Wiki Posts
Search

Airline travel with Nitro Gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Airline travel with Nitro Gear

This thread is for any advice or experiences you like to share about flying to a Nitro race. I've not done it before and I'm looking for any heads up you may have.

I'm aware of removing the tank from my car to prevent problems of reminents of fuel. I've been told to take you're vehicles as carry on minus the tires and tank. Also need to keep my two cases of gear down to 50lbs. Sounds impossible to me.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:19 PM
vr6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

good idea geo for this thread, this is definitely a good topic to bring out to the masses
Old 02-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

can you bring gas in your luggage at all? i mean like i know you couldnt bring it in your carry on but can you put it in your suit case?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Geo Y-Rock
This thread is for any advice or experiences you like to share about flying to a Nitro race. I've not done it before and I'm looking for any heads up you may have.

I'm aware of removing the tank from my car to prevent problems of reminents of fuel. I've been told to take you're vehicles as carry on minus the tires and tank. Also need to keep my two cases of gear down to 50lbs. Sounds impossible to me.
why minus the tires... i kinda understand the tank (even though its still dumb that they ask you to remove it when its as empty as can be) or do you take the tires off to save room or what?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
can you bring gas in your luggage at all? i mean like i know you couldnt bring it in your carry on but can you put it in your suit case?
that probably depends on your appearance. im sure theyd let some honest, decent looking, clean shaven guy with a business suit take a little gas in a sealed container... but if youre wearing a turban and a long beard trying to take a bottle of nitro gas onto a plane, get prepared to get shot at.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5
why minus the tires... i kinda understand the tank (even though its still dumb that they ask you to remove it when its as empty as can be) or do you take the tires off to save room or what?
its easyer to fit a car with no tires in to a small bag
Old 02-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
its easyer to fit a car with no tires in to a small bag
thought so. just making sure. thanks.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

test test

(in case it doesnt work, how do i get writing under my name, like the guy above me has the being on the ground drunk thing?)

nvm, it works

how do i make a link only one word.

like, click here, and it brings you to a link?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Well I am planning on going to Florida in March. As far as I can understand, all you gotta do is check your luggage, you can NOT bring nitro with you. 50lbs per bag, 2 bags per person.
If you plan on putting a lock on your luggage (highly recommended) make sure the lock is a TSA approved lock. If its not they will snip off your lock if they have to get into your suitecase. If you have one of these TSA locks, they have a master key to unlock it. It will clearly say on the lock packaging if its a TSA lock (I know Wal Mart in Canada has them).

Im planning on taking a Mugen buggy and Truggy, tools, charger, glow ignitor starter box, glow plugs, radio. Fuel I will buy in Florida.

Edit: I sent TSA an e-mail over a week ago, and still no responce

And this is what Tyler Vik told me...
You're only allowed 50 lbs per bag, and two bags (Usually). So if you can't meet that, then ship anything else. I check everything. I know some people who carry on their cars and radio, so when they get there they have everything they need to race, everythign else can be borrowed. They're very skeptical about fluids, so no motor spray, tire glue, fuel (obviously), etc. I haven't had a problem with shock/diff oils though.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by portyansky
Well I am planning on going to Florida in March. As far as I can understand, all you gotta do is check your luggage, you can NOT bring nitro with you. 50lbs per bag, 2 bags per person.
If you plan on putting a lock on your luggage (highly recommended) make sure the lock is a TSA approved lock. If its not they will snip off your lock if they have to get into your suitecase. If you have one of these TSA locks, they have a master key to unlock it. It will clearly say on the lock packaging if its a TSA lock (I know Wal Mart in Canada has them).

Im planning on taking a Mugen buggy and Truggy, tools, charger, glow ignitor starter box, glow plugs, radio. Fuel I will buy in Florida.

Edit: I sent TSA an e-mail over a week ago, and still no responce

And this is what Tyler Vik told me...
Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5
Porty that's an awesome post. Thank you for the info. I'll look for a TSA lock. I was also told to just use a large zip tie.

Mugen- take the tires off for ease of carry on...less room taken.

Has anyone had bad luck shipping fuel to your hotel? I'm going to have a case sent. I guess I'll call my hotel and check with them. Being near the track like they are, I'm sure it's not the first time a customer has had fuel shipped to them.
Also, has anyone had shock seals leak oil from the pressure change of flying?

Last edited by Geo Y-Rock; 02-17-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:13 PM
vr6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

geo, let me know about your fuel issue, i can work something out with my brother. i'm sure that i can talk to him about having your fuel shipped to his house
Old 02-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Nick, I'll let you know.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, i did an international trip 3 weeks ago from Colombia to Venezuela for a race ... all parts and tools on my bags, just got the truggy on my hands during the flight without problems, just got out the tank and engine ...

Same kind of flight between continental USA and Puerto Rico couple years ago ... same thing, all in the bags except my car and radio ... zero probs.

cya !
Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

just check everything...

NO fuel

you can have it over 50lbs, but youll have to pay extra...gets expensive fast too

we use the big black hard plastic cases from walmart
Old 02-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

Personally, i leave the wheels and tyres on. I imagine what a car must look like from an ariel view on an xray machine... block of metal, pipes and wiring to boxes of electronics all on a metal plate. If it gets pulled out of the bag i want it immediately recognisable as a model car. I also let them know at check in as a precaution for problems.

My little prep includes...

No Nitro fuel on a flight. I wouldn't even try it. Just asking for trouble.

Pull the tank out, make sure there is no fuel in it. Disconnect batteries.

Make sure to have tools to take the head off engine, i know people that have had to open it up to be checked - although that was in, shall we put it as... edgier times. I haven't had it happen but i wouldn't be suprised at some point.

TSA lock is great advice, a must when you can lock a bag up, although international flights i have been on require bags are unlocked.

Make sure your diffs and shocks aren't leaking if you put it in with clothes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.