Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro - O'Donnell or Byron ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro - O'Donnell or Byron ?

Just wanted to see which fuel people are using on there buggies. I have a Nova P5XLT; the guy at the hobby shop recommended O'donnell but the thing that concerns me is that is only has 7.5% oil, where as the Byron fuel has about 12%. Any opinions?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCelik
Just wanted to see which fuel people are using on there buggies. I have a Nova P5XLT; the guy at the hobby shop recommended O'donnell but the thing that concerns me is that is only has 7.5% oil, where as the Byron fuel has about 12%. Any opinions?

cold fusion......without question ~
Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Byrons has 11% and there prodriver has 9%. The 11% allows your tune window to be slightly larger without toasting your motor. If your new to nitro with the choices you provide I vote there standard gen 2 30% with the 11% oil content.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bpalmer
cold fusion......without question ~
I get to try cold fusion tomorrow! I cant wait.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would not use anything with less than 9% oil and always make sure it has some Castor oil in it. castor is what offers long term protection and Lubrication of all the moving parts and the bearings. castor also helps prevent rust. Engines run with no Castor will look cleaner inside but will not last as long. Byrons Pro Driver 3000 30% has 9% oil (total) and 4% Castor. IMO Byrons is one of the best fuel's on the market. 11% oil may be to high for race applications but some people like it. There is lots of good fuel out there just try not to go below 9% oil
Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Ehhh

They are both great fuels....and I don't think OD discloses the oil content. I could be wrong though....I have not tried their new fuel, nor read the label...but OD is always great stuff and Byrons is awesome too...I run Byrons 25% with 11% oil.....9% aint enough....

Just don't buy into the I tried this new fuel and had to lean my needles 10 hours and now I'm getting 16 minutes on one tank...On an indoor track with two turns....My engine lasted 20 gallons, and never changed a bearing or conrod..The inside is super clean like a brand new engine with a slight film of oil....My engine is faster and never flames out now....
Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
They are both great fuels....and I don't think OD discloses the oil content. I could be wrong though....I have not tried their new fuel, nor read the label...but OD is always great stuff and Byrons is awesome too...I run Byrons..

Just don't buy into the I tried this new fuel and had to lean my needles 10 hours and now I'm getting 16 minutes on one tank...On an indoor track with two turns....My engine lasted 20 gallons, and never changed a bearing or conrod..The inside is super clean like a brand new engine with a slight film of oil....My engine is faster and never flames out now....

I agree there are no miracle fuels... However I have seen first hand the need to substantially alter the needle settings from one fuel to another...As well have seen some of the boutique fuels deliver more power and more runtime then some of the major off the shelf brands..... The needle adjustment maybe is due to viscosity differences, and the power maybe due to nitro content as not all 30% labeled blends have a true 30% nitro content.......
Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I have been running Torco 30% with great results for at least 12 gallons or so now on a few engines. Most fuels are pretty good these days and when I'm out of my current supply or Torco I plan to try some Werks and some Sidewinder.....
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCelik
every fuel has different oils, and oil content isnt exact. i used to run Byrons and it was great but switched to OD and will not run anything else my engines run cooler, more crisp and my engine is clean, no more black "gunk" in it. OD has more than enough oil...

go to the odonnell fuel site and read oil components... http://www.odonnellracing.com/about/index.html
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6

Thats good stuff
Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We have a team mate that runs the Od. fuel, so far he is happy with it.

We have been running Byron's Pro Driver 3000 for 3 years now, without any issues what so ever.
It was devolped with the help of Nova rossi guru Jim Hottinger.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The new OD speed blend is pretty awesome. With the quality/protection values of today's oils, you don't need much. That 7.5% is a combo of synthetic and caster. All that's needed really.

BTW the old OD used 8% all synthetic oil and got me better life out of my engines than any other fuel I have used. The new fuel will protect better even though it has slightly less oil, because it contains both caster and synthetic.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Both are good, just pick one (of the 2 you listed.)
Old 03-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
I agree there are no miracle fuels... However I have seen first hand the need to substantially alter the needle settings from one fuel to another...As well have seen some of the boutique fuels deliver more power and more runtime then some of the major off the shelf brands..... The needle adjustment maybe is due to viscosity differences, and the power maybe due to nitro content as not all 30% labeled blends have a true 30% nitro content.......
very well said neil....just dont run a fuel with less than 9% oil and you should be good to go....
Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Unless something has changed,

Byron's was the only fuel that was covered under Novarossi warrenty. At least in the U.S. and while Jim at Fusion was the importer. I know there have been some changes with Rossi being brought in by another Importer and I don't know if they still reccomend Byron's.

Either of the two mentioned will be fine. Just depends on wht is easier for the OP ot get I guess. I did run some of the Cold Fusion, and would say it's on par with the other top fuels out right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.