Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how do you land really nice

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Talking how do you land really nice

How do you land a buggy,(HB D8)and you can hear on mine is 'ptf' when landing...so bad and doesnt sound very fast
thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2010, 03:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

what makes the "PFT" noise
is it the chassis hitting the ground?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:49 AM
Tech Initiate

What do you mean by 'ptf'?? I assume you mean landing from jumps?

Landings are all about controlling your car in the air to make sure you land as flat as possible. Control is usually determined by throttle or brake to level the car out. If you use your brake in the air it will being the nose of the car down and if you use gas in the air the car will go nose up.

Also, how much droop are you using? If you have minimal droop setting your car will bottom out all the time, however if you use full droop your car's suspension will better on landings but the car will feel more lazy through corners at high speed.

There is much more to a cars set up for jumping, but I would suggest plenty of practice and suspension tweeks to get the righ set up - once you have both right you will be away
Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'd say practice lol.
First time I drove I flipped half the time =/
Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HyperDunley
Also, how much droop are you using? If you have minimal droop setting your car will bottom out all the time, however if you use full droop your car's suspension will better on landings but the car will feel more lazy through corners at high speed.
Hey.

Sorry for dropping into your thread Fattyalan.

Hyper: That's something I can use. I have had a hard time founding out, when to have more or less droop.
Big hard landings = Max droop?
Flat highspeed tracks = Less droop?

I thought it has something to do with how bumpy the track was...

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When ever you can, always downside the jumps. Its much easier on your equipment and you have more control when exiting from the jump.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:58 AM
Tech Adept

stop over shooting the landings and practice. Just because you see a jump dont mean you have to wood it.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HyperDunley
What do you mean by 'ptf'?? I assume you mean landing from jumps?

Landings are all about controlling your car in the air to make sure you land as flat as possible. Control is usually determined by throttle or brake to level the car out. If you use your brake in the air it will being the nose of the car down and if you use gas in the air the car will go nose up.

There is much more to a cars set up for jumping, but I would suggest plenty of practice and suspension tweeks to get the righ set up - once you have both right you will be away

I agree with your post for the most part and you sound very knolageable so dont take this the wrong way but i think more importantly than controlling the car thru the air for a good landing is controlling the car before jumping to get it mooving thru the air at the right speed (track dependant) and level etc.

To my way of thinking when you have to brake or throttle hard to get your car level for landing you simply did not jump right in the 1st place and your corecting the situation ... Worst part is if you have to hit the throttle every jump your loosing vital fuel

Dave
Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc skyline
I agree with your post for the most part and you sound very knolageable so dont take this the wrong way but i think more importantly than controlling the car thru the air for a good landing is controlling the car before jumping to get it mooving thru the air at the right speed (track dependant) and level etc.

To my way of thinking when you have to brake or throttle hard to get your car level for landing you simply did not jump right in the 1st place and your corecting the situation ... Worst part is if you have to hit the throttle every jump your loosing vital fuel

Dave
+1 to what Dave said. Just like in the motocross world...jumps are successfully executed before you even leave the ground. If your takeoff is perfect....the bike (or RC Car) will have a perfect attitude in the air and you won't NEED to correct. It's great that there is a way to adjust for a bad takeoff, but if you can avoid the bad takeoff in the first place....you won't need to adjust ;-)

Practice Practice Practice....
Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MotoGod
+1 to what Dave said. Just like in the motocross world...jumps are successfully executed before you even leave the ground. If your takeoff is perfect....the bike (or RC Car) will have a perfect attitude in the air and you won't NEED to correct. It's great that there is a way to adjust for a bad takeoff, but if you can avoid the bad takeoff in the first place....you won't need to adjust ;-)

Practice Practice Practice....
to add to this, you can stay low to the ground close to the same way as people do in the motocross world except you cant drag the pegs and/or brakes up the faces of jumps like we do racing motocross. carry more speed to the jump instead of waiting till the last second to get your speed. also i have figured out other ways to stay low but still working on doing it perfect every lap. also there are ways to get more hight and length, just like in motocross seat pouncing. there are so many ways how to jump and land perfect but you have to figure out what works for you the best. being smooth is key. also practice as much as you can, that helps more than anything. also watch the "pros" and try to mock them as much as possible.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Shock oil

I've noticed most racers don't have thick enough shock oil in the front shocks. The rear is ok with 35-40 wt oil usually depending on the car, but the front is usually underdampened. Try putting smaller hole pistons and using 40 wt oil, the best solution, or just use 50 wt oil. The front end of 4wd buggies is heavy and your d8 doesn't have much travel, not a bad thing, but it oes need thicker oil or smaller pistons in the front. Watch the car on landings or drop your car on the ground fron 2feet up. you will see the front hit the ground......