Search
Like Tree26Likes

CRC F1

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Moogumby
Does anyone know if the CRC guys are in the office? I have sent a few emails on a backorder status past few weeks but haven't gotten a reply.
Please email me directly [email protected] or call the office 315-338-0867
Old 04-25-2017, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dumper
Please email me directly [email protected] or call the office 315-338-0867
Email sent Dumper! Thanks!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serzoni
The steering turnbuckles are just Spec-R aluminum turnbuckles with TC6 ballcups.

https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=4617

Servo mount is already available here- https://www.shapeways.com/product/X7...ty-servo-mount

As for the arms, they're something I've been playing with to get rid of some of the flex with the stock arms. When I'm happy with them I'll put them on Shapeways. The front bulkhead is a multi-piece unit that allows you to adjust reactive caster as well as roll center by raising and lowering the upper half with shims. Still playing around with both.

I purchased the servo mount from Shapeways and it is excellent. Props to you for the design. I'd recommend this to anyone with this chassis.
Serzoni and vivo quevas like this.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Anyone know if there are any pod sides that will fit this car, the ones that use the old plastic inserts to set axle height? I've had issues with my slider pod moving if I crash...and don't tell me not to crash, that's not going to work for me lol.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

I have my CRC F1 handling very good am I'm very happy with the performance. However I have been eliminated from several races due to the steering knuckle failure.

I've watched virtually every other brand of car take far more abuse than what my car sees yet the other brands continue with no failure.

I'm a pretty good and clean driver and I don't often wreck or drive out of control.

I've lost the front knuckle with extremely light contact with another car that was rolling into the starting grid, barely clipping my front tire and it breaks the knuckle. Same when I have brushed the smooth track piece at low speeds.

Are there any options out there to improve the robustness of the steering knuckles that anyone can recommend?
Old 06-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RollingChicane2
I have my CRC F1 handling very good am I'm very happy with the performance. However I have been eliminated from several races due to the steering knuckle failure.

I've watched virtually every other brand of car take far more abuse than what my car sees yet the other brands continue with no failure.

I'm a pretty good and clean driver and I don't often wreck or drive out of control.

I've lost the front knuckle with extremely light contact with another car that was rolling into the starting grid, barely clipping my front tire and it breaks the knuckle. Same when I have brushed the smooth track piece at low speeds.

Are there any options out there to improve the robustness of the steering knuckles that anyone can recommend?
The problem with the steering blocks on the CRC f1 is that there's no physical stop to prevent them from being turned beyond their limit. There's a few homebrew fixes for this. I'll take pics of my car when I get home tonight.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

The problem with the steering blocks on the CRC f1 is that there's no physical stop to prevent them from being turned beyond their limit. There's a few homebrew fixes for this. I'll take pics of my car when I get home tonight.
Awesome, thank you!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Basically, you need to replace the rearmost screw in the socket for the lower arm ball with some kind of post to stop the steering block from turning too far inward. You can use a longer screw with spacers on it, or a screw coming from the bottom of the arm with a standoff on it. There's all kinds of variations that work. Team Saxo (who makes the plastics for the CRC front end) actually made hopup posts for their car that accomplishes this, but there's no Saxo dealer in the US to my knowledge, and $30 shipping for a $4 part is crazy. I'm surprised that CRC hasn't brought these over or made some of their own. Every CRC owner at our track has had the same issue at some point.

Team Saxo steering stops

Here's how I fixed mine. I used some hex-head M3 bolts that fit pefectly into the nut recess in the lower side of the socket, then I screw on some posts that I had 3d printed from the top. You could use regular standoffs that are threaded for 3mm in the same place.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Note to CRC- please switch to carbon fiber with some UV protectant in the resin. After only 2 weekends of racing outdoors, the carbon on my car yellowed worse than my old RC10L.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Basically, you need to replace the rearmost screw in the socket for the lower arm ball with some kind of post to stop the steering block from turning too far inward. You can use a longer screw with spacers on it, or a screw coming from the bottom of the arm with a standoff on it. There's all kinds of variations that work. Team Saxo (who makes the plastics for the CRC front end) actually made hopup posts for their car that accomplishes this, but there's no Saxo dealer in the US to my knowledge, and $30 shipping for a $4 part is crazy. I'm surprised that CRC hasn't brought these over or made some of their own. Every CRC owner at our track has had the same issue at some point.

Team Saxo steering stops

Here's how I fixed mine. I used some hex-head M3 bolts that fit pefectly into the nut recess in the lower side of the socket, then I screw on some posts that I had 3d printed from the top. You could use regular standoffs that are threaded for 3mm in the same place.

Thanks so much for posting that. Makes perfect sense. I'm going to make the mod this week.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RollingChicane2

What has helped a lot of guys around here has been opening the slot in the upper part of the knuckle so its wider. What seems to break the knuckle is impacts that push the knuckle so far it contacts the shaft of the pivot ball.
scirocco14 likes this.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
What has helped a lot of guys around here has been opening the slot in the upper part of the knuckle so its wider. What seems to break the knuckle is impacts that push the knuckle so far it contacts the shaft of the pivot ball.
Thats what guys in this area have done too. Use an xacto knife to round out the back side of the slot. Haven't broke one in over a year after doing that.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by big_ads
Thats what guys in this area have done too. Use an xacto knife to round out the back side of the slot. Haven't broke one in over a year after doing that.
Thanks Robk and Big ads. I should have posted a while ago, coulda saved me a lot of downtime.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've never had that problem. I just break kingpins inside the steering block- having to replace the steering block and installing a new kingpin.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
I've never had that problem. I just break kingpins inside the steering block- having to replace the steering block and installing a new kingpin.
Dremel with a thin wheel, cut slot in broken pin and use a screwdriver to remove it from the block. I went through a rash of broken kingpins last winter. The blocks seem to survive with the slot in them.

Last edited by old_dude; 06-15-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.