Tech Initiate

Default Engine winterizing

How do you do it?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ccordero85
How do you do it?
i dont think you do. all you have to worry about is the electronics.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

You don`t need to "winterize " since the engine will be indoors . For storing an engine burn all fuel and put a few drops of after run oil down the carb and glow plug hole .
Old 11-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here in CA we race year around, but there are times I know I won't be racing a certain engine(s) for a few months or longer. Then I typically will take the motor totally apart, and soak all the parts in Denatured Alcohol for several hours/overnight, for a good cleaning. (Clean out any leftover nirto, carbon build up) I'll inspect parts for any wear or damage, and replace if needed. Rebuild, and air seal it. Then put several drops of oil on the working parts. Place in a zip-lock bag, and then in my hauler till its needed. This way I know I'll have a good working motor when its needed again.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

X2 on Steve's method....basically how i do mine.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Cool thanks for your help guys
Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

this thread sounds interesting. I am not sure what kind of oil is the best for this nitro engines?

Br
racer_hh
Old 11-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
Then I typically will take the motor totally apart, and soak all the parts in Denatured Alcohol for several hours/overnight, for a good cleaning.
I've never done that, but I need to ask do you dip in the whole crankcase too? Are the front and rear bearings removed when you do that?

Sorry, until this day I've never changed the rear or front bearing on my motors. I usually sell them off whenever I get the itch to buy a new one
Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer_hh
this thread sounds interesting. I am not sure what kind of oil is the best for this nitro engines?

Br
racer_hh

Marvel Mystery oil or Marvel Air Tool oil are both excellent storage oils as long as your engine doesn't have a silicone ramp on the crank, if so, use mineral oil.

Yamaha, Penzoil and several others also make two stroke "Fogging" oil for storage of marine engines that make excellent after run/storage oils. These are spray oils so what most guys do is zip tie a piece of fuel tubing to the hose and spray it directly into the carb while spinning it on the starter box. one good shot is a ton of oil so don't over do it, you'll have an oil puddle under your car.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Me careful with the marvel oils. They have been known to eat at some plastic and composite materials. (front seal) Just an FYI

After run oil is best.

Just my thought....the alcohol dip would work with or without the bearings in.
Just make sure you lube them back up real good.

Just like when you install new bearings in your case you should always add some oil to the bearings so they are well lubed. it might take a min. for the fuel oil to coat the bearings.

Just my .02
Tony
Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by razor_clawzz
I've never done that, but I need to ask do you dip in the whole crankcase too? Are the front and rear bearings removed when you do that?

Sorry, until this day I've never changed the rear or front bearing on my motors. I usually sell them off whenever I get the itch to buy a new one

razor,

I soak all the parts, and I don't take the bearings out of the case. But I do clean all the dirt and blast the case with a nirto cleaner first. This way its 99% clean from dirt before I soak them in Clean D-Alcohol. Want I'm trying to do is clean any extra Nirto that may still be in the bearings or case. Nitro is extremely corrosive by itself. Even though there is oil with the nirto, the nitro can still be corrosive to the metal parts. (Just slower) After its totally clean, then I place a few drops of oil on all the working parts to prevent any rust due to moisture in the air. A Zip-Lock bag greatly help with this.

Denatured Alcohol can be picked up at Hone Depot or Lowes in the paint department for around $12.00-$15.00 a gallon.

Last edited by Steve Walters; 11-05-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I take my engines all apart, and clean them up with denatured alcohol. Then put a crap load of after run over everything and put them back together. Then I know there is no old fuel in the lines and everything is ready for the next season!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Thank you very much Steve!