy there brand again..
Old 01-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

is the servo the mx-3 comes with fine?? Still waiting for someone to just give me a list of all the stuff they would get wit there new kit?? Any exhaust suggestions??
Old 01-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

As far as radio, you wont need the features of a high end radio, and for the extra price of a 2.4ghz, you can get a good FM radio, synthesized (spelling?) would fit you good. I think the JR XS3 is going pretty cheap on ebay, and you can get a Spektrum DX2.0 with no servos for $100. For servo, a truggy would need about 175 at a mininum and buggy will need about 150 at a minimum. But you will be fine with the JR 650M servo (i think 142oz torque) will be fine for a first steering servo. Later, if you feel the need to upgrade. Switch the JR 650M to throttle, and picm a servo of choice for steering.

On a side note, you can get the 8ight-T RTR for under $500 free shipping on ebay by a reputable dealer, http://cgi.ebay.com/TEAM-LOSI-8IGHT-...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 01-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

thats an awesome deal but i'm going to be buying this in beginning of february. So any other ideas on the engine?? How is the axial spec 1s and also where should I get the receiver battery and charger?? I have a charger but it has deans??
Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

Ok, I think I'm sold on the losi kit but can people give me radio suggestions, servo suggestions, and engine suggestions. Keep in min dI just want the best bang for your buck stuff. I don't need the best stuff. Also for the sepktrum stuff is it really worth it for a beginner or will I be fine with a good am/fm radio?? How much torque in a servo do you really need? Also I was looking at the airtronics mx-3 radio with a servo. Is this a good radio and is the servo fine?? Also is the mach 427 engine or the axial spec 1s engine better??
My choice engine on a budget would be
Novarossi limited edition 3 port-$150
RB S3-$185
RB S5-$235
Powerhouse performance GRP non tuned .21-$260
Novarossi plus 21-5k- $270

Exhaust pipes
Depending on the engine but I would look at the dynamite pipes. Very durable hard annodized finish, affordable at $50, and very good performance. one of them would fit any of those engines.

Radio
I like Spektrum radios and horizon support.
Spektrum DX2.0-$155
Spektrum DX3.0-$210
Spektrum DX3S-$240
Spektrum DX3R-$300

Servos
Don't even bother with the servos that come with radios. Definately not going to be strong enough.

STEERING
Hitec 7955-$120
JR 9100t-$120
JR 9000t-???

THROTTLE
JR 650-$50
Hitec 985-$70
Futaba S9452-$85

I run Hitec in steering and futaba in throttle on my buggy and truggy. I love the speed of the futaba in throttle and the torque of the hitec in steering. JR servos are really good too. If I were to run something other than the hitec in steering it would be the JR. Hitec and JR seem to be the only ones with the kinda torque I like. There is also a new hitec comming soon 7950 I believe.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

thats an awesome deal but i'm going to be buying this in beginning of february. So any other ideas on the engine?? How is the axial spec 1s and also where should I get the receiver battery and charger?? I have a charger but it has deans??
You will want to stick with a .21 if you are going to be racing(you know you will lol).

As for reciever batt I really like the nimh AA cell packs. Stickman rc makes a nice one for the losi.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18753

All of the other things I listed can be gotten from amain too. I just didnt list all of those links lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.