Wiki Posts
Search

Most informative RC "Racing" Magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
We cover lots of races (more than any) and cover racing topics.
Who's we? I'm assuming you work for a publisher, if so, which?

Race scene = JBRL, NitroX, RC Pro Series, ROAR, IFMAR, FEMCA, other bodies, etc.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks man, Love the mag.Don't let the keyboard cowboys get ya down.Alot of us appreciate what you guys do.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by san.
Who's we? I'm assuming you work for a publisher, if so, which?

Race scene = JBRL, NitroX, RC Pro Series, ROAR, IFMAR, FEMCA, other bodies, etc.
JBRL- Limited (it's local and there are too many local races, and for the most part the people that care about them are local...we are national/global)
NitroX- We've been a sponsor since day one..Skinny was there this weekend
RC Pro Series–Title sponsor since day one...we cover the finals
ROAR-Cover the most, and the most pages
IFMAR–Tough because budgets and where but we've covered many of them.
FEMCA-no

Other bodies...rock crawling, drifting, mini racing and other regional races.

And I thought my signature said what magazine....

Xtreme RC Cars
Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

I get them all - - and they are _________. 90% ads 5% content, 2.5% something useful 2.5% of stuff

Stay online - more info here and faster than the mags
Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pete 26
Thanks man, Love the mag.Don't let the keyboard cowboys get ya down.Alot of us appreciate what you guys do.
Don't worry I'm not new to what goes on in forums. As you can see I've been a member here since 2001, and most of the major forums.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by token
I get them all - - and they are _________. 90% ads 5% content, 2.5% something useful 2.5% of stuff

Stay online - more info here and faster than the mags
Okay first off since you're information is untrue, basically you aren't telling the truth.

Magazine all have a target ad to edit ratio. A healthy magazine (just like the ads blinking in my face here) needs ads. The ads in magazine show new product.

But our magazine has always been a target of 50/50. So for every ad we get...we get an page of editorial. That does vary from month to month and with the economy..it's been more editorial.

What happens is that everybody become so smart and knows everything...they think that nothing is useful but arguing and saying everything sucks online.

I can tell you there is usefulness of both...but a recent quote of mine was "the internet has been out ...if you base if off RC tech, 199X-2001 (earlier)...magazines have been there too. It's not like tomorrow magazines or the internet are going out of business.

If you ask the "internet" what car to get, your answers will be thousands of "this is the best"

If you ask a magazine...you get one answer. Do you want to listen to some guy who has only raced or used 3 cars...or the place that has them all.

And YES we do tell you which we think is the best...it's called our X-Best awards...WE pick the best (not reader who vote for what they own).
Old 10-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Okay first off since you're information is untrue, basically you aren't telling the truth.

Magazine all have a target ad to edit ratio. A healthy magazine (just like the ads blinking in my face here) needs ads. The ads in magazine show new product.

But our magazine has always been a target of 50/50. So for every ad we get...we get an page of editorial. That does vary from month to month and with the economy..it's been more editorial.

What happens is that everybody become so smart and knows everything...they think that nothing is useful but arguing and saying everything sucks online.

I can tell you there is usefulness of both...but a recent quote of mine was "the internet has been out ...if you base if off RC tech, 199X-2001 (earlier)...magazines have been there too. It's not like tomorrow magazines or the internet are going out of business.

If you ask the "internet" what car to get, your answers will be thousands of "this is the best"

If you ask a magazine...you get one answer. Do you want to listen to some guy who has only raced or used 3 cars...or the place that has them all.

And YES we do tell you which we think is the best...it's called our X-Best awards...WE pick the best (not reader who vote for what they own).
ok Mr. Buono, what ever. I understand what you are saying - and I have 2 years of what ever mag your refering to right here on my desk.......
I have subscribed for as long as I can remember and have boxes to prove it. I get car action because its car action - its just been a long time and I never canceled, and xtreme I get for the girls (my hobby room walls are covered with them)..... all of the mags have one thing in common - marketing..... its how products sell. no matter how you rename and lable the bottom line is, its an ad............... Now I can go into detail but Im not..........In the end they are ALL opinions......
Old 10-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Now what I would like to see in "MAGS" is:

Pro Factory Paid Drivers Corner - a couple pages with the drivers giving tips and pointers - written by the drivers themselves - not translated.
Drivers giving the odds and ends of buying a particular buggy or truggy. Tell us what sets there ride apart from the competion instead of paid ads in mags or word of mouth on the net............
Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by token
ok Mr. Buono, what ever. I understand what you are saying - and I have 2 years of what ever mag your refering to right here on my desk.......
I have subscribed for as long as I can remember and have boxes to prove it. I get car action because its car action - its just been a long time and I never canceled, and xtreme I get for the girls (my hobby room walls are covered with them)..... all of the mags have one thing in common - marketing..... its how products sell. no matter how you rename and lable the bottom line is, its an ad............... Now I can go into detail but Im not..........In the end they are ALL opinions......
As I've said before. And all of us are out to make a living..that doesn't mean we don't have integrity.

We sell our magazine with marketing...but marketing isn't untrue as you're post sort of implies.

Over the almost 10 years of me being in the magazine industry I've only been asked once by my employer to not tell the truth...and that was for Reader Choice...and I didn't compromise the truth. I fought for the truth.

So go into "detail because without it you're just kind of tip toeing around. I'm not mad at you, or trying to start a fight but when people want to have credibility you have to build it with facts...and not opinion.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I get them all, Xtreem RC, RC Car Action, RC Car Magazine and theres 1 more I cant seem to remember the name right now. They all have good info, sometimes it overlaps but ohh well.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

And I thought my signature said what magazine....

Xtreme RC Cars
What sig?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Kinda off subject but how about giving a few pages of coverage to the Eastcoast racing scene.RC racing is huge out here and none of the magazines cover any of it.We have club races drawing 100 plus entrants.I would gladly do a few race reports if I thought it help gain our fast guys and our tracks some exposure.Every since the Losi Winter nats were scratched we get no coverage except for the Snowbirds.....Hook us up.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

IMO magazines reviews arnt a thing to go by, well for basic stuff, becouse to me how can you tell how good a vehicle is when you test it a few times, it takes me a month or to to get the real feal for a vehicle, not posting a review on it the day it comes out. just my 2 cents
Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pete 26
Kinda off subject but how about giving a few pages of coverage to the Eastcoast racing scene.RC racing is huge out here and none of the magazines cover any of it.We have club races drawing 100 plus entrants.I would gladly do a few race reports if I thought it help gain our fast guys and our tracks some exposure.Every since the Losi Winter nats were scratched we get no coverage except for the Snowbirds.....Hook us up.

We have an open offer of printing local coverage..it's called the "LOCAL" and all that is required is some pics, a winners list and about 300 or less word recap.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rider313
IMO magazines reviews arnt a thing to go by, well for basic stuff, becouse to me how can you tell how good a vehicle is when you test it a few times, it takes me a month or to to get the real feal for a vehicle, not posting a review on it the day it comes out. just my 2 cents

If you need a couple of months to feel how good it is..the car isn't that good out of the box. Most "race kits" come with a setup and we ask for a current setup for our conditions for testing...so we have the starting "hot setup" from the day it hits the track. I don't need 2 months, I've raced these little things for most of my life...I'm actually pretty good at it

If it took me 2 months to figure out how car feels...I wouldn't be doing what I do for a living. We don't post a review the day it comes out. Some kits get less testing than others if it comes in late in the cycle and it's "hot."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.