Wiki Posts
Search

Losi clutch probs

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slayyer
no, dont put all 4 aluminum, thats more for a truggy but use 2 carbon and 2 aluminum with gold spring in carbon and silver in the alums. that should work out. you want a harder spring also not softer. and gold is hard

If he is having heat/wear issues.....a stiffer spring will only wear/heat the clutch even more.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default losi clutch springs

Since I switched to silver on aluminum and gold on carbon my clutches last twice as long as as they did with gold and green springs also engine temps went down.Because clutch wasn't slipping as much?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by deweyharding
Since I switched to silver on aluminum and gold on carbon my clutches last twice as long as as they did with gold and green springs also engine temps went down.Because clutch wasn't slipping as much?

you have a somewhat weak bottom ended motor...and you require that extra stall to get the motor up on pipe and no clutch slipping....you have the perfect set-up if you have long wear low temps and the proper feel you are after....stiffer springs will Normally burn down a clutch as most guys think they need stiffer spring's for the more Hp they have when in reality its the opposite.

what motor are you running ?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default nova plus 4

I'm running the plus 4 with a standard head and 30%.The bottom is just right if you ask me for what its worth!!! The clutches last gallon and perform perfect for that gallon.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by deweyharding
I'm running the plus 4 with a standard head and 30%.The bottom is just right if you ask me for what its worth!!! The clutches last gallon and perform perfect for that gallon.

somewhat makes sense....most nova's are linear and aren't overpowering on the bottom end....but generally speaking the higher the stall on a clutch shoe the sooner it will fail due to that much more heat/slip.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Prophet

hows the alum/carbons work on the eight truggy do the carbons ware to fast on them or not enough punch
Old 09-04-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am running a WS7iii with a 2045 pipe and long header...
Old 09-04-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by piranha21
I am running a WS7iii with a 2045 pipe and long header...
LOL not a "weak" engine, but maybe a touch soft on bottom.

When I had a Losi I ran the King Headz mount and still had problems with the Losi clutchbells...

If you "flip" the rails it moves the engine forward, allowing you to use "standard" clutchbells... you'll have to rotate your carb slightly to clear the center diff top plate. I personally really like the Racers Edge vented clutchbells- but Mugen, Xray, etc work ok too. (Vented bells can be a problem if you have a sloppy pit man... fuel on the clutch will make it slip...)

You also need to watch the clearance to the tank- if you run one of those pretty endcaps on the crank bolt, things get pretty tight.

Note that the problem I had with the Losi clutch was breaking clutchbells- not the bearings. Evidently there was a weak batch a while back or something. The teeth would break away and you could see the side of the bearings. That problem went away when I went to regular clutchbells that didn't use the larger inner bearing like the Losi does.

As for bearings- we don't remove the shields, but we DO blow them out with compressed air prior to installing them.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I never thought to ask if this is in a truggy or buggy?

A truggy needs all aluminum shoes.

A buggy(losi) run two alum and two carbon.

Also, check out this link...

http://forum.losi.com/

All the team guys are on this forum and you can ask guys all the way up to Adam Drake.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

has anybody ran a losi clutch system on a mugen with success?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

http://forum.losi.com/showthread.php?p=2879#post2879
Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by toofast55
has anybody ran a losi clutch system on a mugen with success?

doubt it can work....the losi clutch needs to be used in conjunction with losi bell's...which are alot taller then a standard bell and would put the screw into the tank if not shimmed Just soo....personally i doubt it would work....but that's not to say you cant Make a way for it to work....Almost Anything's possible.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
doubt it can work....the losi clutch needs to be used in conjunction with losi bell's...which are alot taller then a standard bell and would put the screw into the tank if not shimmed Just soo....personally i doubt it would work....but that's not to say you cant Make a way for it to work....Almost Anything's possible.

yeah i put it on my engine and clearance for the tank is okay it is lining up with the gears okay maybe alittle foward but not enough to slip or anything just wondering if somebody has tried it already
Old 09-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by toofast55
yeah i put it on my engine and clearance for the tank is okay it is lining up with the gears okay maybe alittle foward but not enough to slip or anything just wondering if somebody has tried it already

Interesting.....ill assume No shims behind the flywheel...and the teeth aren't too far forward.....cool....let us know how it works out.